Hi. I started having trouble with my AOpen cd writer - it stopped showing up
as a drive in My Computer, and none of my cd's are recognized, although they
seem to be doing something when I put them in. I thought it was the writer
itself, so I bought a new one - external - but my computer doesn't seem to
recognize that either. However, if I do a list of system info, both these
drives show up on it - I haven't got the faintest idea what to do next -
anybody out there have any ideas?
thanks,
Peni

External one should list out. What type of external CD writer (USB or
Firewire?)

"Peni" <Peni@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi. I started having trouble with my AOpen cd writer - it stopped showing
> up
> as a drive in My Computer, and none of my cd's are recognized, although
> they
> seem to be doing something when I put them in. I thought it was the writer
> itself, so I bought a new one - external - but my computer doesn't seem to
> recognize that either. However, if I do a list of system info, both these
> drives show up on it - I haven't got the faintest idea what to do next -
> anybody out there have any ideas?
> thanks,
> Peni

USB. I just put in a Hi speed USB 2.0 PCI card to deal with it - didn't seem
to have any problems installing that.

"Yves Leclerc" wrote:

> External one should list out. What type of external CD writer (USB or
> Firewire?)
>
> "Peni" <Peni@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi. I started having trouble with my AOpen cd writer - it stopped showing
> > up
> > as a drive in My Computer, and none of my cd's are recognized, although
> > they
> > seem to be doing something when I put them in. I thought it was the writer
> > itself, so I bought a new one - external - but my computer doesn't seem to
> > recognize that either. However, if I do a list of system info, both these
> > drives show up on it - I haven't got the faintest idea what to do next -
> > anybody out there have any ideas?
> > thanks,
> > Peni

Did the system detect the USB CD-RW unit???

> USB. I just put in a Hi speed USB 2.0 PCI card to deal with it - didn't
> seem
> to have any problems installing that.
>
> "Yves Leclerc" wrote:
>
>> External one should list out. What type of external CD writer (USB or
>> Firewire?)
>>
>> "Peni" <Peni@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi. I started having trouble with my AOpen cd writer - it stopped
>> > showing
>> > up
>> > as a drive in My Computer, and none of my cd's are recognized,
>> > although
>> > they
>> > seem to be doing something when I put them in. I thought it was the
>> > writer
>> > itself, so I bought a new one - external - but my computer doesn't seem
>> > recognize that either. However, if I do a list of system info, both
>> > these
>> > drives show up on it - I haven't got the faintest idea what to do
>> > next -
>> > anybody out there have any ideas?
>> > thanks,
>> > Peni

Only that the new hardware wasn't installed correctly and may not work. I
reinstalled it a couple of times - no different. In the device manager, it
has one of those yellow exclamation marks beside it.

"Yves Leclerc" wrote:

> Did the system detect the USB CD-RW unit???
>
> "Peni" <Peni@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > USB. I just put in a Hi speed USB 2.0 PCI card to deal with it - didn't
> > seem
> > to have any problems installing that.
> >
> > "Yves Leclerc" wrote:
> >
> >> External one should list out. What type of external CD writer (USB or
> >> Firewire?)
> >>
> >> "Peni" <Peni@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

hi Peni,
Few things to consider before assuming there is a problem with your old or
new CD writer. Firstly look at your bios settings, to make sure your system
detects the hardware in question upon bootup. In your bios "usb" should be
enabled.If this is okay,time to check if all the wires (molex) connectors as
well as the "IDE" cables are firmly attached and that pin1 is in the right
place. sometimes a loose cable can cause this problem. Next go to your
device manager by right clicking "my computer" , then selecting
"properties", then click the "hardware" tab, and finally click "Device
Manager". In the device managerclick the tab that say's DVD/CD Rom drives.
If you see your CD writer,right click this entry and choose properties to
verify if it is working and enabled. You can also update the driver for this
device.If all is okay so far,then return to "system properties" then device
manager to view and verify the USB in the universal serial bus controller
tab.Its quiet probable that you need to load a "usb" driver for your
external CD writer.If all my suggestion do not produce results, please have
a ceritified Technician check your system. I hope my 2cents worth be of use
to you.

Best of Luck
Happy Holidays
Surinder
"Peni" <Peni@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi. I started having trouble with my AOpen cd writer - it stopped showing
> up
> as a drive in My Computer, and none of my cd's are recognized, although
> they
> seem to be doing something when I put them in. I thought it was the writer
> itself, so I bought a new one - external - but my computer doesn't seem to
> recognize that either. However, if I do a list of system info, both these
> drives show up on it - I haven't got the faintest idea what to do next -
> anybody out there have any ideas?
> thanks,
> Peni

Hi,

My son and I hooked up an Ipod type device to download music to it. After I
got home, I noticed the computer would no longer read my regualar CD ROM
drive. I tried to find it in Systems but was unsucessful also. I also tried
System restore with the same negative results. Any help ???