CD rom wont' read cds

JB

Hi.
The CD rom (Atapi-CD 50max) will not read any cds suddenly.
Windows XP detects the opening and closing but asks for the disk to be put
in. I've tried all types of disks, audio and data, but nuffink.
The pc is Elonex.
I was trying to reformat but it wouldn't boot from the CD.
Is it kaput or is there a little trick that I can try?
Thanks

"jb" <nope@tospam.com> wrote in message
> Hi.
> The CD rom (Atapi-CD 50max) will not read any cds suddenly.
> Windows XP detects the opening and closing but asks for the disk to be put
> in. I've tried all types of disks, audio and data, but nuffink.
> The pc is Elonex.
> I was trying to reformat but it wouldn't boot from the CD.
> Is it kaput or is there a little trick that I can try?
> Thanks

Find out your CD drive's manufacturer and model number. You may have to
remove the computer's cover, locate the CD-ROM drive and read the CD-ROM
drive's label.
As an example, *if* your CD-ROM drive's maker is ACER (you already indicated
it is a 50X), go to
http://www.elonex.co.uk/support/default.asp
and download the ts097.exe file to your computer (in My documents, for
example). Close Internet Explorer and double-click on ts097.exe to expand
the file and then to run the program to update your CD_ROM drive's firmware.
Using this example, choose the proper firmware update from the
above-mentioned web page that matches your CD-ROM drive's manufacturer and
model number.Make sure you have a match.

I hope this will help.. If there no change, post here again and we will look
at other solutions

Mark Delaney, MCT

Hi

Have you recently installed a USB flash Pen/Stick.

I had the same problems for months and could not find ana nswer until today

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware&tid=18794f91-91fe-4e40-a556-ea75ec6f6065&cat=en-us-ms-winxp&lang=en&cr=US&sloc=en-us&m=1&p=1

Hope this helps.