After Power down from WinXP Pro Computer Will Not Power Up

I have built and upgraded quite a number of PCs in the IBM ATX
architecture.

Today, I moved the internals of a computer that has been successfully
running Windows XP Pro for 2-1/2 years. That computer's internals include
an ASUS P3V4X Motherboard, 3 ATA-100 hard drives (all controlled by an
ATA/100 Promise PCI controller,) a CD-RW drive, 3 CD-ROM drives, a 3COM NIC,
a SoundBlaster PCI card, an AGP video card, and a 3 1/2" floppy drive.

After transferring all internals from my old cabinet to a new one, I powered
the computer up. It booted and started WindowsXP Pro successfully, though
prior to starting Windows XP Pro, the motherboard boot process indicated
that a problem existed with the floppy drive, which I bypassed by pressing
F1. The problem was easy enough to diagnose; somehow the power cable for
the floppy disk drive had come loose from its connector/socket. After WinXP
Pro finished its startup process successfully, I exited Windows by selecting
Start | Power Off | Power Off. The computer powered down normally.

After disconnecting the power cord from the back of the computer, I replaced
the power cable on the floppy drive's power connector. Then, I plugged the
power cord into the back of the computer and pressed the Power button.
However, nothing happened. I checked to be sure that the small wire from
the Power button was still plugged into the proper location on the
motherboard. It was. Nevertheless, the computer will not boot up.

For the moment, I'm not sure what's wrong. I don't know if the 300 Watt
power supply just happened to become defective at that time, or if something
is wrong with the motherboard.

So, I shall greatly appreciate your kind help in figuring out what's wrong.
--
With kindest regards,

Dick Smith
SmithRMS@Comcast.net
18 answers Last reply
More about after power winxp computer power

    When you unplugged the power cord from the power supply, is
    it possible you tripped a circuit break, voltage switch or a
    fuse?

    Are you sure the wall socket is powered,too?

    If you have a multimeter, check the PSU voltages.

    "AA Smith" <SmithRMS@Comcast.net> wrote in message
    |I have built and upgraded quite a number of PCs in the IBM
    ATX
    | architecture.
    |
    | Today, I moved the internals of a computer that has been
    successfully
    | running Windows XP Pro for 2-1/2 years. That computer's
    internals include
    | an ASUS P3V4X Motherboard, 3 ATA-100 hard drives (all
    controlled by an
    | ATA/100 Promise PCI controller,) a CD-RW drive, 3 CD-ROM
    drives, a 3COM NIC,
    | a SoundBlaster PCI card, an AGP video card, and a 3 1/2"
    floppy drive.

    | After transferring all internals from my old cabinet to a
    new one, I powered
    | the computer up. It booted and started WindowsXP Pro
    successfully, though
    | prior to starting Windows XP Pro, the motherboard boot
    process indicated
    | that a problem existed with the floppy drive, which I
    bypassed by pressing
    | F1. The problem was easy enough to diagnose; somehow the
    power cable for
    | the floppy disk drive had come loose from its
    connector/socket. After WinXP
    | Pro finished its startup process successfully, I exited
    Windows by selecting
    | Start | Power Off | Power Off. The computer powered down
    normally.

    | After disconnecting the power cord from the back of the
    computer, I replaced
    | the power cable on the floppy drive's power connector.
    Then, I plugged the
    | power cord into the back of the computer and pressed the
    Power button.
    | However, nothing happened. I checked to be sure that the
    small wire from
    | the Power button was still plugged into the proper
    location on the
    | motherboard. It was. Nevertheless, the computer will not
    boot up.

    | For the moment, I'm not sure what's wrong. I don't know
    if the 300 Watt
    | power supply just happened to become defective at that
    time, or if something
    | is wrong with the motherboard.
    |
    | So, I shall greatly appreciate your kind help in figuring
    out what's wrong.
    | --
    | With kindest regards,
    |
    | Dick Smith
    | SmithRMS@Comcast.net

    Hi, Jim!

    Thanks for your feedback. I sincerely appreciate your interest.

    The wall socket is definitely powered.

    I am not aware of any circuit breaker or fuse in the 300-watt power supply.
    There is a red volt setting switch; it's set to 115. If there's a fuse or
    circuit breaker of some sort on the ASUS P3V4X motherboard, I'm not aware of
    it.
    --
    With kindest regards,

    Dick Smith
    SmithRMS@Comcast.net

    > When you unplugged the power cord from the power supply, is
    > it possible you tripped a circuit break, voltage switch or a
    > fuse?
    >
    > Are you sure the wall socket is powered,too?
    >
    > If you have a multimeter, check the PSU voltages.

