How do i set the jumper?

I'm not very technically minded but thought I should be able to instal an
additional CD/DVD Rom Drive myself. I've got an instruction telling me to set
the jumper on the new device. The device instructions tell me to set it to
Slave and the computer handbook says to set it to Cable Select, so that's the
first problem! More basic than that, though, is how do I do it? What do you
have to do to set it? The instructions all assume that this is as simple as
inserting a CD, or something, but I haven't the faintest idea what it means!!

LeeG

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2004

Hi ChrisD

If you look at the rear of the cd/dvd drive you should see a set of 6 pins(2
rows of three) with a black link between two of them. This is normally set
to the master configuration. Above it might be the letters MA(stands for
master). If you look above the other pins you should see SL (slave) and CS
(cable select). The balck link needs to be plugged onto the two pins under
the SL pins. This will make the drive act as a slave. The ribbon cable
needs to be plugged into the drive using the second connector with the other
drive being plugged into the end connector. Plug the power leads in and the
switch the computer on. Next you need to go into your BIOS and auto detect
drives. This will make the computer recodnise the new drive. Save the new
settings and the computer should restart and you should have two drives
available.

Hope this helps

LeeG

"ChrisD" wrote:

> I'm not very technically minded but thought I should be able to instal an
> additional CD/DVD Rom Drive myself. I've got an instruction telling me to set
> the jumper on the new device. The device instructions tell me to set it to
> Slave and the computer handbook says to set it to Cable Select, so that's the
> first problem! More basic than that, though, is how do I do it? What do you
> have to do to set it? The instructions all assume that this is as simple as
> inserting a CD, or something, but I haven't the faintest idea what it means!!

Chris;
Look on the back of the drive.
You will see a small jumper
Usually black but they come in a variety of colors.
The jumper is small, about 1/16" x 1/8"
You will see letters on the drive, "SL" "MA" "CS" and possibly others.
SL = Slave
MA = Master
CS = Cable Select.
Check your manual and/or contact the manufacturer for details.

Look on the original drive.
Assuming you are connecting the new CD to the same cable as the old:
If original is Master, new must be Slave.
If original is Cable Select, new must also be Cable select.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

"ChrisD" <ChrisD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm not very technically minded but thought I should be able to instal an
> additional CD/DVD Rom Drive myself. I've got an instruction telling me to
> set
> the jumper on the new device. The device instructions tell me to set it to
> Slave and the computer handbook says to set it to Cable Select, so that's
> the
> first problem! More basic than that, though, is how do I do it? What do
> you
> have to do to set it? The instructions all assume that this is as simple
> as
> inserting a CD, or something, but I haven't the faintest idea what it
> means!!

"ChrisD" <ChrisD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| I'm not very technically minded but thought I should be able to instal an
| additional CD/DVD Rom Drive myself. I've got an instruction telling me to
set
| the jumper on the new device. The device instructions tell me to set it to
| Slave and the computer handbook says to set it to Cable Select, so that's
the
| first problem! More basic than that, though, is how do I do it? What do
you
| have to do to set it? The instructions all assume that this is as simple
as
| inserting a CD, or something, but I haven't the faintest idea what it
means!!

Single, Master and Slave Drives and Jumpering
http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confJumpering-c.html

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.