Boot to recovery disk

I tried to set up to boot the recovery disk without success using normal USB
CD-ROM drive and looking forward to any assistance from experienced members.

Hardware in use:-
1. Toshiba R150 NB
2. Bootable floppy drive
3. HP 8100 IDE CD Writer Plus + USB 2.0 to IDE adapter

Software in use:-
1. Toshiba recovery disk
2. Create a bootable floppy disk using Windows XP Pro, Windows Explorer,
format option of Create a MS-DOS startup disk.
3. Add ramfd.sys, usbaspi.sys, di1000dd.sys of Motto Hairu DOS Driver to
the floppy disk making the total files as below:-.
COMMAND.COM
CONFIG.SYS
DI1000DD.SYS
DISPLAY.SYS
EGA2.CPI
EGA3.CPI
EGA.CPI
IO.SYS
KEYB.COM
KEYBOARD.SYS
KEYBRD2.SYS
KEYBRD3.SYS
KEYBRD4.SYS
MODE.COM
MSDOS.SYS
RAMFD.SYS
USBASPI.SYS
4. Add following statements in the empty Config.sys file.

device=ramfd.sys
device=usbaspi.sys /r
device=di1000dd.sys

When power-on, the following message appeared:-

Starting...

RAM FD DRIVER Version 1.00
Copyright(C) 2001 NOVAC Co.,Ltd.
Media type : 2HD - 1.44MB
Data copy completion.
Device driver installed.
ASPI for UHCI/OHCI USB mass-storage Version 1.07
Copyright(C) 2001 NOVAC Co.,Ltd.
ID:0 LUN:0 = HP CD-Writer+ 8100 1.0g

DI1000 ASPI DISK Driver Ver 2.00
Copyright(C)2001 NOVAC C0.,Ltd.

Available ID = Not found installable device.

Microsoft(R) Windows Millennium
(C)Copyright Microsoft Corp 1981-1999.

A:\>_

It seems the driver is working to recognise the HP CD-Writer. However, I
could not instruct the computer to read the files in the CD-Writer. Can
someone advise me how to make it work.

Thanks,

Ray
4 answers Last reply
More about boot recovery disk

    This may be a blind shoot but it seems that the BIOS already
    "mounted" your USB CD as emulated drive A.
    So, the DOS CD-ROM driver is not able to reuse it.
    --PA

    "Ray" wrote:
    > I tried to set up to boot the recovery disk without success using normal USB
    > CD-ROM drive and looking forward to any assistance from experienced members.
    >
    > Hardware in use:-
    > 1. Toshiba R150 NB
    > 2. Bootable floppy drive
    > 3. HP 8100 IDE CD Writer Plus + USB 2.0 to IDE adapter
    >
    > Software in use:-
    > 1. Toshiba recovery disk
    > 2. Create a bootable floppy disk using Windows XP Pro, Windows Explorer,
    > format option of Create a MS-DOS startup disk.
    > 3. Add ramfd.sys, usbaspi.sys, di1000dd.sys of Motto Hairu DOS Driver to
    > the floppy disk making the total files as below:-.
    > COMMAND.COM
    > CONFIG.SYS
    > DI1000DD.SYS
    > DISPLAY.SYS
    > EGA2.CPI
    > EGA3.CPI
    > EGA.CPI
    > IO.SYS
    > KEYB.COM
    > KEYBOARD.SYS
    > KEYBRD2.SYS
    > KEYBRD3.SYS
    > KEYBRD4.SYS
    > MODE.COM
    > MSDOS.SYS
    > RAMFD.SYS
    > USBASPI.SYS
    > 4. Add following statements in the empty Config.sys file.
    >
    > device=ramfd.sys
    > device=usbaspi.sys /r
    > device=di1000dd.sys
    >
    > When power-on, the following message appeared:-
    >
    > Starting...
    >
    > RAM FD DRIVER Version 1.00
    > Copyright(C) 2001 NOVAC Co.,Ltd.
    > Media type : 2HD - 1.44MB
    > Data copy completion.
    > Device driver installed.
    > ASPI for UHCI/OHCI USB mass-storage Version 1.07
    > Copyright(C) 2001 NOVAC Co.,Ltd.
    > ID:0 LUN:0 = HP CD-Writer+ 8100 1.0g
    >
    > DI1000 ASPI DISK Driver Ver 2.00
    > Copyright(C)2001 NOVAC C0.,Ltd.
    >
    > Available ID = Not found installable device.
    >
    > Microsoft(R) Windows Millennium
    > (C)Copyright Microsoft Corp 1981-1999.
    >
    > A:\>_
    >
    > It seems the driver is working to recognise the HP CD-Writer. However, I
    > could not instruct the computer to read the files in the CD-Writer. Can
    > someone advise me how to make it work.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Ray