    > "AA Smith" <SmithRMS@Comcast.net> wrote in message
    > |I have built and upgraded quite a number of PCs in the IBM
    > ATX
    > | architecture.
    > |
    > | Today, I moved the internals of a computer that has been
    > successfully
    > | running Windows XP Pro for 2-1/2 years. That computer's
    > internals include
    > | an ASUS P3V4X Motherboard, 3 ATA-100 hard drives (all
    > controlled by an
    > | ATA/100 Promise PCI controller,) a CD-RW drive, 3 CD-ROM
    > drives, a 3COM NIC,
    > | a SoundBlaster PCI card, an AGP video card, and a 3 1/2"
    > floppy drive.
    > |
    > | After transferring all internals from my old cabinet to a
    > new one, I powered
    > | the computer up. It booted and started WindowsXP Pro
    > successfully, though
    > | prior to starting Windows XP Pro, the motherboard boot
    > process indicated
    > | that a problem existed with the floppy drive, which I
    > bypassed by pressing
    > | F1. The problem was easy enough to diagnose; somehow the
    > power cable for
    > | the floppy disk drive had come loose from its
    > connector/socket. After WinXP
    > | Pro finished its startup process successfully, I exited
    > Windows by selecting
    > | Start | Power Off | Power Off. The computer powered down
    > normally.
    > |
    > | After disconnecting the power cord from the back of the
    > computer, I replaced
    > | the power cable on the floppy drive's power connector.
    > Then, I plugged the
    > | power cord into the back of the computer and pressed the
    > Power button.
    > | However, nothing happened. I checked to be sure that the
    > small wire from
    > | the Power button was still plugged into the proper
    > location on the
    > | motherboard. It was. Nevertheless, the computer will not
    > boot up.
    > |
    > | For the moment, I'm not sure what's wrong. I don't know
    > if the 300 Watt
    > | power supply just happened to become defective at that
    > time, or if something
    > | is wrong with the motherboard.
    > |
    > | So, I shall greatly appreciate your kind help in figuring
    > out what's wrong.
    > | --
    > | With kindest regards,
    > |
    > | Dick Smith
    > | SmithRMS@Comcast.net

    Hello, again, Jim;

    I forgot to mention that I don't have a multimeter or volt meter of any
    kind.
    --
    With kindest regards,

    Dick Smith
    SmithRMS@Comcast.net
    > When you unplugged the power cord from the power supply, is
    > it possible you tripped a circuit break, voltage switch or a
    > fuse?
    >
    > Are you sure the wall socket is powered,too?
    >
    > If you have a multimeter, check the PSU voltages.

    > "AA Smith" <SmithRMS@Comcast.net> wrote in message
    > |I have built and upgraded quite a number of PCs in the IBM
    > ATX
    > | architecture.
    > |
    > | Today, I moved the internals of a computer that has been
    > successfully
    > | running Windows XP Pro for 2-1/2 years. That computer's
    > internals include
    > | an ASUS P3V4X Motherboard, 3 ATA-100 hard drives (all
    > controlled by an
    > | ATA/100 Promise PCI controller,) a CD-RW drive, 3 CD-ROM
    > drives, a 3COM NIC,
    > | a SoundBlaster PCI card, an AGP video card, and a 3 1/2"
    > floppy drive.
    > |
    > | After transferring all internals from my old cabinet to a
    > new one, I powered
    > | the computer up. It booted and started WindowsXP Pro
    > successfully, though
    > | prior to starting Windows XP Pro, the motherboard boot
    > process indicated
    > | that a problem existed with the floppy drive, which I
    > bypassed by pressing
    > | F1. The problem was easy enough to diagnose; somehow the
    > power cable for
    > | the floppy disk drive had come loose from its
    > connector/socket. After WinXP
    > | Pro finished its startup process successfully, I exited
    > Windows by selecting
    > | Start | Power Off | Power Off. The computer powered down
    > normally.
    > |
    > | After disconnecting the power cord from the back of the
    > computer, I replaced
    > | the power cable on the floppy drive's power connector.
    > Then, I plugged the
    > | power cord into the back of the computer and pressed the
    > Power button.
    > | However, nothing happened. I checked to be sure that the
    > small wire from
    > | the Power button was still plugged into the proper
    > location on the
    > | motherboard. It was. Nevertheless, the computer will not
    > boot up.
    > |
    > | For the moment, I'm not sure what's wrong. I don't know
    > if the 300 Watt
    > | power supply just happened to become defective at that
    > time, or if something
    > | is wrong with the motherboard.
    > |
    > | So, I shall greatly appreciate your kind help in figuring
    > out what's wrong.
    > | --
    > | With kindest regards,
    > |
    > | Dick Smith
    > | SmithRMS@Comcast.net

    Don't change the subject line, put the questions and answers
    in the body, please.

    PSU do have internal circuit protection, if you're sure the
    wall outlet has power and nothing happens when you press the
    power switch, some failure, perhaps a fuse, broken wire or
    such is the likely problem.
    Do any fans or lights work? Any beeps?

