changing size of hard drive

My hard drive is not large enough for the programs I want to use. So I want
to replace my 5.8 GB Hard drive with a 40 GB hard drive (second hand).I think
I got the jumper in it's righ place as master. But when i go to reboot i get
a message to check my media cable. Which confuses me, I checked everything
conected to the computer all cables and plugs.I checked all the wires inside
and out. all seems to be snug and secured.Confused on what to do to correct
this or what the problem is that would cause this. I'm using Windows XP HE.,
on a second hand Pentium II Processor 399 MHz, 256 RAM., Dell computer. The
Disk Driver in it is a Maxtor 90654D3. and the 40 GB. I want to put into it
is a Maxtor DimonMax Plus8 ATA/133HDD.

Can anyone help explain how to correct or fix this so I can connect my 40 GB
HD.
--
Thank You
Keep SAFE and HEALTHY

    Hi Misty,

    Did you see any mention about needing an 80 conductor cable? Some of the
    new drives don't like to play on the older style cables you're probably
    using.

    ---==X={}=X==---

    Jim Self
    AVIATION ANIMATION, the internet's largest depository.
    http://avanimation.avsupport.com

    Your only internet source for spiral staircase plans.
    http://jself.com/stair/Stair.htm

    Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA)
    Technical Counselor

    Make sure that the red stripe on the Ribbon ( Media Cable ) faces the
    White Power Connector to the hard drive. Also, you may need a Bios update.
    Go to Dell's website and see if there's one for your Motherboard.
    "mistyoldspirit" <mistyoldspirit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My hard drive is not large enough for the programs I want to use. So I
    > want
    > to replace my 5.8 GB Hard drive with a 40 GB hard drive (second hand).I
    > think
    > I got the jumper in it's righ place as master. But when i go to reboot i
    > get
    > a message to check my media cable. Which confuses me, I checked everything
    > conected to the computer all cables and plugs.I checked all the wires
    > inside
    > and out. all seems to be snug and secured.Confused on what to do to
    > correct
    > this or what the problem is that would cause this. I'm using Windows XP
    > HE.,
    > on a second hand Pentium II Processor 399 MHz, 256 RAM., Dell computer.
    > The
    > Disk Driver in it is a Maxtor 90654D3. and the 40 GB. I want to put into
    > it
    > is a Maxtor DimonMax Plus8 ATA/133HDD.
    >
    > Can anyone help explain how to correct or fix this so I can connect my 40
    > GB
    > HD.
    > --
    > Thank You
    > Keep SAFE and HEALTHY
    > mistyoldspirit

    "mistyoldspirit" <mistyoldspirit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >My hard drive is not large enough for the programs I want to use. So I want
    >to replace my 5.8 GB Hard drive with a 40 GB hard drive (second hand).I think
    >I got the jumper in it's righ place as master. But when i go to reboot i get
    >a message to check my media cable. Which confuses me, I checked everything
    >conected to the computer all cables and plugs.I checked all the wires inside
    >and out. all seems to be snug and secured.Confused on what to do to correct
    >this or what the problem is that would cause this. I'm using Windows XP HE.,
    >on a second hand Pentium II Processor 399 MHz, 256 RAM., Dell computer. The
    >Disk Driver in it is a Maxtor 90654D3. and the 40 GB. I want to put into it
    >is a Maxtor DimonMax Plus8 ATA/133HDD.
    >
    >Can anyone help explain how to correct or fix this so I can connect my 40 GB
    >HD.

    A couple of possibilities.

    1. Your computer's BIOS may not be capable of recognizing hard drives
    larger than 32 gb. This is fairly common with systems of that
    vintage. Check the Dell website for information and a possible BIOS
    update for your specific model number.

    2. Did you remove or disconnect the old hard drive completely or are
    you trying to use the computer with both hard drives connected?

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP