New Hard drive disk installation

I installed a new WD hard drive disk today hoping to be able to retire my old
one. I set it up as slave and used the installation disk provided to do a
full copy of my old HD to the new one. I then tried to remove the old one
and install the new one as master but my PC will not boot with the new HD as
master. I am using Windows XP but it was installed by the PC manufacturer on
the original HDU, so do not have the installation CDs. Anything I can do to
turn my new HD as a system disk?

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

If your new WD drive is the only drive on the cable then you are not
supposed to set the jumper to Master; it is supposed to be omittted if there
is a single drive on the cable.

The computer won't boot if the primary partition on the new drive is not
active. Boot with floppy and run FDISK to activate the primary partition.

"Monty" <Monty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I installed a new WD hard drive disk today hoping to be able to retire my
>old
> one. I set it up as slave and used the installation disk provided to do a
> full copy of my old HD to the new one. I then tried to remove the old one
> and install the new one as master but my PC will not boot with the new HD
> as
> master. I am using Windows XP but it was installed by the PC manufacturer
> on
> the original HDU, so do not have the installation CDs. Anything I can do
> turn my new HD as a system disk?

NO, not all hard drive have to have no jumper taken off for it to be a
master drive.

> If your new WD drive is the only drive on the cable then you are not
> supposed to set the jumper to Master; it is supposed to be omittted if
> there is a single drive on the cable.
>
> The computer won't boot if the primary partition on the new drive is not
> active. Boot with floppy and run FDISK to activate the primary partition.
>
> "Monty" <Monty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I installed a new WD hard drive disk today hoping to be able to retire my
>>old
>> one. I set it up as slave and used the installation disk provided to do
>> full copy of my old HD to the new one. I then tried to remove the old
>> one
>> and install the new one as master but my PC will not boot with the new HD
>> as
>> master. I am using Windows XP but it was installed by the PC
>> manufacturer on
>> the original HDU, so do not have the installation CDs. Anything I can do
>> turn my new HD as a system disk?

Hello Yves,

Western Digital "WD", which is the manufacturer being discussed, have
the jumper removed for SINGLE DISK configuration.

Yves Leclerc wrote:

> NO, not all hard drive have to have no jumper taken off for it to be a
> master drive.
>

> "Jerry" <NoSpamChiefZeke@MSN.com> wrote in message
>
>>If your new WD drive is the only drive on the cable then you are not
>>supposed to set the jumper to Master; it is supposed to be omittted if
>>there is a single drive on the cable.
>>
>>The computer won't boot if the primary partition on the new drive is not
>>active. Boot with floppy and run FDISK to activate the primary partition.
>>
>>"Monty" <Monty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>I installed a new WD hard drive disk today hoping to be able to retire my
>>>old
>>>one. I set it up as slave and used the installation disk provided to do
>>>full copy of my old HD to the new one. I then tried to remove the old
>>>one
>>>and install the new one as master but my PC will not boot with the new HD
>>>as
>>>master. I am using Windows XP but it was installed by the PC
>>>manufacturer on
>>>the original HDU, so do not have the installation CDs. Anything I can do
>>>turn my new HD as a system disk?

Yves:
Just to clarify. Jerry is trying to point out that Western Digital has this
unique jumper setting (at least I think it's "unique" since I haven't come
across another hard drive manufacturer that uses that particular jumper
setting) of Single. You use that jumper setting when the HD is the only
device on the IDE cable, i.e., no device is connected as Slave. If there are
two devices connected to the IDE cable, then you use the Master jumper
setting. So it's possible that when the OP connected his WD drive as Master,
there was no Slave device connected. And that would result (usually) in the
system not recognizing the drive.

Jerry's other suggestion about using FDISK "to activate the primary
partition" is really not relevant in this situation.
Art

> NO, not all hard drive have to have no jumper taken off for it to be a
> master drive.
>

> "Jerry" <NoSpamChiefZeke@MSN.com> wrote in message
>> If your new WD drive is the only drive on the cable then you are not
>> supposed to set the jumper to Master; it is supposed to be omittted if
>> there is a single drive on the cable.
>>
>> The computer won't boot if the primary partition on the new drive is not
>> active. Boot with floppy and run FDISK to activate the primary
>> partition.
>>
>> "Monty" <Monty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>I installed a new WD hard drive disk today hoping to be able to retire my
>>>old
>>> one. I set it up as slave and used the installation disk provided to do
>>> full copy of my old HD to the new one. I then tried to remove the old
>>> one
>>> and install the new one as master but my PC will not boot with the new
>>> HD as
>>> master. I am using Windows XP but it was installed by the PC
>>> manufacturer on
>>> the original HDU, so do not have the installation CDs. Anything I can
>>> do to
>>> turn my new HD as a system disk?

br549

It's a WD drive and yes the jumper would have to be removed. Monty would
have had a jumper from pins 3 to 4 (dual slave), on the jumper block, when
he did the copy and then would have had to remove the jumper for it to work
as a master alone.