    You can buy a simple tester/meter for the power supply for
    $10-20, it might be a good investment and it can be used to
    check many other things too. Radio Shack has a nice little
    book on how to use a multimeter Google for "multimeter book
    radio shack" or "how to use a multimeter."

    | Hello, again, Jim;
    |
    | I forgot to mention that I don't have a multimeter or volt
    meter of any
    | kind.
    | --
    | With kindest regards,
    |
    | Dick Smith
    | SmithRMS@Comcast.net
    in message
    | > When you unplugged the power cord from the power supply,
    is
    | > it possible you tripped a circuit break, voltage switch
    or a
    | > fuse?
    | >
    | > Are you sure the wall socket is powered,too?
    | >
    | > If you have a multimeter, check the PSU voltages.
    | >

    | > --
    | >

    | > "AA Smith" <SmithRMS@Comcast.net> wrote in message
    | > |I have built and upgraded quite a number of PCs in the
    IBM
    | > ATX
    | > | architecture.
    | > |
    | > | Today, I moved the internals of a computer that has
    been
    | > successfully
    | > | running Windows XP Pro for 2-1/2 years. That
    computer's
    | > internals include
    | > | an ASUS P3V4X Motherboard, 3 ATA-100 hard drives (all
    | > controlled by an
    | > | ATA/100 Promise PCI controller,) a CD-RW drive, 3
    CD-ROM
    | > drives, a 3COM NIC,
    | > | a SoundBlaster PCI card, an AGP video card, and a 3
    1/2"
    | > floppy drive.
    | > |
    | > | After transferring all internals from my old cabinet
    to a
    | > new one, I powered
    | > | the computer up. It booted and started WindowsXP Pro
    | > successfully, though
    | > | prior to starting Windows XP Pro, the motherboard boot
    | > process indicated
    | > | that a problem existed with the floppy drive, which I
    | > bypassed by pressing
    | > | F1. The problem was easy enough to diagnose; somehow
    the
    | > power cable for
    | > | the floppy disk drive had come loose from its
    | > connector/socket. After WinXP
    | > | Pro finished its startup process successfully, I
    exited
    | > Windows by selecting
    | > | Start | Power Off | Power Off. The computer powered
    down
    | > normally.
    | > |
    | > | After disconnecting the power cord from the back of
    the
    | > computer, I replaced
    | > | the power cable on the floppy drive's power connector.
    | > Then, I plugged the
    | > | power cord into the back of the computer and pressed
    the
    | > Power button.
    | > | However, nothing happened. I checked to be sure that
    the
    | > small wire from
    | > | the Power button was still plugged into the proper
    | > location on the
    | > | motherboard. It was. Nevertheless, the computer will
    not
    | > boot up.
    | > |
    | > | For the moment, I'm not sure what's wrong. I don't
    know
    | > if the 300 Watt
    | > | power supply just happened to become defective at that
    | > time, or if something
    | > | is wrong with the motherboard.
    | > |
    | > | So, I shall greatly appreciate your kind help in
    figuring
    | > out what's wrong.
    | > | --
    | > | With kindest regards,
    | > |
    | > | Dick Smith
    | > | SmithRMS@Comcast.net
    | > |
    | > |

    Hello, again, Jim,

    Nothing happens when I press the Power button; no fans, no beeps, nothing
    whatsoever.

    I will pickup a tester at Radio Shack today.

    I don't understand the initials "PSU". What do they stand for?
    --
    With kindest regards,

    Dick Smith
    SmithRMS@Comcast.net

> [...]
    > | Hello, again, Jim;
    > |
    > | I forgot to mention that I don't have a multimeter or volt
    > meter of any
    > | kind.
    > | --
    > | With kindest regards,
    > |
    > | Dick Smith
    > | SmithRMS@Comcast.net
    > | "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote
    > in message
    > | > When you unplugged the power cord from the power supply,
    > is
    > | > it possible you tripped a circuit break, voltage switch
    > or a
    > | > fuse?
    > | >
    > | > Are you sure the wall socket is powered,too?
    > | >
    > | > If you have a multimeter, check the PSU voltages.
    > | >

    > | > --
    > | > The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
    > | > But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.

    Try the simple first.
    It was working before and you only switched the floppy cable.
    Perhaps you pulled or bumped a wire lose from the motherboard connections.
    Like the ........Power button wiring to the motherboard........Check all
    your connections.

    "AA Smith" wrote:

    > I have built and upgraded quite a number of PCs in the IBM ATX
    > architecture.
    >
    > Today, I moved the internals of a computer that has been successfully
    > running Windows XP Pro for 2-1/2 years. That computer's internals include
    > an ASUS P3V4X Motherboard, 3 ATA-100 hard drives (all controlled by an
    > ATA/100 Promise PCI controller,) a CD-RW drive, 3 CD-ROM drives, a 3COM NIC,
    > a SoundBlaster PCI card, an AGP video card, and a 3 1/2" floppy drive.
    >
    > After transferring all internals from my old cabinet to a new one, I powered
    > the computer up. It booted and started WindowsXP Pro successfully, though
    > prior to starting Windows XP Pro, the motherboard boot process indicated
    > that a problem existed with the floppy drive, which I bypassed by pressing
    > F1. The problem was easy enough to diagnose; somehow the power cable for
    > the floppy disk drive had come loose from its connector/socket. After WinXP
    > Pro finished its startup process successfully, I exited Windows by selecting
    > Start | Power Off | Power Off. The computer powered down normally.
    >
    > After disconnecting the power cord from the back of the computer, I replaced
    > the power cable on the floppy drive's power connector. Then, I plugged the
    > power cord into the back of the computer and pressed the Power button.
    > However, nothing happened. I checked to be sure that the small wire from
    > the Power button was still plugged into the proper location on the
    > motherboard. It was. Nevertheless, the computer will not boot up.
    >
    > For the moment, I'm not sure what's wrong. I don't know if the 300 Watt
    > power supply just happened to become defective at that time, or if something
    > is wrong with the motherboard.
    >
    > So, I shall greatly appreciate your kind help in figuring out what's wrong.
    > --
    > With kindest regards,
    >
    > Dick Smith
    > SmithRMS@Comcast.net

