Diagnostic software to test computer????

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Hi, is there any third party Diagnostic software for PC to test what's
wrong with a computer????
What would be the best one to use???

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

http://www.tufftest.com/
http://www.simmtester.com/PAGE/products/doc/docinfo.asp
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
http://www.memtest86.com/

Collected these links a while ago, and have never found time to try any of
them, so I'll be watching other replies with interest!

--
####################
## PH, London

In article <#rURDNi7EHA.3756@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>,
Joe M <joematminemandotcom> wrote:
>Hi, is there any third party Diagnostic software for PC to test what's
>wrong with a computer????
>What would be the best one to use???

There are a couple packages that tried to test everything, but the one
I've used (qafe) is no longer made, and they aren't cheap.

There are tools to test specific parts; memory and disk.

Booking a Linux CD (knoppix is nice) shows lots more detail
during boot and I find it useful for some troubleshooting.

The pro's troubleshhot is by swapping parts. There isn't a big
market for diagnostic software.

--

a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

While there's loads of stuff out there, it really depends on whether you
want to fix a specific problem or just have a toolkit to troubleshoot as
yet, unencountered issues.
I can recommend a great book though - Bigelow's Troubleshooting,
Maintaining & Repairing Pc's - now in it's 5th edition -ISBN
0-07-213272-8. It also has a CD with lots of trial s/w of varying
types.Only problem is it's cost of $US60 - you may pick it up for less
from a bookclub or discounter.

"The meek shall inherit the earth, but not the mineral rights"

John Paul Getty 1892 - 1976

Joe M wrote:
> Hi, is there any third party Diagnostic software for PC to test what's
> wrong with a computer????
> What would be the best one to use???

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Joe M,

This isn't software but if you have a free PCI slot it may be worth a try
and it's not to expensive:
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=13-998-101&depa=0

I've been tempted to purchase it a couple times and the next time Newegg
puts it on special I may purchase it.

Wayne

"brush-head" <"harry"@removeallthis.broom./*217?andthis\\.eclipse.co.uk>
wrote in message news:4qKdneBqVdSRY07cRVnyhQ@eclipse.net.uk...
> While there's loads of stuff out there, it really depends on whether you
> want to fix a specific problem or just have a toolkit to troubleshoot as
> yet, unencountered issues.
> I can recommend a great book though - Bigelow's Troubleshooting,
> Maintaining & Repairing Pc's - now in it's 5th edition -ISBN
> 0-07-213272-8. It also has a CD with lots of trial s/w of varying
> types.Only problem is it's cost of $US60 - you may pick it up for less
> from a bookclub or discounter.
>
> "The meek shall inherit the earth, but not the mineral rights"
>
> John Paul Getty 1892 - 1976
>
> Joe M wrote:
>> Hi, is there any third party Diagnostic software for PC to test what's
>> wrong with a computer????
>> What would be the best one to use???

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Great idea Wayne.

"WayneM" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> Joe M,
>
> This isn't software but if you have a free PCI slot it may be worth a try
> and it's not to expensive:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=13-998-101&depa=0

> I've been tempted to purchase it a couple times and the next time Newegg
> puts it on special I may purchase it.
>
> Wayne
>

> "brush-head" <"harry"@removeallthis.broom./*217?andthis\\.eclipse.co.uk>
> wrote in message news:4qKdneBqVdSRY07cRVnyhQ@eclipse.net.uk...
> > While there's loads of stuff out there, it really depends on whether you
> > want to fix a specific problem or just have a toolkit to troubleshoot as
> > yet, unencountered issues.
> > I can recommend a great book though - Bigelow's Troubleshooting,
> > Maintaining & Repairing Pc's - now in it's 5th edition -ISBN
> > 0-07-213272-8. It also has a CD with lots of trial s/w of varying
> > types.Only problem is it's cost of $US60 - you may pick it up for less
> > from a bookclub or discounter.
> >
> > "The meek shall inherit the earth, but not the mineral rights"
> >
> > John Paul Getty 1892 - 1976
> >
> > Joe M wrote:
> >> Hi, is there any third party Diagnostic software for PC to test what's
> >> wrong with a computer????
> >> What would be the best one to use???

assuming the pc is working and has internet access - try www.pcpitstop.com
for free comprehensive diagnostics which tests quite a bit - read all the
reports, not just the summary, and use the links for additional explanations
and solutions.

This is a super (free) service - I've used it for years (and it's got even
better/more comprehensive this last year)

Hope this helps! Len

"Joe M" <joematminemandotcom> wrote in message
> Hi, is there any third party Diagnostic software for PC to test what's
> wrong with a computer????
> What would be the best one to use???

TRENDING THREADS