Hi,

I run a 7NNXP and Creative DTT2200 Speakers. Is it possible to add-in a
headset without losing any of the speakers. The MIC works fine but I can get
the headset speaker to work. I have a Logitech Dialog-811 headset, should I
have gone for a USB headset?

TIA

Eyghon

Ian

"Eyghon" <eyghon@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I run a 7NNXP and Creative DTT2200 Speakers. Is it possible to add-in a
> headset without losing any of the speakers. The MIC works fine but I can
get
> the headset speaker to work. I have a Logitech Dialog-811 headset, should
> have gone for a USB headset?
>
> TIA
>
> Eyghon

I guess you mean using a front audio connector, run from the jumpers on the
motherboard, for your headset? If so, usually plugging a headset or
speakers into the front socket cancels the rear one. I think! :)

Hi Ian,

I was kinda hoping the Line In which is unused could be switched to output
and so used to power the headset speaker, I guess I'm either gonna have to
get some front Audio connectors or a USB Headset.

Regards

"Ian" <dontspammeallthetime@stuffthespam.net> wrote in message

> "Eyghon" <eyghon@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I run a 7NNXP and Creative DTT2200 Speakers. Is it possible to add-in a
>> headset without losing any of the speakers. The MIC works fine but I
>> can't
> get
>> the headset speaker to work. I have a Logitech Dialog-811 headset, should
>> have gone for a USB headset?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Eyghon
>>

> I guess you mean using a front audio connector, run from the jumpers on
> the
> motherboard, for your headset? If so, usually plugging a headset or
> speakers into the front socket cancels the rear one. I think! :)

Hi,

Eyghon <eyghon@127.0.0.1> wrote:
#Hi Ian,
#
#I was kinda hoping the Line In which is unused could be switched to output
#and so used to power the headset speaker, I guess I'm either gonna have to
#get some front Audio connectors or a USB Headset.

Another alternative is a speaker system with a headphone jack in one of
the speakers, usually the right-front speaker. Most 5.1 systems have
them nowadays, especially the cheap ones.

Ken.
Mail: kmarsh at charm dot net | Just say "no" to liars SCO and Soyo
WWW: http://www.charm.net/~kmarsh | Return services to local CIS offices!

> Hi Ian,
>
> I was kinda hoping the Line In which is unused could be switched to output
> and so used to power the headset speaker, I guess I'm either gonna have to
> get some front Audio connectors or a USB Headset.
>
> Regards

Um, maybe you aren't far wrong actually about switching the socket function.
I don't use mine, because I have an add-in card, so I don't have real
experience. But my reading suggests that the driver software for most of the
newer Realtek on-board sound systems (pretty much standard on a Gigabyte
board lately) will allow you to switch the line-in socket between performing
that function or operating as rear-speaker output. Trouble is, this may
mean you only hear rear channel sound in your phones! You could try
combining this with choosing stereo output instead of 5.1, but in some cases
that may mean the rear channel has no sound output at all! Tricky. In any
case, I would have thought that if these options are available, you would
have seen them in the audio control panel??

Hey Ian,

I think most audio chipsets or cards use switchable input/output but I think
the problem is that I'm currently using 5.1 speakers with front channel
running from Line Out and Rear + Sub running off the Surround Kits Rear &
Sub outputs. This leaves the standard Mobo Line In free but I get the
feeling that connecting the Surround Kit bracket to the mobo disables
switching for the onboard Line In.

At the moment I have the Rear Speakers Cloned so in theory the front & rear
outputs should be the same. I think maybe if the Chipset was 6.1 or 7.1 then
it may well work cos there should be an extra output. I'm gonna try the
Headset on my other system that only has 2.1 speakers.

I'm gonna be upgrading mobo shortly to a Socket939 (probably Gigabyte) so
I'll either wait till then or go get a USB headset.

l8r