    Thanks stonekeyboards for your feedback.

    I have double-checked all wiring connections to th motherboard; all are
    properly connected, including the Power Switch connector and the ATX Power
    supply connection to the ASUS P3V4X motherboard.
    --
    With kindest regards

    Dick Smith

    "stonekeyboards" <stonekeyboards@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Try the simple first.
    > It was working before and you only switched the floppy cable.
    > Perhaps you pulled or bumped a wire lose from the motherboard connections.
    > Like the ........Power button wiring to the motherboard........Check all
    > your connections.
    >
    > "AA Smith" wrote:
    >
    >> I have built and upgraded quite a number of PCs in the IBM ATX
    >> architecture.
    >>
    >> Today, I moved the internals of a computer that has been successfully
    >> running Windows XP Pro for 2-1/2 years. That computer's internals
    >> include
    >> an ASUS P3V4X Motherboard, 3 ATA-100 hard drives (all controlled by an
    >> ATA/100 Promise PCI controller,) a CD-RW drive, 3 CD-ROM drives, a 3COM
    >> NIC,
    >> a SoundBlaster PCI card, an AGP video card, and a 3 1/2" floppy drive.
    >>
    >> After transferring all internals from my old cabinet to a new one, I
    >> powered
    >> the computer up. It booted and started WindowsXP Pro successfully,
    >> though
    >> prior to starting Windows XP Pro, the motherboard boot process indicated
    >> that a problem existed with the floppy drive, which I bypassed by
    >> pressing
    >> F1. The problem was easy enough to diagnose; somehow the power cable for
    >> the floppy disk drive had come loose from its connector/socket. After
    >> WinXP
    >> Pro finished its startup process successfully, I exited Windows by
    >> selecting
    >> Start | Power Off | Power Off. The computer powered down normally.
    >>
    >> After disconnecting the power cord from the back of the computer, I
    >> replaced
    >> the power cable on the floppy drive's power connector. Then, I plugged
    >> the
    >> power cord into the back of the computer and pressed the Power button.
    >> However, nothing happened. I checked to be sure that the small wire from
    >> the Power button was still plugged into the proper location on the
    >> motherboard. It was. Nevertheless, the computer will not boot up.
    >>
    >> For the moment, I'm not sure what's wrong. I don't know if the 300 Watt
    >> power supply just happened to become defective at that time, or if
    >> something
    >> is wrong with the motherboard.
    >>
    >> So, I shall greatly appreciate your kind help in figuring out what's
    >> wrong.
    >> --
    >> With kindest regards,
    >>
    >> Dick Smith
    >> SmithRMS@Comcast.net

    shorthand for power supply unit
    mobo motherboard

    | Hello, again, Jim,
    |
    | Nothing happens when I press the Power button; no fans, no
    beeps, nothing
    | whatsoever.
    |
    | I will pickup a tester at Radio Shack today.
    |
    | I don't understand the initials "PSU". What do they
    stand for?
    | --
    | With kindest regards,
    |
    | Dick Smith
    | SmithRMS@Comcast.net

    in message
    | > Don't change the subject line, put the questions and
    answers
    | > in the body, please.
    | >
    | > PSU do have internal circuit protection, if you're sure
    the
    | > wall outlet has power and nothing happens when you press
    the
    | > power switch, some failure, perhaps a fuse, broken wire
    or
    | > such is the likely problem.
    | > Do any fans or lights work? Any beeps?
    | >
    | > You can buy a simple tester/meter for the power supply
    for
    | > $10-20, it might be a good investment and it can be used
    | > check many other things too. Radio Shack has a nice
    little
    | > book on how to use a multimeter Google for "multimeter
    book
    | > radio shack" or "how to use a multimeter."
    | >

    | > "AA Smith" <SmithRMS@Comcast.net> wrote in message
    | > | Hello, again, Jim;
    | > |
    | > | I forgot to mention that I don't have a multimeter or
    volt
    | > meter of any
    | > | kind.
    | > | --
    | > | With kindest regards,
    | > |
    | > | Dick Smith
    | > | SmithRMS@Comcast.net
    | > | "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
    wrote
    | > in message
    | > is
    | > or a

    overcome.

    | > IBM
    | > | > |
    | > been
    | > computer's
    | > CD-ROM
    | > 1/2"
    | > | > |
    cabinet
    | > to a
    Pro
    which I
    somehow
    | > the
    | > exited
    powered
    | > down
    | > | > |
    | > the
    connector.
    pressed
    | > the
    | > the
    | > not
    | > | > |
    don't
    | > know
    | > | > |
    | > figuring
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > | > |

    | > |
    | > |

    Hello, again, Jim;

    This problem just gets curioser and curioser. I have double-checked all
    wiring connections to the motherboard; all are properly connected, including
    the Power Switch connector and the ATX Power supply connection to the ASUS
    P3V4X motherboard.

