GA-7N400 Pro2 not recognizing HDs

Anybody have an idea why a new GA-7N400 Pro2 will not recognized any hard
drive
I have tried 2 new hds, 4 erased hds and 1 that has Windows 200 pro sp4
loaded and nothing works!
All I get is a click, and a quick run down to: "Verifying DMI pool data
..............."

Tia

"HMGI" <res0uemb@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Anybody have an idea why a new GA-7N400 Pro2 will not recognized any hard
> drive
> I have tried 2 new hds, 4 erased hds and 1 that has Windows 200 pro sp4
> loaded and nothing works!
> All I get is a click, and a quick run down to: "Verifying DMI pool data
> .............."
>
> Tia

ideas:
Set the BIOS to 'Load Fail-Safe Defaults'
Move to the back-up BIOS chip in Dual BIOS
Drives not configured correctly.
Use the manufactures install floppy to check for fdisk and format.
Boot sequence wrong

JPS

i have this board, rev 1 with f5 (bios a little out-of-date) but works
ok

i never got it to finish booting with four sticks of 512, the manual
says the sticks in slots 3,4 have to be single sided (i never could
find them--- only the double sided 512) so i run with 1 gb

to get started, try a single stick of memory and see if it gets beyond
dmi memeory pool.

i suspect your disks are fine, the design of the board has a problem
with too much memory (the chip set choice i guess, lots of boards using
the same chip set have only three slots, i bet there is good reason for
that little detail)

JPS

I tried the "Load Fail Safe Defaults" - didn't work.
I went to back-up Bios chip and Dual Bios - didn't work.
The 2 drives that I need to use came from a swap out of MBs.
(Abit KD7 "junk" to GA-7N400 Pro w/4 new 512mb 3200pc sticks)
One drive has Windows 2000 pro sp4 on it and a LOT of other programs I need.
I really need to use that drive at least.
Tried setting the master / slave jumpers - didn't work
Both drives are jumped to cable select at the moment.
I believe if I use fdisk and format, I'll loose everything on the disk.
I tried a clean drive last night and tried to load Windows 2000 on that
one - didn't work.
Even swapped cables - of all things
I changed the boot sequence to - Floppy - HD0 - HD1 - didn't work
I'm completely baffled on this one.

The Cat

"Ranay" <res0t6bm@verizon.net> wrote in message
> JPS
>
> I tried the "Load Fail Safe Defaults" - didn't work.
> I went to back-up Bios chip and Dual Bios - didn't work.
> The 2 drives that I need to use came from a swap out of MBs.
> (Abit KD7 "junk" to GA-7N400 Pro w/4 new 512mb 3200pc sticks)
> One drive has Windows 2000 pro sp4 on it and a LOT of other programs I
> need.
> I really need to use that drive at least.
> Tried setting the master / slave jumpers - didn't work
> Both drives are jumped to cable select at the moment.
> I believe if I use fdisk and format, I'll loose everything on the disk.
> I tried a clean drive last night and tried to load Windows 2000 on that
> one - didn't work.
> Even swapped cables - of all things
> I changed the boot sequence to - Floppy - HD0 - HD1 - didn't work
> I'm completely baffled on this one.
>
> The Cat
>

> "jpsga" <jpsga@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "HMGI" <res0uemb@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> > Anybody have an idea why a new GA-7N400 Pro2 will not recognized any
> hard
>> > drive
>> > I have tried 2 new hds, 4 erased hds and 1 that has Windows 200 pro sp4
>> > loaded and nothing works!
>> > All I get is a click, and a quick run down to: "Verifying DMI pool data
>> > .............."
>> >
>> > Tia
>> >

>> ideas:
>> Set the BIOS to 'Load Fail-Safe Defaults'
>> Move to the back-up BIOS chip in Dual BIOS
>> Drives not configured correctly.
>> Use the manufactures install floppy to check for fdisk and format.
>> Boot sequence wrong
>>
>> JPS

Believe that there is a fdisk /mbr that repairs only the mbr.
Why do you use cable select on this board?
JPS

this still me, on a different system

as you have a nearly identical system to try things on, have you tried
the cables and hard drives hooked to the working system, that would
eliminate or isolate cable-drives not working.

depending on how brave you are, you could try the working system disk
on RANAY? system in the new one. That should isolate if it is a
motherboard fault. Gigabyte makes very good boards, but even they have
quality problems from time to time. with all the time spent, you may
be better off RMAing the board.

the final possibility is the power supply is not up to the task. The
Pro boards eat the watts pretty good. The extra load of two disks may
be making something marginal in one of the various voltages which the
old board could work ok with.

JPS:

I switched the jumpers to master/slave and it's not doing anything.

Sorry about the switched systems (Ranay) I have 6 systems (well 5 right now)

> "Ranay" <res0t6bm@verizon.net> wrote in message
> > JPS
> >
> > I tried the "Load Fail Safe Defaults" - didn't work.
> > I went to back-up Bios chip and Dual Bios - didn't work.
> > The 2 drives that I need to use came from a swap out of MBs.
> > (Abit KD7 "junk" to GA-7N400 Pro w/4 new 512mb 3200pc sticks)
> > One drive has Windows 2000 pro sp4 on it and a LOT of other programs I
> > need.
> > I really need to use that drive at least.
> > Tried setting the master / slave jumpers - didn't work
> > Both drives are jumped to cable select at the moment.
> > I believe if I use fdisk and format, I'll loose everything on the disk.
> > I tried a clean drive last night and tried to load Windows 2000 on that
> > one - didn't work.
> > Even swapped cables - of all things
> > I changed the boot sequence to - Floppy - HD0 - HD1 - didn't work
> > I'm completely baffled on this one.
> >
> > The Cat
> >

> > "jpsga" <jpsga@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >>
> >> "HMGI" <res0uemb@verizon.net> wrote in message
> > hard

> >> ideas:
> >> Set the BIOS to 'Load Fail-Safe Defaults'
> >> Move to the back-up BIOS chip in Dual BIOS
> >> Drives not configured correctly.
> >> Use the manufactures install floppy to check for fdisk and format.
> >> Boot sequence wrong
> >>
> >> JPS
> >>

> Believe that there is a fdisk /mbr that repairs only the mbr.
> Why do you use cable select on this board?
> JPS

"jpsga" <jpsga@comcast.net> wrote:

>Believe that there is a fdisk /mbr that repairs only the mbr.
>Why do you use cable select on this board?
>JPS

Why do you quote a whole message just to add two lines?????

--
A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting.
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.