Dual Channel Configuration for GA-7N400 PRO2

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

I just purchased a GA-7N400 PRO2 and 2 sticks of 512mb Kingston Hyper x
PC2700. What slots should the memory sticks be in to get Dual Channel and
what are the benefits of Dual Channel? Do I need to change a jumper or go
into the bios to initiate Dual Channel or is it automatically detected based
on what slots the chips are in?

Put them in dimm1 & dimm3 or dimm 2 & dimm 3. I just put them in the orange
slots 1&3. Will recognize at post. You should see a message 'dual channel
enabled'

Rudy
"Jack" <jack@somewhere.com> wrote in message
> I just purchased a GA-7N400 PRO2 and 2 sticks of 512mb Kingston Hyper x
> PC2700. What slots should the memory sticks be in to get Dual Channel and
> what are the benefits of Dual Channel? Do I need to change a jumper or go
> into the bios to initiate Dual Channel or is it automatically detected
based
> on what slots the chips are in?

Have a look here
http://tw.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Products/Products_GA-7N400%20Pro2%20(Rev%202.0).htm

Dual Channel supposedly increases the memory bandwidth - I haven't really
noticed much difference.

Use same coloured slots if you have 2 memory sticks - normally 1 & 3. If
you want to use more than 2, read the manual - the config is different for
single sided sticks vs dual sided ones.

Because my memory is dual sided I can run sticks in slot 1,2 and and get
dual channel, but if I add another stick to slot 4, it goes back to single
channel.

good board otherwise
"Jack" <jack@somewhere.com> wrote in message
>I just purchased a GA-7N400 PRO2 and 2 sticks of 512mb Kingston Hyper x
>PC2700. What slots should the memory sticks be in to get Dual Channel and
>what are the benefits of Dual Channel? Do I need to change a jumper or go
>into the bios to initiate Dual Channel or is it automatically detected
>based on what slots the chips are in?

Someone is reading the manual wrong. 2 sticks in 1 & 2 (A) will run as
single channel. 2 sticks in 3 & 4 (B) will run as single channel.

2 sticks must be run in 1&3 or 2&3 or 1&4 or 2&4 to enable the DC feature.

You can use 1 & 2 only if you have a 3rd stick in slot 3 or 4 according to
the manual.
And as Peter said you have to watch your DS or SS ram.
Rudy
"Peter Seymour" <seymour@optushome.com.au> wrote in message
> Have a look here

http://tw.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Products/Products_GA-7N400%20Pro2%20(Rev%202.0).htm

> Dual Channel supposedly increases the memory bandwidth - I haven't really
> noticed much difference.
>
> Use same coloured slots if you have 2 memory sticks - normally 1 & 3. If
> you want to use more than 2, read the manual - the config is different for
> single sided sticks vs dual sided ones.
>
> Because my memory is dual sided I can run sticks in slot 1,2 and and get
> dual channel, but if I add another stick to slot 4, it goes back to single
> channel.
>
> good board otherwise
> "Jack" <jack@somewhere.com> wrote in message
> >I just purchased a GA-7N400 PRO2 and 2 sticks of 512mb Kingston Hyper x
> >PC2700. What slots should the memory sticks be in to get Dual Channel and
> >what are the benefits of Dual Channel? Do I need to change a jumper or go
> >into the bios to initiate Dual Channel or is it automatically detected
> >based on what slots the chips are in?

Rudy is correct, there was a typo in my note which meant to say "slots 1,2
and 3"

Peter
"Rudy Kazuti" <rudykube@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Someone is reading the manual wrong. 2 sticks in 1 & 2 (A) will run as
> single channel. 2 sticks in 3 & 4 (B) will run as single channel.
>
> 2 sticks must be run in 1&3 or 2&3 or 1&4 or 2&4 to enable the DC feature.
>
> You can use 1 & 2 only if you have a 3rd stick in slot 3 or 4 according to
> the manual.
> And as Peter said you have to watch your DS or SS ram.
> Rudy
> "Peter Seymour" <seymour@optushome.com.au> wrote in message
>> Have a look here
>>
> http://tw.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Products/Products_GA-7N400%20Pro2%20(Rev%202.0).htm
>>
>> Dual Channel supposedly increases the memory bandwidth - I haven't really
>> noticed much difference.
>>
>> Use same coloured slots if you have 2 memory sticks - normally 1 & 3.
>> If
>> you want to use more than 2, read the manual - the config is different
>> for
>> single sided sticks vs dual sided ones.
>>
>> Because my memory is dual sided I can run sticks in slot 1,2 and and get
>> dual channel, but if I add another stick to slot 4, it goes back to
>> single
>> channel.
>>
>> good board otherwise
>> "Jack" <jack@somewhere.com> wrote in message
>> >I just purchased a GA-7N400 PRO2 and 2 sticks of 512mb Kingston Hyper x
>> >PC2700. What slots should the memory sticks be in to get Dual Channel
>> >and
>> >what are the benefits of Dual Channel? Do I need to change a jumper or
>> >go
>> >into the bios to initiate Dual Channel or is it automatically detected
>> >based on what slots the chips are in?

Just added another 512 module. Put it in slot 2. Now have 1, 2, &3 filled
1.5 gig. Awesome. Autocad & Solidworks run like a dream come true.