    I took your suggestion on getting the RS Multimeter. However, the folks
    there were not aware of the How to Use book that you mentioned. So, I
    checked Google and found guidelines for testing the 300 watt ATX Power
    Supply. With the AC power cord from the wall socket plugged into the ATX
    Power Supply, I set the Multimeter to 15 volts DC (the lowest setting
    available on this Multimeter. I then used the black probe to probe one of
    the black wires in an unused power connector coming from the power supply.
    I used the red probe to probe the yellow wire in the power connector. I got
    no reading at all. I then used the red probe to probe the red wire socket
    on the power connector. Again, I got no reading. Incidentally, I did
    install a good AAA battery in the Multimeter before getting started.

    According to the guidelines I found on the article, that meant that the
    power supply was dead and needed replacement.

    So, I replaced it with as 400 watt, unswitched power supply and made all of
    the appropriate connections to the motherboard and floppy drive, hard drives
    and CD-ROMs

    However, the computer still wouldn't start. Absolutely nothing happens
    when I press the power button. No beep, no fans whirring, no lights flash.
    Nada!

    So I used the Multimeter to probe the 400 watt power supply's power
    connector's black, yellow, and red wires with the Multimeter set to 15 DCV.
    However, the needle did not budge from zero. It produced no reading
    whatsoever.

    Though it may be the case, I find it hard to believe that both power
    supply's are defective.

    I shall very greatly appreciate ay further ideas as to what might be keeping
    this computer from starting.
    --
    With kindest regards

    Dick Smith

> [...]
    > | Hello, again, Jim;
    > |
    > | I forgot to mention that I don't have a multimeter or volt
    > meter of any
    > | kind.
    > | --
    > | With kindest regards,
    > |
    > | Dick Smith
    > | SmithRMS@Comcast.net
    > | "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote
    > in message
    > | > When you unplugged the power cord from the power supply,
    > is
    > | > it possible you tripped a circuit break, voltage switch
    > or a
    > | > fuse?
    > | >
    > | > Are you sure the wall socket is powered,too?
    > | >
    > | > If you have a multimeter, check the PSU voltages.
    > | >

    > | > --
    > | > The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
    > | > But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.

    You need to have a resistor/jumper to "turn the PSU ON"
    before it will provide voltage to the system.

    You do need to be sure that you're making metal to metal
    commotions inside the connectors.

    I will be busy with the New Year celebrations, so take your
    time, read the instructions and be careful not to damage
    your hardware or injure yourself.
    I would suggest that you double check everything, from using
    the meter on a 120 volt setting to check that the power cord
    is making power avail;able to the PSU and then check on each
    connector for rated voltage.

    Just be careful.

> [...]
    | > Don't change the subject line, put the questions and
    answers
    | > in the body, please.
    | >
    | > PSU do have internal circuit protection, if you're sure
    the
    | > wall outlet has power and nothing happens when you press
    the
    | > power switch, some failure, perhaps a fuse, broken wire
    or
    | > such is the likely problem.
    | > Do any fans or lights work? Any beeps?
    | >
    | > You can buy a simple tester/meter for the power supply
    for
    | > $10-20, it might be a good investment and it can be used
    | > check many other things too. Radio Shack has a nice
    little
    | > book on how to use a multimeter Google for "multimeter
    book
    | > radio shack" or "how to use a multimeter."

    | > |
    | > | I forgot to mention that I don't have a multimeter or
    volt
    | > meter of any
    | > | kind.
    | > | --
    | > | With kindest regards,
    | > |
    | > | Dick Smith
    | > | SmithRMS@Comcast.net
    | > | "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
    wrote
    | > in message
    | > is
    | > or a

    overcome.

    | > IBM
    | > | > |
    | > been
    | > computer's
    | > CD-ROM
    | > 1/2"
    | > | > |
    cabinet
    | > to a
    Pro
    which I
    somehow
    | > the
    | > exited
    powered
    | > down
    | > | > |
    | > the
    connector.
    pressed
    | > the
    | > the
    | > not
    | > | > |
    don't
    | > know
    | > | > |
    | > figuring
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > | > |

    | > |
    | > |

    Thanks, again, Jim! I greatly appreciate your help.

    Where and how would I place a jumper to turn the PSU ON? The Power Switch?

    I'll try the tests again and be sure to make metal-to-metal contact with the
    Multimeter.

