drivers?

I have a laptop that I recently re-installed WinXP Pro on. I was able to
install all the devices except the onboard sound device. I have the correct
drivers and they install fine, but Windows is not working with them. When I
install the drivers using the setup program or through Device Manager, the
"Multimedia Audio Device" moves from the "? Other Devices" to the "Sound,
video..." in the Device Manager. However, an "!" is next to it and when
viewing the status of it, it says that the drivers are not installed. If I
restart, it remains the same. According to Device Manager, Lavalys Everest,
SiSoftware Sandra, and my computer's manual, the device is a "SiS 7012 Audio
Device". However, if I let Windows auto-install the drivers, it installs
drivers for a "SiS 7018 Audio Device", and these drivers still don't work.
If I have Windows search for the drivers in a specific location, it will find
the 7012 drivers and recognize them and install them, but they still don't
work. I have tried disabling the device, uninstalling the drivers,
reinstalling the drivers, installing the drivers in safe-mode and none of
these have any affect. What should I do to get these drivers installed
properly?

First, check in the BIOS set up screen so as to see if the sound device is
enabled.

"LargeNostril" <LargeNostril@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a laptop that I recently re-installed WinXP Pro on. I was able to
> install all the devices except the onboard sound device. I have the
> correct
> drivers and they install fine, but Windows is not working with them. When
> install the drivers using the setup program or through Device Manager, the
> "Multimedia Audio Device" moves from the "? Other Devices" to the "Sound,
> video..." in the Device Manager. However, an "!" is next to it and when
> viewing the status of it, it says that the drivers are not installed. If
> restart, it remains the same. According to Device Manager, Lavalys
> Everest,
> SiSoftware Sandra, and my computer's manual, the device is a "SiS 7012
> Audio
> Device". However, if I let Windows auto-install the drivers, it installs
> drivers for a "SiS 7018 Audio Device", and these drivers still don't work.
> If I have Windows search for the drivers in a specific location, it will
> find
> the 7012 drivers and recognize them and install them, but they still don't
> work. I have tried disabling the device, uninstalling the drivers,
> reinstalling the drivers, installing the drivers in safe-mode and none of
> these have any affect. What should I do to get these drivers installed
> properly?

Already checked and it is enabled. And with a little bit more work I seem to
have screwed things up even more without doing anything. I just restarted my
computer and now when I try to install the drivers, I get this error:
"The name is already in use as either a service name or a service display
name."

Any thoughts?