old ITE RAID bios on GA-8KNXP rev 2

ronald

I use the ITE8212 chipset with bios version 1.41 onboard the GA-8KNXP Rev 2.
with system bios FH.
For Windows XP I use the latest ITE RAID driver 1.7.1.92, manufactured by
ITE and certified by MS.
In Windows eventlog the following msg keeps turning up:
"The driver has detected that device \Device\Scsi\iteraid1 has old or
out-of-date firmware. Reduced performance may result."
Time for a ITE RAID Bios upgrade I thought.
I checked the Gigabyte site, nothing about Bios upgrade for RAID.
Checked the ITE-website, they have at least 3 newer BIOS versions for the
ITE8212 chipset, the latest being 1.7.1.92 (aha, the same release number as
my Windows driver release number).
Dowloaded the binary file and ITEFLASH, made a boot disk and while crossing
my fingers started the flash.

1. ITE 8212 chipset detected: OK (so far so good)
2. Binary input file validated (this might work)
3. Erase BIOS: OK (now its getting tricky)
4. Blank check: Failed (Not good !)
5. Program BIOS: OK (Is this my lucky day ?)
6. Verify BIOS: Failed (Oh no, do I have a bootable system left ?)
7. Press any key to reboot

Thankfully the system rebooted with the old RAID Bios 1.41 again.
I think I had a narrow escape here.

For the moment I think I leave the Bios for what is, no matter what XP says,
or has anyone any clever ideas ?

Regards, Ronald

"Ronald" <ronald.van.der.graafNOSPAMJUNK@planet.nl> wrote in message
>I use the ITE8212 chipset with bios version 1.41 onboard the GA-8KNXP Rev
>2. with system bios FH.
> For Windows XP I use the latest ITE RAID driver 1.7.1.92, manufactured by
> ITE and certified by MS.
> In Windows eventlog the following msg keeps turning up:
> "The driver has detected that device \Device\Scsi\iteraid1 has old or
> out-of-date firmware. Reduced performance may result."
> Time for a ITE RAID Bios upgrade I thought.
> I checked the Gigabyte site, nothing about Bios upgrade for RAID.
> Checked the ITE-website, they have at least 3 newer BIOS versions for the
> ITE8212 chipset, the latest being 1.7.1.92 (aha, the same release number
> as my Windows driver release number).
> Dowloaded the binary file and ITEFLASH, made a boot disk and while
> crossing my fingers started the flash.
>
> 1. ITE 8212 chipset detected: OK (so far so good)
> 2. Binary input file validated (this might work)
> 3. Erase BIOS: OK (now its getting tricky)
> 4. Blank check: Failed (Not good !)
> 5. Program BIOS: OK (Is this my lucky day ?)
> 6. Verify BIOS: Failed (Oh no, do I have a bootable system left ?)
> 7. Press any key to reboot
>
> Thankfully the system rebooted with the old RAID Bios 1.41 again.
> I think I had a narrow escape here.
>
> For the moment I think I leave the Bios for what is, no matter what XP
> says, or has anyone any clever ideas ?
>
> Regards, Ronald

You can't flash using that method, the ITE BIOS is programmed by Gigabyte
and can't be upgraded. The binary file you downloaded was for add-in cards.

> Yes, that did cross my mind. But since GB doesnt supply upgrades I'm stuck
> with this bios ?

Correct.

I used to run my linux system off the 8212f ... But the performance was
miserable and the driver support was poor (at best). Last year, I
ditched everything and reinstalled, using just the plain ol' IDE,
thereby making my life much simpler (with no difference in performance).

Oddly enough, I bought this mobo because, at the time, I liked (and
initially used) some of its features. But after 2 years of on-and-off
use (well, 1 year of continuous use if you count the fact that my first
8KNXP mobo died), I've removed the DPS2, don't use the 8212F, and
generally regret having dished out the extra money for the 8KNXP when an
MSI Neo, at half the price, probably would have sufficed. ;)

Kris

ronald

Kris Vorwerk wrote:
>>Yes, that did cross my mind. But since GB doesnt supply upgrades I'm stuck
>>with this bios ?
>

> Correct.
>
> I used to run my linux system off the 8212f ... But the performance was
> miserable and the driver support was poor (at best). Last year, I
> ditched everything and reinstalled, using just the plain ol' IDE,
> thereby making my life much simpler (with no difference in performance).

Interesting that you say this. I was having spurious interrupts (sent mouse/keyboard crazy) when running off the 8212F on Linux and ended up installing SATA drives.

