GA-K8NS Ultra-939 chipset fan replacement.

I want to replace the chipset fan on my GA-K8NS Ultra-939 for
something quieter. I know there's not much clearance between the
heatsing and AGP card. Has anyone found a replacement heatsink and
fan or even a silent fan that would be suitable?

mick

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2002

In message <1111239174.47ce61afaea273dc706ecc7637993a71@teranews>,
mikep187 <someone@somewhere.com> writes
>I want to replace the chipset fan on my GA-K8NS Ultra-939 for
>something quieter. I know there's not much clearance between the
>heatsing and AGP card. Has anyone found a replacement heatsink and
>fan or even a silent fan that would be suitable?

On my 7VAXP Ultra I simply removed the chipset fan, with no problems.
--
Mick

I got a big blue Zalman passive heatsink for it but haven't put it on yet. I
put the mb in stock in case I'd have to send it back. So I'll have to take
it all out to put on the heatsink. Can't hear the little fan on mine -- but
then, I have the case lined with PaxMate.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

Beowulf

Distinguished
May 29, 2004

mikep187 wrote:
> I want to replace the chipset fan on my GA-K8NS Ultra-939 for
> something quieter. I know there's not much clearance between the
> heatsing and AGP card. Has anyone found a replacement heatsink and
> fan or even a silent fan that would be suitable?
you can hear the chipset fan?? good ears. With the hum from the CPU
fan, 2 fans from 500W power supply, and 3 case fans (80 cm, ball
bearing, 2 x 24 CFM 1 x 40 CFM), and the old AMD K6-2 cpu fan and
heatsink I pu on my G4 Ti4800, I can't hear the dinky little chipset fan!

GA-k8ns-939
AMD64 3000+
512MB Mushkin
G4 Ti4800

>> I know there's not much clearance between the
>> heatsing and AGP card.

I determined that the big blue Zalman would just fit, or I could nibble a
corner off the fins.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 13:05:14 -0800, "Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there>
wrote:

>>> I know there's not much clearance between the
>>> heatsing and AGP card.
>
>I determined that the big blue Zalman would just fit, or I could nibble a
>corner off the fins.
Thats what I was thinking of ordering also, even if trimming was
needed. I have GA-K8NS Ultra-939 with a Athalon64 3500+ overclocked
to 2400mhz via overclocked 218 mhz fsb. Will I have heat issues with
the northbridge, or if needed maybe I could mount a slow running 40mm
fan over it.

endpcnoise says:

We have not had any issues using them in the past, but just as the product
support page says (
http://www.zalmanusa.com/usa/product/view.asp?idx=71&code=014 ) the
Northbridge is only compatible when used on a Northbridge located between
the CPU and AGP (or PCIe) slot, and make certain to use a good cpu cooler
like a 7700 to increase airflow around the Northbridge chipset.
Hope this helps

So, hmmm...

But I guess it just needs ok airflow, from a nearby fan, or general flow in
the case.

I thought I'd see how hot it gets to the touch.

But now I'm off on a trip and won't be back to newsgroups until mid-April.
Sayonara!
--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 11:59:05 -0800, "Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there>
wrote:

>endpcnoise says:
>
>We have not had any issues using them in the past, but just as the product
>support page says (
>http://www.zalmanusa.com/usa/product/view.asp?idx=71&code=014 ) the
>Northbridge is only compatible when used on a Northbridge located between
>the CPU and AGP (or PCIe) slot, and make certain to use a good cpu cooler
>like a 7700 to increase airflow around the Northbridge chipset.
>Hope this helps
>
>So, hmmm...
>
>But I guess it just needs ok airflow, from a nearby fan, or general flow in
>the case.
>
>I thought I'd see how hot it gets to the touch.
>
>But now I'm off on a trip and won't be back to newsgroups until mid-April.
>Sayonara!

Update, I ordered a 50mm cpu fan and am running it at 5 volts, I also
put some video ram heatsinks on the open area of the heatsink. The
fan fit with little effort and easily clears the agp card. Iwas able
to mount it with some screws I had laying around. So far no heat
issues even when playing Half Life 2 with the overclocked cpu and
Video card (GEforce 6600GT), or running the cpu at full load
(Distributed.net). Made a big difference in noise levels also. I
am planning on putting 1 or 2 more small heatsinks to fill the open
area on there for hopfully even better cooling.