Card Reader/Memory Stick Problem

a b } Memory
December 29, 2004 4:57:52 AM

Hi all,

I have a 32MB Sony Memory Stick and a 256MB Sandisk Memory Stick Pro. Both
these cards work fine in my Sony Cybershot camera.

However when I insert them into the Memory Card reader in my laptop the
Sony works fine but the Sandisk while detected by the system does not get a
drive letter assigned.

Any ideas what I can do to resolve this? Any help greatly appreciated.

M.J.
Anonymous
a b } Memory
December 29, 2004 10:35:16 AM

Assign it letter in Disk Management (diskmgmt.msc)

--
Tumppi
Reply to group

"M.J." <mjmckendry@nospam.gofree.indigo.ie> kirjoitti viestissä
> Hi all,
>
> I have a 32MB Sony Memory Stick and a 256MB Sandisk Memory Stick Pro.
Both
> these cards work fine in my Sony Cybershot camera.
>
> However when I insert them into the Memory Card reader in my laptop the
> Sony works fine but the Sandisk while detected by the system does not get
> drive letter assigned.
>
> Any ideas what I can do to resolve this? Any help greatly appreciated.
>
> M.J.

Anonymous
a b } Memory
December 29, 2004 12:06:19 PM

That's my problem!
I can see the memory stick in Device Manager: IDE/ATA ATAPI Controllers
(shows up as a PCMCIA IDE/ATAPI Controller) but unlike the Sony card it does
not appear in Disk Management.
Thanks again,
M.J.

"Thomas Wendell" <tumppiw_NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Assign it letter in Disk Management (diskmgmt.msc)
>

> --
> Tumppi
> Reply to group
> Most learned on nntp://news.mircosoft.com
> Helsinki, Finland (remove _NOSPAM)
> (translations from FI/SE not always accurate)
>

> "M.J." <mjmckendry@nospam.gofree.indigo.ie> kirjoitti viestissä
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have a 32MB Sony Memory Stick and a 256MB Sandisk Memory Stick Pro.
> Both
>> these cards work fine in my Sony Cybershot camera.
>>
>> However when I insert them into the Memory Card reader in my laptop the
>> Sony works fine but the Sandisk while detected by the system does not get
>> drive letter assigned.
>>
>> Any ideas what I can do to resolve this? Any help greatly appreciated.
>>
>> M.J.

a b } Memory
December 29, 2004 12:53:54 PM

Just to be sure we're talking about the same thing:
Start -> Right Click "My Computer" -> Manage -> Disk Management

"M.J." <mckendry@nospam.gofree.indigo.ie> wrote in message
news:o gdk7WY7EHA.1396@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> That's my problem!
> I can see the memory stick in Device Manager: IDE/ATA ATAPI Controllers
> (shows up as a PCMCIA IDE/ATAPI Controller) but unlike the Sony card it
> does not appear in Disk Management.
> Thanks again,
> M.J.
>

> "Thomas Wendell" <tumppiw_NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Assign it letter in Disk Management (diskmgmt.msc)
>>

>> --
>> Tumppi
>> Reply to group
>> Most learned on nntp://news.mircosoft.com
>> Helsinki, Finland (remove _NOSPAM)
>> (translations from FI/SE not always accurate)
>>

>> "M.J." <mjmckendry@nospam.gofree.indigo.ie> kirjoitti viestissä
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I have a 32MB Sony Memory Stick and a 256MB Sandisk Memory Stick Pro.
>> Both
>>> these cards work fine in my Sony Cybershot camera.
>>>
>>> However when I insert them into the Memory Card reader in my laptop the
>>> Sony works fine but the Sandisk while detected by the system does not
>>> get
>>> drive letter assigned.
>>>
>>> Any ideas what I can do to resolve this? Any help greatly appreciated.
>>>
>>> M.J.

Anonymous
a b } Memory
December 30, 2004 1:23:45 AM

Drive letter not assigned in either...
M.J.

