Microsoft warranty on their mice?

Several times I've come across references to Microsoft offering a
(unofficial?) lifetime warranty on their mice. If this is true it
would be very nice for me; I have a couple of high-end dead Microsoft
mice I bought several years ago (a wireless intellimouse explorer and
a intellimouse explorer 3). Using Microsoft Canada support gets me
nowhere because it does not accept the Product IDs I have on the
bottom of the mice. Should I dump dead mice in the garbage or is there
still some value to them? Thanks.

norm

I have the optical 5 button Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer and have gotten
it replaced for free. Called Microsoft and 2 or 3 days later I had a new
one. It came with a limited lifetime warranty. Don't know what the limited
part means.

"Angelfood MacSpade" <angelfood_macspade@hotmailNOSPAM.com> wrote in message
Several times I've come across references to Microsoft offering a
(unofficial?) lifetime warranty on their mice. If this is true it
would be very nice for me; I have a couple of high-end dead Microsoft
mice I bought several years ago (a wireless intellimouse explorer and
a intellimouse explorer 3). Using Microsoft Canada support gets me
nowhere because it does not accept the Product IDs I have on the
bottom of the mice. Should I dump dead mice in the garbage or is there
still some value to them? Thanks.

norm

Wrong. Many of Microsoft's current mouse products come with 1, 3 or 5 year
warranties, it depends on the product. And while they may not offer
lifetime warranties any more, my Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer 5 button
optical mouse came in a box with the following statement on the front of the
box "Limited lifetime hardware warranty". If you would like, I can send you
a picture. Like I stated in my other post, I have had Microsoft honor that
warranty when my mouse broke.

Microsoft does not offer a lifetime warranty on any
of its hardware. Generally, the warranty is valid for
one (1) year from date of purchase.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Angelfood MacSpade" wrote:

| Several times I've come across references to Microsoft offering a
| (unofficial?) lifetime warranty on their mice. If this is true it
| would be very nice for me; I have a couple of high-end dead Microsoft
| mice I bought several years ago (a wireless intellimouse explorer and
| a intellimouse explorer 3). Using Microsoft Canada support gets me
| nowhere because it does not accept the Product IDs I have on the
| bottom of the mice. Should I dump dead mice in the garbage or is there
| still some value to them? Thanks.

One other thing that bothers me - Microsoft has a very comprehensive
support network but I guess I've fallen through the cracks. I'm trying
to send email but I can't past the product ID stage. For the Microsoft
Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer my product ID is
55083-576-2233911-0. Microsoft support insists it has to be of the
form 12345-XXX-7654321-98765. If I cheat and add some numbers to the
end I get told it's not a valid ID number for this mouse. I guess this
is actually a pretty good system to keep support insulated from the
users. Microsoft must be proud.

Call MSFT Parts and Replacement at 1-800-360-7561 (it's valid in Canada) and
explain the situation.

Have your mouse and proof of purchase on hand to expedite the proces.

--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Find out about the MS MVP Program -

"Angelfood MacSpade" <angelfood_macspade@hotmailNOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> Several times I've come across references to Microsoft offering a
> (unofficial?) lifetime warranty on their mice. If this is true it
> would be very nice for me; I have a couple of high-end dead Microsoft
> mice I bought several years ago (a wireless intellimouse explorer and
> a intellimouse explorer 3). Using Microsoft Canada support gets me
> nowhere because it does not accept the Product IDs I have on the
> bottom of the mice. Should I dump dead mice in the garbage or is there
> still some value to them? Thanks.

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Did you buy the mouse from Microsoft????There are a lot of knock offs
both the keyboard and the mouse. Creative had the same problem with
their SB live 5.1.

> One other thing that bothers me - Microsoft has a very comprehensive
> support network but I guess I've fallen through the cracks. I'm trying
> to send email but I can't past the product ID stage. For the Microsoft
> Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer my product ID is
> 55083-576-2233911-0. Microsoft support insists it has to be of the
> form 12345-XXX-7654321-98765. If I cheat and add some numbers to the
> end I get told it's not a valid ID number for this mouse. I guess this
> is actually a pretty good system to keep support insulated from the
> users. Microsoft must be proud.

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 13:16:13 -0500, "Jason Tsang"
<jason-onlineDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote:

>Call MSFT Parts and Replacement at 1-800-360-7561 (it's valid in Canada) and
>explain the situation.
>
>Have your mouse and proof of purchase on hand to expedite the proces.

There's the rub - it's going to take me a loong time to find the
receipt. But I know I have it and I'll find it if I know in advance it
will do me some good. Thanks.

I purchased it from a major retailer in Canada (Future Shop). Me
thinks the screw up is with Microsoft's support template.

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 23:38:23 -0500, "Frank" <bbunny@bqik.net> wrote:

>Did you buy the mouse from Microsoft????There are a lot of knock offs
>both the keyboard and the mouse. Creative had the same problem with
>their SB live 5.1.
>
>"Angelfood MacSpade" <angelfood_macspade@hotmailNOSPAM.com> wrote in message
>> One other thing that bothers me - Microsoft has a very comprehensive
>> support network but I guess I've fallen through the cracks. I'm trying
>> to send email but I can't past the product ID stage. For the Microsoft
>> Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer my product ID is
>> 55083-576-2233911-0. Microsoft support insists it has to be of the
>> form 12345-XXX-7654321-98765. If I cheat and add some numbers to the
>> end I get told it's not a valid ID number for this mouse. I guess this
>> is actually a pretty good system to keep support insulated from the
>> users. Microsoft must be proud.

I had an issue with my new Microsoft Keyboard and Mouse and had no luck with
Microsoft's web site. It sends you in circles.
I found the following toll free phone number and received excellent help
from the people there. They even called me back the next day to see how I
liked the service. This is toll-free in Canada. 1-800-936-5700.