Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9 OS HELP

Ok after 6 years I bit the bullet and went to Athlon. I used to
despise these things and now I have changed. I just build a new pc
specs.

Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9
64Bit 3500
3 x 200 Gig SATA Drives
3.5 gig ram

Now installing XP off a cd when the pc starts up it never says "Press
any key to boot from CD" it just automatically does it. All said and
done ths is great BUTT after I create partition and start to load XP
it does its usual "restart n 15 seconds" so it can continue its
install.

Now comes the fun part. With XP in the cdrom I automatically boots off
of it and wants to install a fresh XP and i cannot continue to
install. How do I get around this? Really pointless to have a new
Athlon :)

HELP !!!!

Thanx

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Erm, hit del key when booting and make sure that CD-ROM is not the first
boot device. Then set whichever HD you are using as the OS drive to boot
first. Then the install should continue. Windows install will boot from the
HD and then grab files from thr CD as needed.

<pwrmngr@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Ok after 6 years I bit the bullet and went to Athlon. I used to
> despise these things and now I have changed. I just build a new pc
> specs.
>
> Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9
> 64Bit 3500
> 3 x 200 Gig SATA Drives
> 3.5 gig ram
>
> Now installing XP off a cd when the pc starts up it never says "Press
> any key to boot from CD" it just automatically does it. All said and
> done ths is great BUTT after I create partition and start to load XP
> it does its usual "restart n 15 seconds" so it can continue its
> install.
>
> Now comes the fun part. With XP in the cdrom I automatically boots off
> of it and wants to install a fresh XP and i cannot continue to
> install. How do I get around this? Really pointless to have a new
> Athlon :)
>
> HELP !!!!
>
> Thanx

I've completely removd cdrom from the boot order but for some reason
it keeps looking for it and then freezes.

Like the good old days of "press any key to boot off cd.

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 04:55:21 -0500, "Dan" <dann@dann.com> wrote:

>Erm, hit del key when booting and make sure that CD-ROM is not the first
>boot device. Then set whichever HD you are using as the OS drive to boot
>first. Then the install should continue. Windows install will boot from the
>HD and then grab files from thr CD as needed.
>

><pwrmngr@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Ok after 6 years I bit the bullet and went to Athlon. I used to
>> despise these things and now I have changed. I just build a new pc
>> specs.
>>
>> Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9
>> 64Bit 3500
>> 3 x 200 Gig SATA Drives
>> 3.5 gig ram
>>
>> Now installing XP off a cd when the pc starts up it never says "Press
>> any key to boot from CD" it just automatically does it. All said and
>> done ths is great BUTT after I create partition and start to load XP
>> it does its usual "restart n 15 seconds" so it can continue its
>> install.
>>
>> Now comes the fun part. With XP in the cdrom I automatically boots off
>> of it and wants to install a fresh XP and i cannot continue to
>> install. How do I get around this? Really pointless to have a new
>> Athlon :)
>>
>> HELP !!!!
>>
>> Thanx

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

What happens if you leave the CD in the drive and select CD-ROM as the
second boot device?

> I've completely removd cdrom from the boot order but for some reason
> it keeps looking for it and then freezes.
>
> Like the good old days of "press any key to boot off cd.
>

> On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 04:55:21 -0500, "Dan" <dann@dann.com> wrote:
>
> >Erm, hit del key when booting and make sure that CD-ROM is not the first
> >boot device. Then set whichever HD you are using as the OS drive to boot
> >first. Then the install should continue. Windows install will boot from
the
> >HD and then grab files from thr CD as needed.
> >

> ><pwrmngr@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >> Ok after 6 years I bit the bullet and went to Athlon. I used to
> >> despise these things and now I have changed. I just build a new pc
> >> specs.
> >>
> >> Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9
> >> 64Bit 3500
> >> 3 x 200 Gig SATA Drives
> >> 3.5 gig ram
> >>
> >> Now installing XP off a cd when the pc starts up it never says "Press
> >> any key to boot from CD" it just automatically does it. All said and
> >> done ths is great BUTT after I create partition and start to load XP
> >> it does its usual "restart n 15 seconds" so it can continue its
> >> install.
> >>
> >> Now comes the fun part. With XP in the cdrom I automatically boots off
> >> of it and wants to install a fresh XP and i cannot continue to
> >> install. How do I get around this? Really pointless to have a new
> >> Athlon :)
> >>
> >> HELP !!!!
> >>
> >> Thanx

it goes past the hard drive and restarts loading windows again off the
cd.

:(

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 13:59:07 -0500, "Dan" <dann@dann.com> wrote:

>What happens if you leave the CD in the drive and select CD-ROM as the
>second boot device?
>

><pwrmngr@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> I've completely removd cdrom from the boot order but for some reason
>> it keeps looking for it and then freezes.
>>
>> Like the good old days of "press any key to boot off cd.
>>

>> On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 04:55:21 -0500, "Dan" <dann@dann.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Erm, hit del key when booting and make sure that CD-ROM is not the first
>> >boot device. Then set whichever HD you are using as the OS drive to boot
>> >first. Then the install should continue. Windows install will boot from
>the
>> >HD and then grab files from thr CD as needed.
>> >

>> ><pwrmngr@gmail.com> wrote in message

this is gonna be the death of me LOL

BTW Jasteel is me :)

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 13:59:07 -0500, "Dan" <dann@dann.com> wrote:

>What happens if you leave the CD in the drive and select CD-ROM as the
>second boot device?
>

><pwrmngr@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> I've completely removd cdrom from the boot order but for some reason
>> it keeps looking for it and then freezes.
>>
>> Like the good old days of "press any key to boot off cd.
>>

>> On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 04:55:21 -0500, "Dan" <dann@dann.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Erm, hit del key when booting and make sure that CD-ROM is not the first
>> >boot device. Then set whichever HD you are using as the OS drive to boot
>> >first. Then the install should continue. Windows install will boot from
>the
>> >HD and then grab files from thr CD as needed.
>> >

>> ><pwrmngr@gmail.com> wrote in message

<pwrmngr@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Ok after 6 years I bit the bullet and went to Athlon. I used to
> despise these things and now I have changed. I just build a new pc
> specs.
>
> Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9
> 64Bit 3500
> 3 x 200 Gig SATA Drives
> 3.5 gig ram
>
> Now installing XP off a cd when the pc starts up it never says "Press
> any key to boot from CD" it just automatically does it. All said and
> done ths is great BUTT after I create partition and start to load XP
> it does its usual "restart n 15 seconds" so it can continue its
> install.
>
> Now comes the fun part. With XP in the cdrom I automatically boots off
> of it and wants to install a fresh XP and i cannot continue to
> install. How do I get around this? Really pointless to have a new
> Athlon :)
>
> HELP !!!!

You have SATA HDs? - did u install the SATA drivers from floppy first?
The Intel system can access SATAs by default - the AMD box can't (needs
driver spoonfed) for whatever reason...

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0510-1, 11/03/2005
Tested on: 14/03/2005 10:44:41 AM