    Are you suggesting that I probe the female socket on the power cord with the
    Multimeter set on 120 volts DC while the power cord is plugged into the wall
    socket?
    The settings on the dial for this Multimeter are limited to 15 volts, 150
    volts, and 500 volts. The same holds true for AC voltage settings on the
    Multimeter dial.
    --
    With kindest regards

    Dick Smith

> [...]

    > battery in the Multimeter before getting started.

    > According to the guidelines I found on the article, that meant that
    > the power supply was dead and needed replacement.
    >
    > So, I replaced it with as 400 watt, unswitched power supply and made
    > all of the appropriate connections to the motherboard and floppy
    > drive, hard drives and CD-ROMs
    >
    > However, the computer still wouldn't start. Absolutely nothing
    > happens when I press the power button. No beep, no fans whirring, no
    > lights flash. Nada!
    >
    > So I used the Multimeter to probe the 400 watt power supply's power
    > connector's black, yellow, and red wires with the Multimeter set to 15
    > DCV. However, the needle did not budge from zero. It produced no
    > reading whatsoever.
    >
    > Though it may be the case, I find it hard to believe that both power

    Me too, though it could be so. You did have the meter set to read DC
    voltages, not AC or Resistance? I've done that more times than I would
    care to admit.

    Also, the little black switch on the back of the PSU, if it has one as
    most new ones do, is ON not OFF I guess. I've done that too.

    > I shall very greatly appreciate ay further ideas as to what might be
    > keeping this computer from starting.
    > --
    > With kindest regards
    >
    > Dick Smith
    >
    > "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote in message
    >> Don't change the subject line, put the questions and answers
    >> in the body, please.
    >>
    >> PSU do have internal circuit protection, if you're sure the
    >> wall outlet has power and nothing happens when you press the
    >> power switch, some failure, perhaps a fuse, broken wire or
    >> such is the likely problem.
    >> Do any fans or lights work? Any beeps?
    >>
    >> You can buy a simple tester/meter for the power supply for
    >> $10-20, it might be a good investment and it can be used to
    >> check many other things too. Radio Shack has a nice little
    >> book on how to use a multimeter Google for "multimeter book
    >> radio shack" or "how to use a multimeter."
    >>

    >> "AA Smith" <SmithRMS@Comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> | Hello, again, Jim;
    >> |
    >> | I forgot to mention that I don't have a multimeter or volt
    >> meter of any
    >> | kind.
    >> | --
    >> | With kindest regards,
    >> |
    >> | Dick Smith
    >> | SmithRMS@Comcast.net
    >> | "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote
    >> in message
    >> is
    >> or a

    >> IBM
    >> | > |
    >> been
    >> computer's
    >> CD-ROM
    >> 1/2"
    >> | > |
    >> to a
    >> the
    >> exited
    >> down
    >> | > |
    >> the
    >> the
    >> the
    >> not
    >> | > |
    >> know
    >> | > |
    >> figuring
    >> | > |
    >> | > |
    >> | > |

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Hi, Jack! Thanks for your interest.

    Yes I did have the Multimeter set to 15 volts DC (DCV). My 300 watt power
    supply has a switch on the back with off & on symbols O and I. I can never
    remember which is off and which is on, so I tried it on both settings. The
    400 watt PSU does not have a switch on the back other than the one that
    selects voltage, which is set to 115.
    This really is strange.
    --
    With kindest regards

    Dick Smith
    "Jack Gillis" <XXXXXXXX@widomaker.com> wrote in message

> [...]
    >> keeping this computer from starting.
    >> --
    >> With kindest regards
    >>
    >> Dick Smith
    >>
    >> "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote in message
    >>> Don't change the subject line, put the questions and answers
    >>> in the body, please.
    >>>
    >>> PSU do have internal circuit protection, if you're sure the
    >>> wall outlet has power and nothing happens when you press the
    >>> power switch, some failure, perhaps a fuse, broken wire or
    >>> such is the likely problem.
    >>> Do any fans or lights work? Any beeps?
    >>>
    >>> You can buy a simple tester/meter for the power supply for
    >>> $10-20, it might be a good investment and it can be used to
    >>> check many other things too. Radio Shack has a nice little
    >>> book on how to use a multimeter Google for "multimeter book
    >>> radio shack" or "how to use a multimeter."