"Mike D" <mgdonnelly.not@att.net> wrote in message
> Just to be sure we're talking about the same thing:
> Start -> Right Click "My Computer" -> Manage -> Disk Management
>
> "M.J." <mckendry@nospam.gofree.indigo.ie> wrote in message
> news:o gdk7WY7EHA.1396@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> That's my problem!
>> I can see the memory stick in Device Manager: IDE/ATA ATAPI Controllers
>> (shows up as a PCMCIA IDE/ATAPI Controller) but unlike the Sony card it
>> does not appear in Disk Management.
>> Thanks again,
>> M.J.
>>

>> "Thomas Wendell" <tumppiw_NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Assign it letter in Disk Management (diskmgmt.msc)
>>>

>>> --
>>> Tumppi
>>> Reply to group
>>> =================================================
>>> Most learned on nntp://news.mircosoft.com
>>> Helsinki, Finland (remove _NOSPAM)
>>> (translations from FI/SE not always accurate)
>>> =================================================
>>>

>>> "M.J." <mjmckendry@nospam.gofree.indigo.ie> kirjoitti viestissä

>>> Both

Anonymous
a b } Memory
December 30, 2004 11:50:41 AM

You mean the drive shows up in Disk Management without a letter, or the
drive is not in Disk Management at all? Letters can be assigned in Disk
Management. If it's not there at all, I can't help. Try another computer
and see if it shows up.

"M.J." <mckendry@nospam.gofree.indigo.ie> wrote in message
news:o uoLSUf7EHA.3708@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Drive letter not assigned in either...
> M.J.
>
> "Mike D" <mgdonnelly.not@att.net> wrote in message
>> Just to be sure we're talking about the same thing:
>> Start -> Right Click "My Computer" -> Manage -> Disk Management
>>
>> "M.J." <mckendry@nospam.gofree.indigo.ie> wrote in message
>> news:o gdk7WY7EHA.1396@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>>> That's my problem!
>>> I can see the memory stick in Device Manager: IDE/ATA ATAPI Controllers
>>> (shows up as a PCMCIA IDE/ATAPI Controller) but unlike the Sony card it
>>> does not appear in Disk Management.
>>> Thanks again,
>>> M.J.
>>>

>>> "Thomas Wendell" <tumppiw_NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
a b } Memory
December 30, 2004 6:21:53 PM

How about checking to see if the memory card reader can read the Pro type
stick. It may not bale able to???

> You mean the drive shows up in Disk Management without a letter, or the
> drive is not in Disk Management at all? Letters can be assigned in Disk
> Management. If it's not there at all, I can't help. Try another computer
> and see if it shows up.
>
> "M.J." <mckendry@nospam.gofree.indigo.ie> wrote in message
> news:o uoLSUf7EHA.3708@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> Drive letter not assigned in either...
>> M.J.
>>
>> "Mike D" <mgdonnelly.not@att.net> wrote in message
>>> Just to be sure we're talking about the same thing:
>>> Start -> Right Click "My Computer" -> Manage -> Disk Management
>>>
>>> "M.J." <mckendry@nospam.gofree.indigo.ie> wrote in message
>>> news:o gdk7WY7EHA.1396@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...

Anonymous
a b } Memory
December 31, 2004 12:34:51 AM

No, unfortunately it's not there at all. Also I can't try it on another
computer as the card reader is built in.
Thanks,
M.J.

"Mike D" <mgdonnelly.not@att.net> wrote in message
> You mean the drive shows up in Disk Management without a letter, or the
> drive is not in Disk Management at all? Letters can be assigned in Disk
> Management. If it's not there at all, I can't help. Try another computer
> and see if it shows up.
>
> "M.J." <mckendry@nospam.gofree.indigo.ie> wrote in message
> news:o uoLSUf7EHA.3708@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> Drive letter not assigned in either...
>> M.J.
>>
>> "Mike D" <mgdonnelly.not@att.net> wrote in message
>>> Just to be sure we're talking about the same thing:
>>> Start -> Right Click "My Computer" -> Manage -> Disk Management
>>>
>>> "M.J." <mckendry@nospam.gofree.indigo.ie> wrote in message
>>> news:o gdk7WY7EHA.1396@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...

Anonymous
a b } Memory
December 31, 2004 12:35:49 AM

Yeah, that's the problem - the PRO card!
M.J.

!