NO, not all hard drive have to have no jumper taken off for it to be a
master drive.

> If your new WD drive is the only drive on the cable then you are not
> supposed to set the jumper to Master; it is supposed to be omittted if
> there is a single drive on the cable.
>
> The computer won't boot if the primary partition on the new drive is not
> active. Boot with floppy and run FDISK to activate the primary partition.
>
> "Monty" <Monty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I installed a new WD hard drive disk today hoping to be able to retire my
>>old
>> one. I set it up as slave and used the installation disk provided to do
>> full copy of my old HD to the new one. I then tried to remove the old
>> one
>> and install the new one as master but my PC will not boot with the new HD
>> as
>> master. I am using Windows XP but it was installed by the PC
>> manufacturer on
>> the original HDU, so do not have the installation CDs. Anything I can do
>> turn my new HD as a system disk?

Thank you all for your responses. I will ensure that my WD is configured ok
as master. I thought I had it but hey, maybe not. I have read a lot of
other posts about having to recover Windows XP. Could this be my problem? I
did use the manufacturer's CD copy utility to copy from my old disk to the
new. I read a lot about using Ghost software instead. Could this be my
problem? Should I retry using Ghost software?

"BR549" wrote:

> It's a WD drive and yes the jumper would have to be removed. Monty would
> have had a jumper from pins 3 to 4 (dual slave), on the jumper block, when
> he did the copy and then would have had to remove the jumper for it to work
> as a master alone.
>
> "Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote in message
> NO, not all hard drive have to have no jumper taken off for it to be a
> master drive.
>

> "Jerry" <NoSpamChiefZeke@MSN.com> wrote in message
> > If your new WD drive is the only drive on the cable then you are not
> > supposed to set the jumper to Master; it is supposed to be omittted if
> > there is a single drive on the cable.
> >
> > The computer won't boot if the primary partition on the new drive is not
> > active. Boot with floppy and run FDISK to activate the primary partition.
> >
> > "Monty" <Monty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >>I installed a new WD hard drive disk today hoping to be able to retire my
> >>old
> >> one. I set it up as slave and used the installation disk provided to do
> >> full copy of my old HD to the new one. I then tried to remove the old
> >> one
> >> and install the new one as master but my PC will not boot with the new HD
> >> as
> >> master. I am using Windows XP but it was installed by the PC
> >> manufacturer on
> >> the original HDU, so do not have the installation CDs. Anything I can do
> >> turn my new HD as a system disk?

JimY

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2004

"Monty" wrote:

> Thank you all for your responses. I will ensure that my WD is configured ok
> as master. I thought I had it but hey, maybe not. I have read a lot of
> other posts about having to recover Windows XP. Could this be my problem? I
> did use the manufacturer's CD copy utility to copy from my old disk to the
> new. I read a lot about using Ghost software instead. Could this be my
> problem? Should I retry using Ghost software?
>
> "BR549" wrote:
>
> > It's a WD drive and yes the jumper would have to be removed. Monty would
> > have had a jumper from pins 3 to 4 (dual slave), on the jumper block, when
> > he did the copy and then would have had to remove the jumper for it to work
> > as a master alone.
> >
> > "Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote in message
> > NO, not all hard drive have to have no jumper taken off for it to be a
> > master drive.
> >

> > "Jerry" <NoSpamChiefZeke@MSN.com> wrote in message
> > > If your new WD drive is the only drive on the cable then you are not
> > > supposed to set the jumper to Master; it is supposed to be omittted if
> > > there is a single drive on the cable.
> > >
> > > The computer won't boot if the primary partition on the new drive is not
> > > active. Boot with floppy and run FDISK to activate the primary partition.
> > >
> > > "Monty" <Monty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

My WD paper work states to set it for single drive use no jumpers as Jerry
posted.

Hi,

If you do go with Ghost, get 2003 from ebay for less than $20. I use
it's clone function every friday to make a bootable copy of my drive in
case things go to hell.

---==X={}=X==---

Jim Self
AVIATION ANIMATION, the internet's largest depository.
http://avanimation.avsupport.com

Your only internet source for spiral staircase plans.
http://jself.com/stair/Stair.htm

Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA)
Technical Counselor

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Monty" <Monty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I installed a new WD hard drive disk today hoping to be able to retire my
>old
> one. I set it up as slave and used the installation disk provided to do a
> full copy of my old HD to the new one. I then tried to remove the old one
> and install the new one as master but my PC will not boot with the new HD
> as
> master.
> I am using Windows XP but it was installed by the PC manufacturer on
> the original HDU, so do not have the installation CDs. Anything I can do
> turn my new HD as a system disk?

It is hard telling what has happened with a crippled OEM version of Windows
XP
( which Microsoft does not support). Go to where you made the purchase.