DMA Problem with DVD Devices?

Bruce

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Current set up is:
I've got a DMA problem, I think.

My machine is a Dell Dimension 4550, 2.4mHz, 1gb ram, running XPHome,
SP1. It came with one hard drive on the primary IDE channel, and a
LiteOn DVD-ROM LTD163 as a master and an HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8400B as a
slave on the secondary IDE channel. (Many months ago, I added a slave
drive to the primary IDE, and all is fine with it.)

Here's the problem:

I recently bought a Plextor 708A DVD/-+RW burner, and swapped it out
with the HL-CD burner. (I left the LiteOn DVD-ROM as master, and
configured the Plextor DVD burner as slave.) It's a cable select
system, and both DVD drives are jumpered cable select.

The Plextor works fine, but now I can't play CDs or DVDs on the LiteOn.
If I try an audio cd, cda or mp3, the audio is warbled for the first 10
sedonds of each track, and then returns to normal. If I try to play a
DVD movie, the audio is warbled the entire time, and the video plays
about 2x speed, even though set for normal speed. I've done some
googling and newsgroups research on this, and suspect maybe there is a
DMA configuration problem. Here's my current DMA settings per the
Device Manager/IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers/Secondary IDE
Channel/Properties/Advanced Settings:

Primary Channel:
Device 0 (Master HD)
Transfer Mode: DMA if available
Current Transfer Mode: UDMA Mode 5
Device 1 (Slave HD)
Transfer Mode: DMA if available
Current Transfer Mode: UDMA Mode 5

Secondary Channel:
Device 0 (DVD-ROM)
Transfer Mode: DMA if available
Current Transfer Mode: PIO Mode
Device 1 (DVD/-+RW)
Transfer Mode: DMA if available
Current Transfer Mode: UDMA Mode 2

I can't find how to change the setting from PIO to DMA for the DVD-ROM.
Perhaps disable the secondary IDE controller, reboot, enable the
controller, and reboot?

The most inclusive discussion I've found on XP IDE controllers reverting
back to PIO is here:

http://sniptools.com/vault/getting-back-to-dma-mode-in-windows-xp.htm

I've also read that a DMA setting can go back to PIO if the drive has
been reporting read errors, but mine hasn't.

I'm about ready to try the registry fix, but before I do, any other
ideas?

I couldn't find anything in Kellys-Korner, which is the first place I
look.

Sincerely,
Bruce

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Have you tried updating the MoBo chipset drivers?

--
William

"WTC" <bcrawfordjr(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in news:ud7JV076EHA.3504
@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl:

> Have you tried updating the MoBo chipset drivers?

Acording to the Dell website, there are none. It probably takes a call
to their tech support to find out for sure.

Bruce

Malke

Bruce wrote:

> "WTC" <bcrawfordjr(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in news:ud7JV076EHA.3504
> @TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl:
>
>> Have you tried updating the MoBo chipset drivers?
>>

> Acording to the Dell website, there are none. It probably takes a
> call to their tech support to find out for sure.
>
> Bruce

Bruce, I'd try two things - I'd set the Plextor as master and the
Lite-one as slave on the secondary IDE connector. Then, here is a link
to some really good information about changing the DMA settings:

http://www.michna.com/kb/WxDMA.htm

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers

Bruce

Malke <malke@nospoonnotreally.com> wrote in news:uqTgvYC7EHA.2124
@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl:

>> @TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl:
>>
>>> Have you tried updating the MoBo chipset drivers?
>>>

>> Acording to the Dell website, there are none. It probably takes a
>> call to their tech support to find out for sure.
>>
>> Bruce
>
> Bruce, I'd try two things - I'd set the Plextor as master and the
> Lite-one as slave on the secondary IDE connector. Then, here is a link
> to some really good information about changing the DMA settings:
>
> http://www.michna.com/kb/WxDMA.htm
>
> Malke

Malke,

Thanks for the reply and link. It solved my DMA reverting to PIO issue.

I decided to leave the LiteOn as master and Plextor as slave, because I
wanted to know if that was part of the problem or not, and only make one
configuration/hardware connection change at a time. I then used the
instructions in the link you provided to "Re-enable DMA using the
Registry Editor".

I had subkeys:
0003, Inter(R)82801DB Ultra ATA Storage Controller - 25CD
0004, Primary IDE Channel
0005, Secondary IDE Channel

I deleted MasterIdDataCheckSum in key 0005, and rebooted. The LiteOn is
now using: Current transfer mode: Ultra DMA Mode 2

I tested both audio (cda) and DVD cds in the drive, and all is well
again.

Thanks so much for the help.

