Serial mouse has disappeared [djb]

I have a Windows XP Pro edition, with SP2 et. al. I have a Mitsumi
Electronics mouse. I have an AMD K6 processor.

Problem: I had to shutdown the computer improperly because of a rare hang
up. Upon rebooting the mouse did not work. Additionally, the mouse did not
appear in the System Devices, and when I try to "Add Hardware" there is NO
option for any kind of mouse! Deleting my COM1 port has done no good nor has
rebooting the computer. The mouse is never found at reboot or through Add
Hardware. Any ideas? Something corrupted in the shutdown?

--
Grace & Peace,
Darris.

Try the BIOS of your computer. It's likely 'disabled', the COM port that is.

"djbrock" <djbrock@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a Windows XP Pro edition, with SP2 et. al. I have a Mitsumi
> Electronics mouse. I have an AMD K6 processor.
>
> Problem: I had to shutdown the computer improperly because of a rare hang
> up. Upon rebooting the mouse did not work. Additionally, the mouse did
> not
> appear in the System Devices, and when I try to "Add Hardware" there is NO
> option for any kind of mouse! Deleting my COM1 port has done no good nor
> has
> rebooting the computer. The mouse is never found at reboot or through Add
> Hardware. Any ideas? Something corrupted in the shutdown?
>
> --
> Grace & Peace,
> Darris.

Thanks, unfortunately it's not disabled. The System Devices shows that both
Com 1 and Com 2 are working. What is really puzzling me is why Windows
doesn't give me the option to install a mouse. I can't figure that one out.
Both of my other computers do.

"Grandpa" wrote:

> Try the BIOS of your computer. It's likely 'disabled', the COM port that is.
>
> "djbrock" <djbrock@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a Windows XP Pro edition, with SP2 et. al. I have a Mitsumi
> > Electronics mouse. I have an AMD K6 processor.
> >
> > Problem: I had to shutdown the computer improperly because of a rare hang
> > up. Upon rebooting the mouse did not work. Additionally, the mouse did
> > not
> > appear in the System Devices, and when I try to "Add Hardware" there is NO
> > option for any kind of mouse! Deleting my COM1 port has done no good nor
> > has
> > rebooting the computer. The mouse is never found at reboot or through Add
> > Hardware. Any ideas? Something corrupted in the shutdown?
> >
> > --
> > Grace & Peace,
> > Darris.

Apparently the problem is that the mouse had died. A new serial mouse fixed
the problem. Thanks.