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 23:44:36 -0600, "AA Smith" <SmithRMS@Comcast.net>
    wrote:

    >I have built and upgraded quite a number of PCs in the IBM ATX
    >architecture.
    >
    >Today, I moved the internals of a computer that has been successfully
    >running Windows XP Pro for 2-1/2 years. That computer's internals include
    >an ASUS P3V4X Motherboard, 3 ATA-100 hard drives (all controlled by an
    >ATA/100 Promise PCI controller,) a CD-RW drive, 3 CD-ROM drives, a 3COM NIC,
    >a SoundBlaster PCI card, an AGP video card, and a 3 1/2" floppy drive.
    >
    >After transferring all internals from my old cabinet to a new one, I powered
    >the computer up. It booted and started WindowsXP Pro successfully, though
    >prior to starting Windows XP Pro, the motherboard boot process indicated
    >that a problem existed with the floppy drive, which I bypassed by pressing
    >F1. The problem was easy enough to diagnose; somehow the power cable for
    >the floppy disk drive had come loose from its connector/socket. After WinXP
    >Pro finished its startup process successfully, I exited Windows by selecting
    >Start | Power Off | Power Off. The computer powered down normally.
    >
    >After disconnecting the power cord from the back of the computer, I replaced
    >the power cable on the floppy drive's power connector. Then, I plugged the
    >power cord into the back of the computer and pressed the Power button.
    >However, nothing happened. I checked to be sure that the small wire from
    >the Power button was still plugged into the proper location on the
    >motherboard. It was. Nevertheless, the computer will not boot up.

    Try unplugging the power cable to the floppy power connector, and see
    if the computer goes on.

    >For the moment, I'm not sure what's wrong. I don't know if the 300 Watt
    >power supply just happened to become defective at that time, or if something
    >is wrong with the motherboard.
    >
    >So, I shall greatly appreciate your kind help in figuring out what's wrong.
  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 14:03:28 -0600, "AA Smith" <SmithRMS@Comcast.net>
    wrote:

    >Hello, again, Jim;
    >
    >This problem just gets curioser and curioser. I have double-checked all
    >wiring connections to the motherboard; all are properly connected, including
    >the Power Switch connector and the ATX Power supply connection to the ASUS
    >P3V4X motherboard.
    >
    >I took your suggestion on getting the RS Multimeter. However, the folks
    >there were not aware of the How to Use book that you mentioned. So, I
    >checked Google and found guidelines for testing the 300 watt ATX Power
    >Supply. With the AC power cord from the wall socket plugged into the ATX
    >Power Supply, I set the Multimeter to 15 volts DC (the lowest setting
    >available on this Multimeter. I then used the black probe to probe one of
    >the black wires in an unused power connector coming from the power supply.
    >I used the red probe to probe the yellow wire in the power connector. I got
    >no reading at all. I then used the red probe to probe the red wire socket
    >on the power connector. Again, I got no reading. Incidentally, I did
    >install a good AAA battery in the Multimeter before getting started.
    >
    >According to the guidelines I found on the article, that meant that the
    >power supply was dead and needed replacement.
    >
    >So, I replaced it with as 400 watt, unswitched power supply and made all of
    >the appropriate connections to the motherboard and floppy drive, hard drives
    >and CD-ROMs
    >
    >However, the computer still wouldn't start. Absolutely nothing happens
    >when I press the power button. No beep, no fans whirring, no lights flash.
    >Nada!
    >
    >So I used the Multimeter to probe the 400 watt power supply's power
    >connector's black, yellow, and red wires with the Multimeter set to 15 DCV.
    >However, the needle did not budge from zero. It produced no reading
    >whatsoever.
    >
    >Though it may be the case, I find it hard to believe that both power
    >supply's are defective.
    >
    >I shall very greatly appreciate ay further ideas as to what might be keeping
    >this computer from starting.

    The first thing you should check is the standby voltage, 5Vsb. Without
    it, the motherboard won't be able to turn on the power supply. If it's
    +5 volts, which I'm guessing it is, then check power supply on, PS-On,
    while you depress the case power button. PS-On should have positive
    voltage (2 - 5 volts) when the computer is off, and be at ground (less
    than 0.8 volts) when the case power button is depressed and when the
    computer is running. If PS-On goes to ground when the case power
    button is depressed, but the power supply does not run, then one or
    more of the power supply outputs is probably shorted to ground.
  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Check the motherboard mountings to the chassis don't include any 'spare'
    supporters. These spare standoffs must be removed if they are the bare metal
    types, since only one can short out a track on the motherboard, and the PC
    will behave exactly as you describe, nothing happens.

    "AA Smith" <SmithRMS@Comcast.net> wrote in message
    >I have built and upgraded quite a number of PCs in the IBM ATX
    >architecture.
    >
    > Today, I moved the internals of a computer that has been successfully
    > running Windows XP Pro for 2-1/2 years. That computer's internals include
    > an ASUS P3V4X Motherboard, 3 ATA-100 hard drives (all controlled by an
    > ATA/100 Promise PCI controller,) a CD-RW drive, 3 CD-ROM drives, a 3COM
    > NIC, a SoundBlaster PCI card, an AGP video card, and a 3 1/2" floppy
    > drive.
    >
    > After transferring all internals from my old cabinet to a new one, I
    > powered the computer up. It booted and started WindowsXP Pro
    > successfully, though prior to starting Windows XP Pro, the motherboard
    > boot process indicated that a problem existed with the floppy drive, which
    > I bypassed by pressing F1. The problem was easy enough to diagnose;
    > somehow the power cable for the floppy disk drive had come loose from its
    > connector/socket. After WinXP Pro finished its startup process
    > successfully, I exited Windows by selecting Start | Power Off | Power
    > Off. The computer powered down normally.
    >
    > After disconnecting the power cord from the back of the computer, I
    > replaced the power cable on the floppy drive's power connector. Then, I
    > plugged the power cord into the back of the computer and pressed the Power
    > button. However, nothing happened. I checked to be sure that the small
    > wire from the Power button was still plugged into the proper location on
    > the motherboard. It was. Nevertheless, the computer will not boot up.
    >
    > For the moment, I'm not sure what's wrong. I don't know if the 300 Watt
    > power supply just happened to become defective at that time, or if
    > something is wrong with the motherboard.
    >
    > So, I shall greatly appreciate your kind help in figuring out what's
    > wrong.
    > --
    > With kindest regards,
    >
    > Dick Smith
    > SmithRMS@Comcast.net

