SB Live! 5.1 or on-board CMedia 9761 Codec?

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
February 19, 2005 5:49:37 AM

Current config:
Gigabyte 8S648FX-RZ
1GB DDR PC2700
Intel 2GHz. CPU
NVidia FX5200 8X AGP
On-Board Sound - CMedia 9761 CODEC
Supports 2/4/6 channel
Line Out / Line In / Mic In
SPDIF Out / SPDIF In
CD In / AUX_IN / Game Port

I'm just looking for opinions on what would be more benificial as fas as
using the on-board sound or an SB Live! 51 card.
Thanks...
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
February 19, 2005 11:04:49 PM

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 02:49:37 GMT, "GuitarMan" <usa@yourface.com> wrote:

>Current config:
>Gigabyte 8S648FX-RZ
>1GB DDR PC2700
>Intel 2GHz. CPU
>NVidia FX5200 8X AGP
>On-Board Sound - CMedia 9761 CODEC
>Supports 2/4/6 channel
>Line Out / Line In / Mic In
>SPDIF Out / SPDIF In
>CD In / AUX_IN / Game Port
>
>I'm just looking for opinions on what would be more benificial as fas as
>using the on-board sound or an SB Live! 51 card.
>Thanks...

SBlive a must, uses far less CPU Power , makes it far better for Games..
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
February 20, 2005 2:44:58 AM

"GuitarMan" <usa@yourface.com> wrote in message
> Current config:
> Gigabyte 8S648FX-RZ
> 1GB DDR PC2700
> Intel 2GHz. CPU
> NVidia FX5200 8X AGP
> On-Board Sound - CMedia 9761 CODEC
> Supports 2/4/6 channel
> Line Out / Line In / Mic In
> SPDIF Out / SPDIF In
> CD In / AUX_IN / Game Port
>
> I'm just looking for opinions on what would be more benificial as fas as
> using the on-board sound or an SB Live! 51 card.
> Thanks...

SB is an invasive pain in the butt. Use the on-board and save you sanity.
HG
a b V Motherboard
February 21, 2005 8:34:06 PM

"GuitarMan" <usa@yourface.com> wrote in message
> Current config:
> Gigabyte 8S648FX-RZ
> 1GB DDR PC2700
> Intel 2GHz. CPU
> NVidia FX5200 8X AGP
> On-Board Sound - CMedia 9761 CODEC
> Supports 2/4/6 channel
> Line Out / Line In / Mic In
> SPDIF Out / SPDIF In
> CD In / AUX_IN / Game Port
>
> I'm just looking for opinions on what would be more benificial as fas as
> using the on-board sound or an SB Live! 51 card.
> Thanks...

Give the SB to your dogs and use a CMEDIA card - best invest in a separate
card to off load the CPU! You wont have any (driver) problems with Cmedia -
it just works!

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0507-4, 18/02/2005
Tested on: 21/02/2005 5:35:10 PM
a b V Motherboard
February 22, 2005 12:50:37 AM

Hi,

Having just RMA'd (yet another) CreativeSB card...

By all means, first make sure your (already payed for) onboard sound
doesn't already do everything you need. It probably does. The Live!
isn't much of an upgrade, the Audigy 2 series can be... if it works.

Ken.
Mail: kmarsh at charm dot net | Just say "no" to liars SCO and Soyo
WWW: http://www.charm.net/~kmarsh | Return services to local CIS offices!
a b V Motherboard
March 29, 2005 5:24:41 PM

henny wrote:
> "GuitarMan" <usa@yourface.com> wrote in message
>
>>Current config:
>>Gigabyte 8S648FX-RZ
>>1GB DDR PC2700
>>Intel 2GHz. CPU
>>NVidia FX5200 8X AGP
>>On-Board Sound - CMedia 9761 CODEC
>>Supports 2/4/6 channel
>>Line Out / Line In / Mic In
>>SPDIF Out / SPDIF In
>>CD In / AUX_IN / Game Port
>>
>>I'm just looking for opinions on what would be more benificial as fas as
>>using the on-board sound or an SB Live! 51 card.
>>Thanks...
>>

> SB is an invasive pain in the butt.

Especially with SB Live cards known timing and driver issues under XP
SP2... I'd say Guitarman should look into something like a Terratec
card instead, or use onboard audio.

-Rick
!