do i need a rj45

on my broadband box it has a rj11 cable at the back of it and a usb cable
that plugs in to my computer if i was to get a wirless router would my
computer have to have an rj45 port on it please could someone tell me how to
set one up because i have no rj45 cable chhers
2 answers Last reply
More about rj45

    Hi

    You need an External Ethernet (what you call RJ-45) Modem to do it
    correctly.

    You can try to convince your ISP to exchange your modem, or you can buy your
    own.

    If it is a Cable Internet Connection you can find an Ethernet Cable Modem in
    most computer Mega Stores.

    If it is a DSL Connection it is a little harder to find Ethernet Modem on
    the free market.

    This is one reliable source:
    http://www.dslmodemsdirect.com/ModemModels/5515.htm

    Once you resolve the modem issue this might help:

    Wireless hardware: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Hardware.html

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "jake" <jake@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > on my broadband box it has a rj11 cable at the back of it and a usb cable
    > that plugs in to my computer if i was to get a wirless router would my
    > computer have to have an rj45 port on it please could someone tell me how
    > set one up because i have no rj45 cable chhers

    trying to work out what you are asking here.

    if you get a wireless router & a wireless card for your PC.
    you would plug the CM into the WAN socket on the router.
    link to it by wireless for the PC.
    else you could go via a ethernet cbale from router to pc, so then you would
    need a network socket, yes.

    however, i see then there being no benefit of having the router at all,
    other than getting rid of the USB CM link, which is not a bad idea as far as

    well i tried.

    mike

    "jake" <jake@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > on my broadband box it has a rj11 cable at the back of it and a usb cable
    > that plugs in to my computer if i was to get a wirless router would my
    > computer have to have an rj45 port on it please could someone tell me how
    > set one up because i have no rj45 cable chhers

Computers Cable Wireless Networking