GA-K8NS Ultra-939 chipset fan replacement.

I want to replace the chipset fan on my GA-K8NS Ultra-939 for
something quieter. I know there's not much clearance between the
heatsing and AGP card. Has anyone found a replacement heatsink and
fan or even a silent fan that would be suitable?
7 answers Last reply
More about k8ns ultra chipset replacement

    In message <1111239174.47ce61afaea273dc706ecc7637993a71@teranews>,
    mikep187 <someone@somewhere.com> writes
    >I want to replace the chipset fan on my GA-K8NS Ultra-939 for
    >something quieter. I know there's not much clearance between the
    >heatsing and AGP card. Has anyone found a replacement heatsink and
    >fan or even a silent fan that would be suitable?

    On my 7VAXP Ultra I simply removed the chipset fan, with no problems.
    --
    Mick

    I got a big blue Zalman passive heatsink for it but haven't put it on yet. I
    put the mb in stock in case I'd have to send it back. So I'll have to take
    it all out to put on the heatsink. Can't hear the little fan on mine -- but
    then, I have the case lined with PaxMate.

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at
    uce@ftc.gov
    Thanks, robots.

    mikep187 wrote:
    > I want to replace the chipset fan on my GA-K8NS Ultra-939 for
    > something quieter. I know there's not much clearance between the
    > heatsing and AGP card. Has anyone found a replacement heatsink and
    > fan or even a silent fan that would be suitable?
    you can hear the chipset fan?? good ears. With the hum from the CPU
    fan, 2 fans from 500W power supply, and 3 case fans (80 cm, ball
    bearing, 2 x 24 CFM 1 x 40 CFM), and the old AMD K6-2 cpu fan and
    heatsink I pu on my G4 Ti4800, I can't hear the dinky little chipset fan!

    GA-k8ns-939
    AMD64 3000+
    512MB Mushkin
    G4 Ti4800
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    >> I know there's not much clearance between the
    >> heatsing and AGP card.

    I determined that the big blue Zalman would just fit, or I could nibble a
    corner off the fins.

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at
    uce@ftc.gov
    Thanks, robots.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 13:05:14 -0800, "Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there>
    wrote:

    >>> I know there's not much clearance between the
    >>> heatsing and AGP card.
    >
    >I determined that the big blue Zalman would just fit, or I could nibble a
    >corner off the fins.
    Thats what I was thinking of ordering also, even if trimming was
    needed. I have GA-K8NS Ultra-939 with a Athalon64 3500+ overclocked
    to 2400mhz via overclocked 218 mhz fsb. Will I have heat issues with
    the northbridge, or if needed maybe I could mount a slow running 40mm
    fan over it.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    endpcnoise says:

    We have not had any issues using them in the past, but just as the product
    support page says (
    http://www.zalmanusa.com/usa/product/view.asp?idx=71&code=014 ) the
    Northbridge is only compatible when used on a Northbridge located between
    the CPU and AGP (or PCIe) slot, and make certain to use a good cpu cooler
    like a 7700 to increase airflow around the Northbridge chipset.
    Hope this helps

    So, hmmm...

    But I guess it just needs ok airflow, from a nearby fan, or general flow in
    the case.

    I thought I'd see how hot it gets to the touch.

    But now I'm off on a trip and won't be back to newsgroups until mid-April.
    Sayonara!
    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at
    uce@ftc.gov
    Thanks, robots.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 11:59:05 -0800, "Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there>
    wrote:

    >endpcnoise says:
    >
    >We have not had any issues using them in the past, but just as the product
    >support page says (
    >http://www.zalmanusa.com/usa/product/view.asp?idx=71&code=014 ) the
    >Northbridge is only compatible when used on a Northbridge located between
    >the CPU and AGP (or PCIe) slot, and make certain to use a good cpu cooler
    >like a 7700 to increase airflow around the Northbridge chipset.
    >Hope this helps
    >
    >So, hmmm...
    >
    >But I guess it just needs ok airflow, from a nearby fan, or general flow in
    >the case.
    >
    >I thought I'd see how hot it gets to the touch.
    >
    >But now I'm off on a trip and won't be back to newsgroups until mid-April.
    >Sayonara!

    Update, I ordered a 50mm cpu fan and am running it at 5 volts, I also
    put some video ram heatsinks on the open area of the heatsink. The
    fan fit with little effort and easily clears the agp card. Iwas able
    to mount it with some screws I had laying around. So far no heat
    issues even when playing Half Life 2 with the overclocked cpu and
    Video card (GEforce 6600GT), or running the cpu at full load
    (Distributed.net). Made a big difference in noise levels also. I
    am planning on putting 1 or 2 more small heatsinks to fill the open
    area on there for hopfully even better cooling.

Gigabyte Chipsets Fan Motherboards