  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Hi, Gary! Happy New Year!

    Sorry I haven't gotten back to you folks sooner. Last night was quite a
    to-do here and I'm just getting going today.

    The problem is solved thanks to the generous help of those in this newsgroup
    that have taken an interest. I wound up removing the power supply to one
    component at a time, starting with the floppy, and checking to see if the
    PSU would start the computer after each removal. After everything was
    removed and still no perceptible juice came forth from the PSU, I removed
    the motherboard to check its mountings as you had suggested. I then found a
    screw laying under the mobo in such a way that it had to press against the
    mobo when it was mounted. Oddly enough, I couldn't visually detect any
    damage to the mobo. So, I removed the screw, remounted the mobo and hooked
    everything back up. When I pressed the Power button, the computer started
    and seems to run ok. So, I guess the screw did no permanent damage.

    Thanks again for your kind and generous help. I sincerely appreciate it.
    --
    With kindest regards

    Dick Smith

    "Gary" <cc@dd.com> wrote in message
    > Check the motherboard mountings to the chassis don't include any 'spare'
    > supporters. These spare standoffs must be removed if they are the bare
    > metal types, since only one can short out a track on the motherboard, and
    > the PC will behave exactly as you describe, nothing happens.
    >
    > "AA Smith" <SmithRMS@Comcast.net> wrote in message
    >>I have built and upgraded quite a number of PCs in the IBM ATX
    >>architecture.
    >>
    >> Today, I moved the internals of a computer that has been successfully
    >> running Windows XP Pro for 2-1/2 years. That computer's internals
    >> include an ASUS P3V4X Motherboard, 3 ATA-100 hard drives (all controlled
    >> by an ATA/100 Promise PCI controller,) a CD-RW drive, 3 CD-ROM drives, a
    >> 3COM NIC, a SoundBlaster PCI card, an AGP video card, and a 3 1/2"
    >> floppy drive.
    >>
    >> After transferring all internals from my old cabinet to a new one, I
    >> powered the computer up. It booted and started WindowsXP Pro
    >> successfully, though prior to starting Windows XP Pro, the motherboard
    >> boot process indicated that a problem existed with the floppy drive,
    >> which I bypassed by pressing F1. The problem was easy enough to
    >> diagnose; somehow the power cable for the floppy disk drive had come
    >> loose from its connector/socket. After WinXP Pro finished its startup
    >> process successfully, I exited Windows by selecting Start | Power Off |
    >> Power Off. The computer powered down normally.
    >>
    >> After disconnecting the power cord from the back of the computer, I
    >> replaced the power cable on the floppy drive's power connector. Then, I
    >> plugged the power cord into the back of the computer and pressed the
    >> Power button. However, nothing happened. I checked to be sure that the
    >> small wire from the Power button was still plugged into the proper
    >> location on the motherboard. It was. Nevertheless, the computer will
    >> not boot up.
    >>
    >> For the moment, I'm not sure what's wrong. I don't know if the 300 Watt
    >> power supply just happened to become defective at that time, or if
    >> something is wrong with the motherboard.
    >>
    >> So, I shall greatly appreciate your kind help in figuring out what's
    >> wrong.
    >> --
    >> With kindest regards,
    >>
    >> Dick Smith
    >> SmithRMS@Comcast.net

  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Ah, a case solved!

    Happy New Year!!

> [...]
    >>> process successfully, I exited Windows by selecting Start | Power Off |
    >>> Power Off. The computer powered down normally.
    >>>
    >>> After disconnecting the power cord from the back of the computer, I
    >>> replaced the power cable on the floppy drive's power connector. Then, I
    >>> plugged the power cord into the back of the computer and pressed the
    >>> Power button. However, nothing happened. I checked to be sure that the
    >>> small wire from the Power button was still plugged into the proper
    >>> location on the motherboard. It was. Nevertheless, the computer will
    >>> not boot up.
    >>>
    >>> For the moment, I'm not sure what's wrong. I don't know if the 300 Watt
    >>> power supply just happened to become defective at that time, or if
    >>> something is wrong with the motherboard.
    >>>
    >>> So, I shall greatly appreciate your kind help in figuring out what's

Computers Windows XP