Replacing Primary Harddrive?

Is there a way to install a new harddrive and copy all the info to it from
the old drive so that the new one will boot and work identically as the old
one?. Without having to reinstall all the applications? Basically I
guess I need a exact image on the new drive so that when I turn on the
computer it operates as normal but now with a bigger and faster hardrive.

Any tips appreciated.

Most hard drive manufacturers provide a utility to "clone" the hard drive
over to the new large drive. This is usually provided on a CD inside a
retail kit. If you do not get a CD with your new drive, you may be able to
download the utility from the manufacturer's web site.

If you can not find such utility, then I would recommend you get:

Norton Ghost
PowerQuest DriveCopy (now by Symantec)

I had great success with Ghost.

"jtsnow" <jtsnow@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way to install a new harddrive and copy all the info to it from
> the old drive so that the new one will boot and work identically as the
> old one?. Without having to reinstall all the applications? Basically
> I guess I need a exact image on the new drive so that when I turn on the
> computer it operates as normal but now with a bigger and faster hardrive.
>
> Any tips appreciated.

martin

I am using PowerQuests Drive Image 7.0 (now Symantec) and when I install the
new larger drive I get Drive Read Error - press ctl-alt-del to restart.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

"Yves Leclerc" wrote:

> Most hard drive manufacturers provide a utility to "clone" the hard drive
> over to the new large drive. This is usually provided on a CD inside a
> retail kit. If you do not get a CD with your new drive, you may be able to
> download the utility from the manufacturer's web site.
>
> If you can not find such utility, then I would recommend you get:
>
> Norton Ghost
> PowerQuest DriveCopy (now by Symantec)
>
> I had great success with Ghost.
>

> "jtsnow" <jtsnow@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Is there a way to install a new harddrive and copy all the info to it from
> > the old drive so that the new one will boot and work identically as the
> > old one?. Without having to reinstall all the applications? Basically
> > I guess I need a exact image on the new drive so that when I turn on the
> > computer it operates as normal but now with a bigger and faster hardrive.
> >
> > Any tips appreciated.

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

You will need to be more specific about when you get the Drive Read
Error if you would like a good chance of getting useful suggestions. Is
this message from BIOS, Windows before boot menu, Windows during
startup, randomly after startup, ...

Yes. Most HDs come with a utility to do just that, or go to the
manufacturer's homepage and download it from there.
Or use something like Ghost 9.0 (2005) to do it.

Usually it is done by first connecting the new drive as slave to the old
drive, booting with the utility disk, copying HD, disconnect old HD, jumper
new HD as master, booting and checking that everything works. You can now
connect the old disk as slave and use it as secondary disk...

--
Tumppi
Reply to group

"jtsnow" <jtsnow@yahoo.com> kirjoitti viestissä
> Is there a way to install a new harddrive and copy all the info to it from
> the old drive so that the new one will boot and work identically as the
old
> one?. Without having to reinstall all the applications? Basically I
> guess I need a exact image on the new drive so that when I turn on the
> computer it operates as normal but now with a bigger and faster hardrive.
>
> Any tips appreciated.

ok..thanks. GHost sounds good. I take it the backup software that comes
with XP doesnt recreate the bootable aspects or OS aspects of the HD? in
otherwords I cannot restore a HD and expect it to boot when performed by the
XP version? Its only a file by file backup? Ghost allows you to create a
bootable back up then I take it?

"Thomas Wendell" <tumppiw_NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Yes. Most HDs come with a utility to do just that, or go to the
> manufacturer's homepage and download it from there.
> Or use something like Ghost 9.0 (2005) to do it.
>
> Usually it is done by first connecting the new drive as slave to the old
> drive, booting with the utility disk, copying HD, disconnect old HD,
> jumper
> new HD as master, booting and checking that everything works. You can now
> connect the old disk as slave and use it as secondary disk...
>
> --
> Tumppi
> Reply to group
> Most learned on nntp://news.mircosoft.com
> Helsinki, Finland (remove _NOSPAM)
> (translations from FI/SE not always accurate)
>

> "jtsnow" <jtsnow@yahoo.com> kirjoitti viestissä
>> Is there a way to install a new harddrive and copy all the info to it
>> from
>> the old drive so that the new one will boot and work identically as the
> old
>> one?. Without having to reinstall all the applications? Basically I
>> guess I need a exact image on the new drive so that when I turn on the
>> computer it operates as normal but now with a bigger and faster hardrive.
>>
>> Any tips appreciated.

Hi,

.......Ghost allows you to create a bootable back up then I take it?

Exactly. Ghost 2003 can be had for less than $20 from ebay right now and
will do everything you need, including cloning your drive.

---==X={}=X==---

Jim Self
AVIATION ANIMATION, the internet's largest depository.
http://avanimation.avsupport.com

Your only internet source for spiral staircase plans.
http://jself.com/stair/Stair.htm

Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA)
Technical Counselor

got it. I was left with impression I needed version 9 to work with XP. I
plan to back up 4 computers on my home network to one common external
harddrive. Will 2003 work ok then. I can get version 9, CD only for $32.

thanks again

"PA20Pilot" <PA20Pilot@faa.gov> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> ......Ghost allows you to create a bootable back up then I take it?
>
> Exactly. Ghost 2003 can be had for less than $20 from ebay right now and
> will do everything you need, including cloning your drive.
>
> ---==X={}=X==---
>

> Jim Self
> AVIATION ANIMATION, the internet's largest depository.
> http://avanimation.avsupport.com
>
> Your only internet source for spiral staircase plans.
> http://jself.com/stair/Stair.htm
>
> Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA)
> Technical Counselor

Ghost 2003 has problems with external disks (at least USB), as I understand
it..
And Ghost 9.0, if full package, should come with 2003 on a second CD...

--

> got it. I was left with impression I needed version 9 to work with XP. I
> plan to back up 4 computers on my home network to one common external
> harddrive. Will 2003 work ok then. I can get version 9, CD only for $32.
>
> thanks again
>
> "PA20Pilot" <PA20Pilot@faa.gov> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > ......Ghost allows you to create a bootable back up then I take it?
> >
> > Exactly. Ghost 2003 can be had for less than $20 from ebay right now and
> > will do everything you need, including cloning your drive.
> >
> > ---==X={}=X==---
> >

> > Jim Self
> > AVIATION ANIMATION, the internet's largest depository.
> > http://avanimation.avsupport.com
> >
> > Your only internet source for spiral staircase plans.
> > http://jself.com/stair/Stair.htm
> >
> > Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA)
> > Technical Counselor

martin

"Tom" wrote:

> You will need to be more specific about when you get the Drive Read
> Error if you would like a good chance of getting useful suggestions. Is
> this message from BIOS, Windows before boot menu, Windows during
> startup, randomly after startup, ...

Hi Tom,

I have formatted the intended drive and tried DriveImage 7.0 again to copy
the primary drive to a larger drive. When I boot up I get as far as the
Microsoft Windows XP home blue screen then it hangs.

I get the same if I use the Western Digital disk tools to copy from primary
to new drive as well. Normally once the blue screen appears the caption
'Windows XP is starting' would appear. This does not happen. It makes me
think that a desktop.ini file is not being recognised or not found.

Can anyone help please?

Thanks