RAM Upgrade - XP won't boot

I have purchased 2 new identical 256mb PC133 SDRAM strips (AZENRAM) to
replace my single 256 mb strip. The reason to purchase 2 new ones is
due to the fact that I have tried 4 prior strips from different
manufacturers and encountered boot problems. I attributed this to
incompatability problems with my existing RAM strip so I bought 2
identical strips as they were on sale cheaper than buying 1 512mb. Now
when I install the 2 strips I get the same problem. Windows XP Home
will not boot normal. The mem test on boot-up shows 512mb. I can boot
to safe mode and Windows reports 512mb in the system properties, but
it won't boot in normal mode. I tried various slot combinations and
each strip works on it's own. I thought the problem may be a power
supply issue and I disconnected my CD and DVD burners and USB hubs but
it didn't make a difference.

System Specs:
MSI K7T Turbo2 board with up to date BIOS
AMD 1600+
Radeon 7000
Sounblaster Live
ASUS TV FM Card

Any ideas PLEASE!

You say your BIOS is up to date but have you checked all the
settings, such as memory interleaving?

"kevin" <kevinjillmady@hotmail.com> wrote in message
|I have purchased 2 new identical 256mb PC133 SDRAM strips
(AZENRAM) to
| replace my single 256 mb strip. The reason to purchase 2
new ones is
| due to the fact that I have tried 4 prior strips from
different
| manufacturers and encountered boot problems. I attributed
this to
| incompatability problems with my existing RAM strip so I
bought 2
| identical strips as they were on sale cheaper than buying
1 512mb. Now
| when I install the 2 strips I get the same problem.
Windows XP Home
| will not boot normal. The mem test on boot-up shows 512mb.
I can boot
| to safe mode and Windows reports 512mb in the system
properties, but
| it won't boot in normal mode. I tried various slot
combinations and
| each strip works on it's own. I thought the problem may be
a power
| supply issue and I disconnected my CD and DVD burners and
USB hubs but
| it didn't make a difference.
|
| System Specs:
| MSI K7T Turbo2 board with up to date BIOS
| AMD 1600+
| Radeon 7000
| Sounblaster Live
| ASUS TV FM Card
|
| Any ideas PLEASE!

What brand memory was in the computer??? Try that brand, or try another brand.

kevin wrote:
> I have purchased 2 new identical 256mb PC133 SDRAM strips (AZENRAM) to
> replace my single 256 mb strip. The reason to purchase 2 new ones is
> due to the fact that I have tried 4 prior strips from different
> manufacturers and encountered boot problems. I attributed this to
> incompatability problems with my existing RAM strip so I bought 2
> identical strips as they were on sale cheaper than buying 1 512mb. Now
> when I install the 2 strips I get the same problem. Windows XP Home
> will not boot normal. The mem test on boot-up shows 512mb. I can boot
> to safe mode and Windows reports 512mb in the system properties, but
> it won't boot in normal mode. I tried various slot combinations and
> each strip works on it's own. I thought the problem may be a power
> supply issue and I disconnected my CD and DVD burners and USB hubs but
> it didn't make a difference.
>
> System Specs:
> MSI K7T Turbo2 board with up to date BIOS
> AMD 1600+
> Radeon 7000
> Sounblaster Live
> ASUS TV FM Card
>
> Any ideas PLEASE!

It is absolutely essential that any new RAM module(s) be fully
compatible with both the motherboard and/or any other RAM module(s)
already in the system. Additionally, there are sometimes jumper
switches on older motherboards that need to be reset for new RAM
configurations. Consult your motherboard's manual or the
manufacturer's web site for specific instructions and compatibility
requirements.

If you cannot lay your hands upon the computer's manual and the
manufacturer doesn't provide a support web site, you can use these
utilities to help determine the correct type of RAM needed:

SiSoft's Sandra
http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/index.php?dir=&location=sware_dl&lang=en

Belarc Advisor

Unlimited Possibilities' AIDA32
http://forum.aumha.org/overflow/aida32.zip

Lavalys' Everest Home
http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en

Also, Crucial Memory's web site (www.crucial.com) has a database
to help to find the right RAM for your specific make and model
computer and/or motherboard.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Thanks to those that have responded;

The old brand was OEM with NEC chips so I am unsure of how to match it.
I had tried Kingston, GBMicro and eXtreme thus the reason I have
removed it completely and am working with 2 identical strips that are
suitable for my system, the Azenram strips. There are no jumpers to set
and as far as the BIOS, what settings should I change? What should the
interleaving be set at? In the past on other machines I have just
entered the BIOS, saved on exit, and everything was set automatically.
I find it very strange that the mem check on boot recognizes it and
that XP sees it in safe mode. To me that leads me to believe it is a
software (XP) compatibility issue and not hardware. Does this make
sense? Also I should mention I have SP2 installed.