GA-K8NS-Pro - 1st Athlon64 Build

HarrY

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi - I'd be grateful for some help with the build of my 1st Athlon64
(Socket 754) PC using a Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro motherboard. The CPU
will be an AMD Athlon64 (Newcastle) 3000+, the RAM will be Crucial
DDR400 PC3200 and teh Graphics card an HIS AIW 9800Pro.

I remember having to set a clock multiplier on my last build (GA-7N400
Pro2), but don't see where a multiplier can be set in the GA-K8NS-Pro.

If I leave the CPU Vcore at the default 1.550v and the CPU Overclock
setting at 200, will my CPU run at the correct speed or do I need to
set anything else? I'm assuming that the multiplier (if there is any)
would need to be set to 10 for a 3000+, 11 for a 3200+ and 12 for a
3400+, but don't see anywhere to set it..

If I want to overclock the CPU, do I just have to increase the CPU
Overclock setting in the BIOS, and what effect will that have on the
motherboard Bus speed and on my RAM or my Graphics card?

Sorry to have to ask such basic questions, but I've let myself get
completely out of touch with these things.

Any help appreciated.

Harry wrote:

> Hi - I'd be grateful for some help with the build of my 1st Athlon64
> (Socket 754) PC using a Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro motherboard. The CPU
> will be an AMD Athlon64 (Newcastle) 3000+, the RAM will be Crucial
> DDR400 PC3200 and teh Graphics card an HIS AIW 9800Pro.
>
> I remember having to set a clock multiplier on my last build (GA-7N400
> Pro2), but don't see where a multiplier can be set in the GA-K8NS-Pro.
>
> If I leave the CPU Vcore at the default 1.550v and the CPU Overclock
> setting at 200, will my CPU run at the correct speed or do I need to
> set anything else? I'm assuming that the multiplier (if there is any)
> would need to be set to 10 for a 3000+, 11 for a 3200+ and 12 for a
> 3400+, but don't see anywhere to set it..
>
> If I want to overclock the CPU, do I just have to increase the CPU
> Overclock setting in the BIOS, and what effect will that have on the
> motherboard Bus speed and on my RAM or my Graphics card?
>
> Sorry to have to ask such basic questions, but I've let myself get
> completely out of touch with these things.
>
> Any help appreciated.

There is a CPU/Voltage section in the bios. You should not have to
anything to get the stock settings as everything will be set to auto by
default.

Beowulf

Distinguished
May 29, 2004

Harry wrote:
> Hi - I'd be grateful for some help with the build of my 1st Athlon64
> (Socket 754) PC using a Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro motherboard. The CPU
> will be an AMD Athlon64 (Newcastle) 3000+, the RAM will be Crucial
> DDR400 PC3200 and teh Graphics card an HIS AIW 9800Pro.
>
> I remember having to set a clock multiplier on my last build (GA-7N400
> Pro2), but don't see where a multiplier can be set in the GA-K8NS-Pro.
>
> If I leave the CPU Vcore at the default 1.550v and the CPU Overclock
> setting at 200, will my CPU run at the correct speed or do I need to
> set anything else? I'm assuming that the multiplier (if there is any)
> would need to be set to 10 for a 3000+, 11 for a 3200+ and 12 for a
> 3400+, but don't see anywhere to set it..
>
> If I want to overclock the CPU, do I just have to increase the CPU
> Overclock setting in the BIOS, and what effect will that have on the
> motherboard Bus speed and on my RAM or my Graphics card?
>
> Sorry to have to ask such basic questions, but I've let myself get
> completely out of touch with these things.
>
> Any help appreciated.

google for numerous articles. basically you dont set cpu mult anymore
(unless you have an FX) since the AMD64 is a different beast from the
Athlons and Athlon XPs The FSB is used diffently. Due to "cool &
quiet" the cpu mult can be decreased only.

Use the chipset driver or mobo utility to set FSB higher. That will
boost mem as well so watch out. By using the util, if you need to
reboot you go back to defaults. Then you can play with the multipliers
(CPU, HT, etc) to tweak. on some mobo, REDUCING the CPU multiplier will
give better performance

http://www.ocfaq.com/reviews/AMD/athlon64-3000/1

http://www.cpudatabase.com/CPUdb/Showamd.cfm

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjI5