Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

I'm interested in getting a 939 socket m/b and an Athlon64 3000+. I've
always been an Asus m/b person, but thought I would at least test the waters
on views of the Asus vs. other m/b's. Any views on 'best' of these three
manufactures for socket 939?

Thanks.

ColBlip.
E-mail: colonel.blip@nospampleasebigfoot.com

ColBlip wrote:
> I'm interested in getting a 939 socket m/b and an Athlon64 3000+. I've
> always been an Asus m/b person, but thought I would at least test the
> waters on views of the Asus vs. other m/b's. Any views on 'best' of these
> three manufactures for socket 939?

Best in what regard ? Abit is often a little better than Asus for
overclocking. In terms of stability and quality I find all three brands to
be about equal. A better question might be to ask yourself, "Which chipset
do I want ?" The nForce4 supports PCI-Express video cards and SLI. The VIA
K8T800 Pro supports AGP video. The nForce4 also supports NCQ, the VIA
chipsets do not.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

Hey colBlip, for a single pci-e video card board I'd go with
the DFI Lanparty UT NF4 Ultra-D or the MSI K8N Neo 4 Plat. N4
boards.....

of the 3 you listed I'd go with the Asus board..
you want to make sure you get at least an ultra or better.....

good luck
joe

"ColBlip" <colonel.blip@nospampleasebigfoot.com> wrote in message news:423ee541$1_1@127.0.0.1...
> I'm interested in getting a 939 socket m/b and an Athlon64 3000+. I've
> always been an Asus m/b person, but thought I would at least test the waters
> on views of the Asus vs. other m/b's. Any views on 'best' of these three
> manufactures for socket 939?
>
> Thanks.
>
> ColBlip.
> E-mail: colonel.blip@nospampleasebigfoot.com

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

> I'm interested in getting a 939 socket m/b and an Athlon64 3000+. I've
> always been an Asus m/b person, but thought I would at least test the
waters
> on views of the Asus vs. other m/b's. Any views on 'best' of these three
> manufactures for socket 939?

I'm in a similar situation and I've been tracking the ASUS and Gigabyte
newsgroups since around Christmas, since the nForce4 chipset became widely
available. The ASUS board I've been interested in is the A8N-SLI. The
Gigabyte board is the GA-K8NF-9. The Gigabyte board is considerably cheaper
but also has less functionality than the ASUS board being based on the
nForce4-4X chipset compared to the nForce4-SLI chipset. However, for me, the
Gigabyte board has exactly the functionality I need, specifically run AMD64
and a single PCI-Express video card. ASUS don't do a nForce4-4X board as far
as I'm aware.

I'm been particularly interested in the number of quirks and problems
reported by people. Admittedly, you only get problems reports on the
newsgroups but the level and type is a good indication of the stability of
the board.

Whilst people may argue otherwise, the ASUS A8N-SLI has had a far number of
issues and a series of very rapid BIOS releases. This makes me a bit uneasy
but at least ASUS are trying to resolve the issues. On the other hand, the
GA-K8NF-9 has far fewer issues reported. It could be that it's not as
popular but I can't say that for sure.

I've recently had realy problems with a Gigabyte dual Athlon MP motherboard
which was eventually thrown away but I don't think this is indicative of
poor Gigabyte quality. More likely a bug/problem with the AMD chipset. I've
built several systems around Gigabyte boards without a hiccup.

So I'm going for the Gigabyte...

Cheers, Rob.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

"Leading" edge technology is often "bleeding" edge technology.
Personally, I would avoid leading edge unless your bored...

Forrest

Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
http://home.comcast.net/~mobo.help/

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 09:12:47 -0600, "ColBlip"
<colonel.blip@nospampleasebigfoot.com> wrote:

>I'm interested in getting a 939 socket m/b and an Athlon64 3000+.
< snip >

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

> "Leading" edge technology is often "bleeding" edge technology.
> Personally, I would avoid leading edge unless your bored...

I very much agree which is why it's nearly 3 months since I started looking
and I'm still watching. I often ask the vendor what revision of board they
sell. Generally avoid v1.0 anything unless is older than six months.

Rob.

Rob Nicholson wrote:
>> "Leading" edge technology is often "bleeding" edge technology.
>> Personally, I would avoid leading edge unless your bored...
>
> I very much agree which is why it's nearly 3 months since I started
> looking and I'm still watching. I often ask the vendor what revision
> of board they sell. Generally avoid v1.0 anything unless is older
> than six months.

Good point about waiting for v1.x or v2.x boards. Regardless of the maker,
most all new boards have small quirks.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

Yea, the same can be said about first generation cpu's and northbridge
chips. They all have quirks. The bios writers have to deal with
their quirks.

Forrest

Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
http://home.comcast.net/~mobo.help/