    RC,

    Obviously, you did miss my question. Booting to recovery disk must have OS
    issue. I need to recover the OS. The popular way to recover the OS is
    using recovery disk provided by the computer suppliers. I believe most of
    IT people should know it without explanation. If not, please forgive me and
    I take this opportunity to explain in detail. From your question, probably
    you are not aware of DOS USB driver that is quite popular and developing
    since 2003. The hardware that I am talking about of course is for Windows
    XP. Hope you now feel better.

    Ray

    "R. C. White" <rc@corridor.net> wrote in message
> [...]
    >
    > RC
    > --
    > R. C. White, CPA
    > San Marcos, TX
    > rc@corridor.net
    > Microsoft Windows MVP
    >
    > "Ray" <NoSpam-ray.ck.li@Gmail.com> wrote in message
    >>I tried to set up to boot the recovery disk without success using normal
    >>USB
    >> CD-ROM drive and looking forward to any assistance from experienced
    >> members.
    >>
    >> Hardware in use:-
    >> 1. Toshiba R150 NB
    >> 2. Bootable floppy drive
    >> 3. HP 8100 IDE CD Writer Plus + USB 2.0 to IDE adapter
    >>
    >> Software in use:-
    >> 1. Toshiba recovery disk
    >> 2. Create a bootable floppy disk using Windows XP Pro, Windows
    >> Explorer,
    >> format option of Create a MS-DOS startup disk.
    >> 3. Add ramfd.sys, usbaspi.sys, di1000dd.sys of Motto Hairu DOS Driver
    >> the floppy disk making the total files as below:-.
    >> COMMAND.COM
    >> CONFIG.SYS
    >> DI1000DD.SYS
    >> DISPLAY.SYS
    >> EGA2.CPI
    >> EGA3.CPI
    >> EGA.CPI
    >> IO.SYS
    >> KEYB.COM
    >> KEYBOARD.SYS
    >> KEYBRD2.SYS
    >> KEYBRD3.SYS
    >> KEYBRD4.SYS
    >> MODE.COM
    >> MSDOS.SYS
    >> RAMFD.SYS
    >> USBASPI.SYS
    >> 4. Add following statements in the empty Config.sys file.
    >>
    >> device=ramfd.sys
    >> device=usbaspi.sys /r
    >> device=di1000dd.sys
    >>
    >> When power-on, the following message appeared:-
    >>
    >> Starting...
    >>
    >> RAM FD DRIVER Version 1.00
    >> Copyright(C) 2001 NOVAC Co.,Ltd.
    >> Media type : 2HD - 1.44MB
    >> Data copy completion.
    >> Device driver installed.
    >> ASPI for UHCI/OHCI USB mass-storage Version 1.07
    >> Copyright(C) 2001 NOVAC Co.,Ltd.
    >> ID:0 LUN:0 = HP CD-Writer+ 8100 1.0g
    >>
    >> DI1000 ASPI DISK Driver Ver 2.00
    >> Copyright(C)2001 NOVAC C0.,Ltd.
    >>
    >> Available ID = Not found installable device.
    >>
    >> Microsoft(R) Windows Millennium
    >> (C)Copyright Microsoft Corp 1981-1999.
    >>
    >> A:\>_
    >>
    >> It seems the driver is working to recognise the HP CD-Writer. However, I
    >> could not instruct the computer to read the files in the CD-Writer. Can
    >> someone advise me how to make it work.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Ray

    >"R. C. White" <rc@corridor.net> wrote in message

    >> You are hopelessly entangling several conflicting products here. :>(

    >> First, Microsoft did not write that Recovery Disk and does not know what
    >> is on it. That's Toshiba's creation, so you'll have to deal with Toshiba

    Well, sorta. Those who buy bland lame systems are stuck with these
    recovery disks, which MS finds acceptable as licensed product. The
    OEM is responsible for support, as always with OEM MS software, but
    nonetheless it's the OS that MS wrote.

    >> Second, Windows ME is based on MS-DOS. It knows NOTHING about Windows XP.

    WinME isn't "based on DOS" any more than Win95 was; the relationship
    to DOS is more complex than that.

    >> Why are you booting into MS-DOS?

