GA K8NXP-SLI SATA bios...?

pixel

will gigabyte be upgrading the bios on this mobo soon so it can boot to
sata...? i've posted this question a while ago but no-one really had a
clue on the subject.

basically windowsXP install can see sata disks but there's no way with
the bios on this board to select sata or scsi as a boot option, so
windows can never boot regardless of whether it installs or not.

the only option in the bios for hard disk boot order is "bootable add-in
cards". we managed to get scsi showing up in the boot order but that was
in jbod single-raid mode and would blue-screen every windows install.

so like i can't understand how a manufacturer could be so incompetent.
do they really not have a clue about components which go on their own
product..? if if a component is from a 3rd party gigabyte is still
totally responsible for testing to see that the said component doesn't
render the features on their motherboard useless.

"pixel" <dontwant@nospam.com> wrote in message
> will gigabyte be upgrading the bios on this mobo soon so it can boot to
> sata...? i've posted this question a while ago but no-one really had a
> clue on the subject.
>
> basically windowsXP install can see sata disks but there's no way with the
> bios on this board to select sata or scsi as a boot option, so windows can
> never boot regardless of whether it installs or not.
>
> the only option in the bios for hard disk boot order is "bootable add-in
> cards". we managed to get scsi showing up in the boot order but that was
> in jbod single-raid mode and would blue-screen every windows install.
>
> so like i can't understand how a manufacturer could be so incompetent. do
> they really not have a clue about components which go on their own
> product..? if if a component is from a 3rd party gigabyte is still totally
> responsible for testing to see that the said component doesn't render the
> features on their motherboard useless.

Don't understand this, i have the nForce 4 Ultra board K8NXP-9 and it boots
fine. I have two 74GB Raptors running in RAID 0, boots fine, works fine, i
just have a floppy ready with the nForce 6.39 drivers and load both of them.

It works, every single time, i have F4 bios.

pixel

Richard Dower wrote:
> "pixel" <dontwant@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>so like i can't understand how a manufacturer could be so incompetent. do
>>they really not have a clue about components which go on their own
>>product..? if if a component is from a 3rd party gigabyte is still totally
>>responsible for testing to see that the said component doesn't render the
>>features on their motherboard useless.
>

> Don't understand this, i have the nForce 4 Ultra board K8NXP-9 and it boots
> fine. I have two 74GB Raptors running in RAID 0, boots fine, works fine, i
> just have a floppy ready with the nForce 6.39 drivers and load both of them.

because you have two sata drives you can use the raid option, and the
raid bios does let you boot from a raid set. unfortunately it won't work
with a single sata drive which can't be striped, the only option for us
was a single drive jbod raid which kept crashing.

still we shouldn't need raid config just to select 'sata' in the bios,
even my 18 month old Pheonix BIOS / VIA K8X800 can boot from a single
sata drive fine.

> because you have two sata drives you can use the raid option, and the raid
> bios does let you boot from a raid set. unfortunately it won't work with a
> single sata drive which can't be striped, the only option for us was a
> single drive jbod raid which kept crashing.
>
> still we shouldn't need raid config just to select 'sata' in the bios,
> even my 18 month old Pheonix BIOS / VIA K8X800 can boot from a single sata
> drive fine.

I'm sure this is pure user error, not setting the bios correctly. First of
all i would disable the IDE/SATA RAID option, and also disable any IDE RAID
options that are set to enable. I'd disable everything else possible you are
not going to use, then i'd have my floppy ready and load both drivers during
F6, though the RAID Class Controller should not be needed.