Hi, just bought two sticks of 512mb ddr ram from a friend(worked fine in his
system).
These two stick are identical in make type and size.
Currently i am running my GA-7N400 pro2 with one stick of 512 DDR. So I come
to upgrade and add these extra 2 sticks and I can boot up, just get a
message saying "Windows protection error, while initializing device IFSMGR:
you need to restart your system".
So at first I though I had these three sticks in the wrong ddr slots?
Had my orignal 512 stick in DDR1
Then added a second to DDR3
Then a third to DDR2
Still got the same response.

SO incase of any incompatability probs I removed my old 512 stick and then
tried a new stick in DDR1 and a second new stick in DDR3. - no not working,
still got the same error message.

After trying various different combinations I have found that my system wont
boot up with more that 512mb installed (new or old ram). Anything over and I
get the error message.
Why am I getting this result when the manual says that this board will take
upto a max of 3GB??? - I cant seem to upgrade from 512MB.

Just get the same result in dual channel as well as single.

Any help or suggetions would be very welcome.
Thanks.

"neil smith" <nsmith79@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Hi, just bought two sticks of 512mb ddr ram from a friend(worked fine in
> his
> system).
> These two stick are identical in make type and size.
> Currently i am running my GA-7N400 pro2 with one stick of 512 DDR. So I
> come
> to upgrade and add these extra 2 sticks and I can boot up, just get a
> message saying "Windows protection error, while initializing device
> IFSMGR:
> you need to restart your system".
> So at first I though I had these three sticks in the wrong ddr slots?
> Had my orignal 512 stick in DDR1
> Then added a second to DDR3
> Then a third to DDR2
> Still got the same response.
>
> SO incase of any incompatability probs I removed my old 512 stick and then
> tried a new stick in DDR1 and a second new stick in DDR3. - no not
> working,
> still got the same error message.
>
> After trying various different combinations I have found that my system
> wont
> boot up with more that 512mb installed (new or old ram). Anything over and
> get the error message.
> Why am I getting this result when the manual says that this board will
> take
> upto a max of 3GB??? - I cant seem to upgrade from 512MB.
>
> Just get the same result in dual channel as well as single.
>

> Any help or suggetions would be very welcome.
> Thanks.

I've got the same board (Rev.1) with 2x 512Mb sticks installed in dual
channel mode ... so it does support it. Have you tried your original stick
in all of the slots? ... just wondering if there's a fault/dirty contact on
one or more of the slots.

Early bios release were suspect - which version are you using?
"Mal" <mincer2000@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "neil smith" <nsmith79@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>> Hi, just bought two sticks of 512mb ddr ram from a friend(worked fine in
>> his
>> system).
>> These two stick are identical in make type and size.
>> Currently i am running my GA-7N400 pro2 with one stick of 512 DDR. So I
>> come
>> to upgrade and add these extra 2 sticks and I can boot up, just get a
>> message saying "Windows protection error, while initializing device
>> IFSMGR:
>> you need to restart your system".
>> So at first I though I had these three sticks in the wrong ddr slots?
>> Had my orignal 512 stick in DDR1
>> Then added a second to DDR3
>> Then a third to DDR2
>> Still got the same response.
>>
>> SO incase of any incompatability probs I removed my old 512 stick and
>> then
>> tried a new stick in DDR1 and a second new stick in DDR3. - no not
>> working,
>> still got the same error message.
>>
>> After trying various different combinations I have found that my system
>> wont
>> boot up with more that 512mb installed (new or old ram). Anything over
>> and I
>> get the error message.
>> Why am I getting this result when the manual says that this board will
>> take
>> upto a max of 3GB??? - I cant seem to upgrade from 512MB.
>>
>> Just get the same result in dual channel as well as single.
>>

>> Any help or suggetions would be very welcome.
>> Thanks.
>>

> I've got the same board (Rev.1) with 2x 512Mb sticks installed in dual
> channel mode ... so it does support it. Have you tried your original stick
> in all of the slots? ... just wondering if there's a fault/dirty contact
> on one or more of the slots.

Hi, my BIOS is "AWARD BIOS v.6.00PG". Would the gigabyte website contain
updated BIOS downloads? and is it easy to use the QFLASH??
Thanks, Neil.
"Peter Seymour" <seymour@optushome.com.au> wrote in message
> Early bios release were suspect - which version are you using?
> "Mal" <mincer2000@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "neil smith" <nsmith79@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> >> Hi, just bought two sticks of 512mb ddr ram from a friend(worked fine
in
> >> his
> >> system).
> >> These two stick are identical in make type and size.
> >> Currently i am running my GA-7N400 pro2 with one stick of 512 DDR. So I
> >> come
> >> to upgrade and add these extra 2 sticks and I can boot up, just get a
> >> message saying "Windows protection error, while initializing device
> >> IFSMGR:
> >> you need to restart your system".
> >> So at first I though I had these three sticks in the wrong ddr slots?
> >> Had my orignal 512 stick in DDR1
> >> Then added a second to DDR3
> >> Then a third to DDR2
> >> Still got the same response.
> >>
> >> SO incase of any incompatability probs I removed my old 512 stick and
> >> then
> >> tried a new stick in DDR1 and a second new stick in DDR3. - no not
> >> working,
> >> still got the same error message.
> >>
> >> After trying various different combinations I have found that my system
> >> wont
> >> boot up with more that 512mb installed (new or old ram). Anything over
> >> and I
> >> get the error message.
> >> Why am I getting this result when the manual says that this board will
> >> take
> >> upto a max of 3GB??? - I cant seem to upgrade from 512MB.
> >>
> >> Just get the same result in dual channel as well as single.
> >>

> >> Any help or suggetions would be very welcome.
> >> Thanks.
> >>

> > I've got the same board (Rev.1) with 2x 512Mb sticks installed in dual
> > channel mode ... so it does support it. Have you tried your original
stick
> > in all of the slots? ... just wondering if there's a fault/dirty contact
> > on one or more of the slots.

Solved the problem.
I have just upgraded to Windows XP, tried installing the dimms again and no
probs! must have had a fault with my win98.

> Solved the problem.
> I have just upgraded to Windows XP, tried installing the dimms again and
> no probs! must have had a fault with my win98.

see, I was right from the very beginning...

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0512-2, 26/03/2005
Tested on: 28/03/2005 9:50:48 AM