disable integrated graphic card

I have a Gateway at work, and need to add a new graphic card as the one
in the box is bad - I'm getting 'ghosts' even with a new monitor. How do
I disable the on-board video? Adding a new one is no problem.
2 answers Last reply
More about disable integrated graphic card

    BIOS, ask Gateway for instructions, they have tech support.
    Ghosts are more likely caused by external RF sources.

    "JG" <jgNOTAT@imshomeloans.com> wrote in message
    |I have a Gateway at work, and need to add a new graphic
    card as the one
    | in the box is bad - I'm getting 'ghosts' even with a new
    monitor. How do
    | I disable the on-board video? Adding a new one is no
    problem.

    To disable nearly any on-board function, enter the BIOS setup and look
    around for the function (e.g., video) and for an option like enable/disable
    or on/off or similar. The way to enter the BIOS setup varies form PC to PC,
    but is usually displayed for a few seconds when you reboot. Look for a
    message about pressing some F-key or special key (e.g., DEL) to enter the
    setup or chnage settings. This message occurs very early in the
    power-on-test seqeunce, usually before the RAM is tested.

    The safest thing to do would be to get advice form the PC maker, in this
    case, Gateway. If they do not respond, you can try experimenting, but be
    warned, that the wrong BIOS settings will stop the computer long before it
    gets to the windows level.

    Be very sure that you write down every setting before you change it, and
    change only one or two at a time, reboot, and test. If disaster strikes,
    immediately re-enter the BIOS setup and return the settings to the way they
    were.

    Also, do not play with the speed/timming settings. In theory these can be
    used to improve the performance of the PC, which I called overclocking. In
    practice, a small error here can overhead the PC and literally destroy it.

    Also, before playing with the BIOS, try to determine whether the BIOS has an
    automaic option to disable the on-board video, when it detects a video card.
    Many modern PCs have such an option.

    As for the ghosts, they are more likely caused by something other than
    dueling video controllers. Some monitors have an option to "degauss" and
    you might want to try that. Also, remove any magnets from the area of the
    monitor; this includes speakers. Finally, while rare, the various colors of
    a monitor could be failing to focus on the same spot. There may also be an
    adjustment for this.

    As a test, you might try another monitor, one know to not have a ghost
    problem. Analog monitors are pretty much plug&play. Of course, power off,
    then swap monitors, then reboot.
    "JG" <jgNOTAT@imshomeloans.com> wrote in message
    >I have a Gateway at work, and need to add a new graphic card as the one in
    >the box is bad - I'm getting 'ghosts' even with a new monitor. How do I
    >disable the on-board video? Adding a new one is no problem.

Hardware Graphics Cards Microsoft Windows XP