    Possibly because XP as a CD-booted OS is too useless to do what he
    wants to do, such as create FAT32 partitions > 32G? Or is your line
    that if XP can't do it, you don't need it?

    The above is VERY likely to apply with the crippleware OEM recovery
    CDs, which are likely to give the user no chance to create any sort of
    custom partitioning at all, or use a response file to customise the
    installation process (e.g. avoid default OS path, etc.).

    >> Third: What is your WinXP problem? I can't tell from your post. You
    >> start out by telling us how you've tried to fix...something...but you
    >> never say what was wrong in the first place. Or maybe it was in there
    >> somewhere, but I missed it. Why do you want or need to boot the Recovery
    >> Disk?

    *Now* you are making sense ;-)

    >> you would have a better chance if you start at the beginning by telling us
    >> clearly just what problem you are trying to solve.

    Amen!

    >> "Ray" <NoSpam-ray.ck.li@Gmail.com> wrote in message

    >>>I tried to set up to boot the recovery disk without success using normal
    >>>USB CD-ROM drive and looking forward to any assistance
    >>>
    >>> Hardware in use:-
    >>> 1. Toshiba R150 NB
    >>> 2. Bootable floppy drive
    >>> 3. HP 8100 IDE CD Writer Plus + USB 2.0 to IDE adapter
    >>>
    >>> Software in use:-
    >>> 1. Toshiba recovery disk
    >>> 2. Create a bootable floppy disk using Windows XP Pro, Windows
    >>> Explorer,
    >>> format option of Create a MS-DOS startup disk.
    >>> 3. Add ramfd.sys, usbaspi.sys, di1000dd.sys of Motto Hairu DOS Driver
    >>> to the floppy disk making the total files as below:-.
    >>> COMMAND.COM
    >>> CONFIG.SYS
    >>> DI1000DD.SYS
    >>> DISPLAY.SYS
    >>> EGA2.CPI
    >>> EGA3.CPI
    >>> EGA.CPI
    >>> IO.SYS
    >>> KEYB.COM
    >>> KEYBOARD.SYS
    >>> KEYBRD2.SYS
    >>> KEYBRD3.SYS
    >>> KEYBRD4.SYS
    >>> MODE.COM
    >>> MSDOS.SYS
    >>> RAMFD.SYS
    >>> USBASPI.SYS
    >>> 4. Add following statements in the empty Config.sys file.
    >>>
    >>> device=ramfd.sys
    >>> device=usbaspi.sys /r
    >>> device=di1000dd.sys

    What I don't see here, is a line in A:\Autoexec.bat that binds MSCDEx
    to your CD-ROM driver (presumably di1000dd.sys ?). Without that, you
    have extended BIOS support to the CD drive, but you haven't extended
    OS support to use that drive. Try this...

    1) Copy MSCDEX.EXE to A:

    2) Edit this line in A:\CONFIG.SYS

    device=di1000dd.sys /D:8CHRNAME

    3) Add this line to A:\AUTOEXEC.BAT

    mscdex /D:8CHRNAME

    >>> When power-on, the following message appeared:-
    >>>
    >>> Starting...
    >>>
    >>> RAM FD DRIVER Version 1.00
    >>> Copyright(C) 2001 NOVAC Co.,Ltd.
    >>> Media type : 2HD - 1.44MB
    >>> Data copy completion.
    >>> Device driver installed.
    >>> ASPI for UHCI/OHCI USB mass-storage Version 1.07
    >>> Copyright(C) 2001 NOVAC Co.,Ltd.
    >>> ID:0 LUN:0 = HP CD-Writer+ 8100 1.0g
    >>>
    >>> DI1000 ASPI DISK Driver Ver 2.00
    >>> Copyright(C)2001 NOVAC C0.,Ltd.
    >>>
    >>> Available ID = Not found installable device.

    Missing /D: parameter?

    >>> Microsoft(R) Windows Millennium
    >>> (C)Copyright Microsoft Corp 1981-1999.
    >>>
    >>> A:\>_
    >>>
    >>> It seems the driver is working to recognise the HP CD-Writer. However, I
    >>> could not instruct the computer to read the files in the CD-Writer. Can
    >>> someone advise me how to make it work.

    "He's such a character!"
    ' Yeah - CHAR(0) '

    Cquirke,

    Thanks for your useful advice. I believe the XP startup disk is useless for
    this application and I will change it to Windows 98 SE that supports CD-ROM
    drive, MSCDEX. Then try your suggestion.

    Ray

Recovery Disk Windows XP