Bruce wrote:

> Malke <malke@nospoonnotreally.com> wrote in news:uqTgvYC7EHA.2124
> @TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl:
>
>> Bruce wrote:
>>
>>> "WTC" <bcrawfordjr(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in
>>> @TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl:

>>> Acording to the Dell website, there are none. It probably takes a
>>> call to their tech support to find out for sure.
>>>
>>> Bruce
>>
>> Bruce, I'd try two things - I'd set the Plextor as master and the
>> Lite-one as slave on the secondary IDE connector. Then, here is a
>> link to some really good information about changing the DMA settings:
>>
>> http://www.michna.com/kb/WxDMA.htm
>>
>> Malke
>
> Malke,
>
> Thanks for the reply and link. It solved my DMA reverting to PIO
> issue.
>
> I decided to leave the LiteOn as master and Plextor as slave, because
> I wanted to know if that was part of the problem or not, and only make
> one
> configuration/hardware connection change at a time. I then used the
> instructions in the link you provided to "Re-enable DMA using the
> Registry Editor".
>
> I had subkeys:
> 0003, Inter(R)82801DB Ultra ATA Storage Controller - 25CD
> 0004, Primary IDE Channel
> 0005, Secondary IDE Channel
>
> I deleted MasterIdDataCheckSum in key 0005, and rebooted. The LiteOn
> is now using: Current transfer mode: Ultra DMA Mode 2
>
> I tested both audio (cda) and DVD cds in the drive, and all is well
> again.
>
> Thanks so much for the help.
> Bruce

Excellent! And a big hand to MVP Hans-Georg Michna whose website and
solution it is.

Enjoy your fancy new drive - I'm jealous.

Happy New Year,

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"

chip

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Help! I have a similar problem... I have 2 primary IDE channels (and 1
secondary).
The 2nd primary IDE channel is the one that has reverted back to PIO mode
(the other two are on DMA or ultraDMA, but I'm still experiencing warbling
problems during DVD playback). So, I went to try the solution you've posted,
but was confused when I saw multiple subkeys for my primary IDE channel(s):
0002, 0005 AND 0007 (subkeys for secondary IDE were 0001 and 0006). So,
which MasterIdDataCheckSum do I delete??

"Malke" wrote:

> Bruce wrote:
>
> > Malke <malke@nospoonnotreally.com> wrote in news:uqTgvYC7EHA.2124
> > @TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl:

> >> Bruce, I'd try two things - I'd set the Plextor as master and the
> >> Lite-one as slave on the secondary IDE connector. Then, here is a
> >> link to some really good information about changing the DMA settings:
> >>
> >> http://www.michna.com/kb/WxDMA.htm
> >>
> >> Malke
> >
> > Malke,
> >
> > Thanks for the reply and link. It solved my DMA reverting to PIO
> > issue.
> >
> > I decided to leave the LiteOn as master and Plextor as slave, because
> > I wanted to know if that was part of the problem or not, and only make
> > one
> > configuration/hardware connection change at a time. I then used the
> > instructions in the link you provided to "Re-enable DMA using the
> > Registry Editor".
> >
> > I had subkeys:
> > 0003, Inter(R)82801DB Ultra ATA Storage Controller - 25CD
> > 0004, Primary IDE Channel
> > 0005, Secondary IDE Channel
> >
> > I deleted MasterIdDataCheckSum in key 0005, and rebooted. The LiteOn
> > is now using: Current transfer mode: Ultra DMA Mode 2
> >
> > I tested both audio (cda) and DVD cds in the drive, and all is well
> > again.
> >
> > Thanks so much for the help.
> > Bruce
>
> Excellent! And a big hand to MVP Hans-Georg Michna whose website and
> solution it is.
>
> Enjoy your fancy new drive - I'm jealous.
>
> Happy New Year,
>
> Malke
> --
> MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"

Malke

Chip wrote:

> Help! I have a similar problem... I have 2 primary IDE channels (and 1
> secondary).
> The 2nd primary IDE channel is the one that has reverted back to PIO
> mode (the other two are on DMA or ultraDMA, but I'm still experiencing
> warbling problems during DVD playback). So, I went to try the solution
> you've posted, but was confused when I saw multiple subkeys for my
> primary IDE channel(s): 0002, 0005 AND 0007 (subkeys for secondary IDE
> were 0001 and 0006). So, which MasterIdDataCheckSum do I delete??

For future reference, don't hijack someone else's post. In particular,
you posted to a thread that said "Solved", so you really limited your
chances of anyone even looking at your question. However, I had a lot
of coffee this morning... ;-)

again:

http://www.michna.com/kb/WxDMA.htm

He's very clear on what you need to do. You must be very careful in the
registry or you can hose your system. If you are uncomfortable doing
this, take the machine to a good local professional (not a BestBuy or
CompUSA type of store).

Malke