Brendan

ronald

Kris Vorwerk wrote:
>> Yes, that did cross my mind. But since GB doesnt supply upgrades I'm
>> stuck with this bios ?
>

> Correct.
>
> I used to run my linux system off the 8212f ... But the performance
> was miserable and the driver support was poor (at best). Last year, I
> ditched everything and reinstalled, using just the plain ol' IDE,
> thereby making my life much simpler (with no difference in
> performance).
>
> Oddly enough, I bought this mobo because, at the time, I liked (and
> initially used) some of its features. But after 2 years of on-and-off
> use (well, 1 year of continuous use if you count the fact that my
> first 8KNXP mobo died), I've removed the DPS2, don't use the 8212F,
> and generally regret having dished out the extra money for the 8KNXP
> when an MSI Neo, at half the price, probably would have sufficed. ;)
>
> Kris

Kris, I bought this board as a replacement for a MSI board with RAID which
died on me. My experience is that experiencies can vary (lol).
Use RAID for mirroring, so performance isn't too big an issue.
I like the board, stable, i dont OC, with good fan-control via SpeedFan.

Lets see if I can pester GB too, to get a bios-upgrade.

Thx, Ronald

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 15:44:33 +0100, "Ronald"
<ronald.van.der.graafNOSPAMJUNK@planet.nl> wrote:

>Richard Dower wrote:
>> "Ronald" <ronald.van.der.graafNOSPAMJUNK@planet.nl> wrote in message
>>> I use the ITE8212 chipset with bios version 1.41 onboard the
>>> GA-8KNXP Rev 2. with system bios FH.
>>> For Windows XP I use the latest ITE RAID driver 1.7.1.92,
>>> manufactured by ITE and certified by MS.
>>> In Windows eventlog the following msg keeps turning up:
>>> "The driver has detected that device \Device\Scsi\iteraid1 has old or
>>> out-of-date firmware. Reduced performance may result."
>>> Time for a ITE RAID Bios upgrade I thought.
>>> I checked the Gigabyte site, nothing about Bios upgrade for RAID.
>>> Checked the ITE-website, they have at least 3 newer BIOS versions
>>> for the ITE8212 chipset, the latest being 1.7.1.92 (aha, the same
>>> release number as my Windows driver release number).
>>> Dowloaded the binary file and ITEFLASH, made a boot disk and while
>>> crossing my fingers started the flash.
>>>
>>> 1. ITE 8212 chipset detected: OK (so far so good)
>>> 2. Binary input file validated (this might work)
>>> 3. Erase BIOS: OK (now its getting tricky)
>>> 4. Blank check: Failed (Not good !)
>>> 5. Program BIOS: OK (Is this my lucky day ?)
>>> 6. Verify BIOS: Failed (Oh no, do I have a bootable system left ?)
>>> 7. Press any key to reboot
>>>
>>> Thankfully the system rebooted with the old RAID Bios 1.41 again.
>>> I think I had a narrow escape here.
>>>
>>> For the moment I think I leave the Bios for what is, no matter what
>>> XP says, or has anyone any clever ideas ?
>>>
>>> Regards, Ronald
>>>

>> You can't flash using that method, the ITE BIOS is programmed by
>> Gigabyte and can't be upgraded. The binary file you downloaded was
>> for add-in cards.
>
>Yes, that did cross my mind. But since GB doesnt supply upgrades I'm stuck
>with this bios ?

No Pester them like I did, I have had 1.7 for some time now..

Also lets my chose what Drive to boot from..

They led me to believe it would soon be out.

Mind is for the GA-8I875 Ultra same board and Rev as the GA-8KNXP but
with out the power thing..

ronald

>> Yes, that did cross my mind. But since GB doesnt supply upgrades I'm
>> stuck with this bios ?
>
> No Pester them like I did, I have had 1.7 for some time now..
>
> Also lets my chose what Drive to boot from..
>
> They led me to believe it would soon be out.
>
> Mind is for the GA-8I875 Ultra same board and Rev as the GA-8KNXP
> but with out the power thing..

Which email address you used for pestering (lol). How long ago was this ?

Regards, Ronald

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 13:52:39 +0100, "Ronald"
<ronald.van.der.graafNOSPAMJUNK@planet.nl> wrote:

>>> Yes, that did cross my mind. But since GB doesnt supply upgrades I'm
>>> stuck with this bios ?
>>
>> No Pester them like I did, I have had 1.7 for some time now..
>>
>> Also lets my chose what Drive to boot from..
>>
>> They led me to believe it would soon be out.
>>
>> Mind is for the GA-8I875 Ultra same board and Rev as the GA-8KNXP
>> but with out the power thing..
>
>Which email address you used for pestering (lol). How long ago was this ?
>
>Regards, Ronald

No the Web site one..

About 6 months ago..

My Bios is F11a, F10 is the one on there web site