Need help with wireless internet and home network

cpujim

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2003
What I have now is this. I have a wireless isp that has me set up with a Cisco 350 wireless Pci card that is connected to grid dish with a cable that has an tnc connector. The setup for the card is like this

1. ip address 10.1.69.xxx
2. subnet mask 255.255.255.0
3. gateway 10.1.69.1
4. dns 64.81.159.2
5. my ssid is dnt

I currently share my connection using a small proxy on my client pc that is connected a Netgear MR314 wireless router with a 4 port switch. This all works fine but there are some things I don’t like about it.

1. To get service (LOS) I have a two story house with a 35 foot antenna which makes me a sitting duck for a lighting strike. (This is the main reason)
2. I am not able to use the hardware firewall in my Netgear router
3. My client pc has to always be on.
4. I have some programs that no matter I do they will not go to the proxy.

So I was told form someone that I could buy a Linksys wap11 and set it up in client mode and connect it to my router to take the pc out of the loop.
I played around a bit with the wap11 but not sure where to put the info listed above or how to set it up. For instance there is no place to enter a DNS address.

This would be great if its works but I am in a little over my head. Some set up assistance would greatly appreciated.
P.S Let me know if you need more info.

Thanks Jim

I normaly assigh each computer a ststic IP address. (10.1.69.11, 10.1.69.12etc.. Also in networking assign each comp DNS numbers.(provided by ISP) And a default gateway 10.1.69.1. These are all found in network properties under TCP/IP for your network card.
Set the WAP11 up to be an access point. Make sure SSID is the same on all comps(cses sensitive). SAme channel etc.

I aint signing nothing!!!