After Power down from WinXP Pro Computer Will Not Power Up

December 31, 2004 2:44:36 AM

I have built and upgraded quite a number of PCs in the IBM ATX
architecture.

Today, I moved the internals of a computer that has been successfully
running Windows XP Pro for 2-1/2 years. That computer's internals include
an ASUS P3V4X Motherboard, 3 ATA-100 hard drives (all controlled by an
ATA/100 Promise PCI controller,) a CD-RW drive, 3 CD-ROM drives, a 3COM NIC,
a SoundBlaster PCI card, an AGP video card, and a 3 1/2" floppy drive.

After transferring all internals from my old cabinet to a new one, I powered
the computer up. It booted and started WindowsXP Pro successfully, though
prior to starting Windows XP Pro, the motherboard boot process indicated
that a problem existed with the floppy drive, which I bypassed by pressing
F1. The problem was easy enough to diagnose; somehow the power cable for
the floppy disk drive had come loose from its connector/socket. After WinXP
Pro finished its startup process successfully, I exited Windows by selecting
Start | Power Off | Power Off. The computer powered down normally.

After disconnecting the power cord from the back of the computer, I replaced
the power cable on the floppy drive's power connector. Then, I plugged the
power cord into the back of the computer and pressed the Power button.
However, nothing happened. I checked to be sure that the small wire from
the Power button was still plugged into the proper location on the
motherboard. It was. Nevertheless, the computer will not boot up.

For the moment, I'm not sure what's wrong. I don't know if the 300 Watt
power supply just happened to become defective at that time, or if something
is wrong with the motherboard.

So, I shall greatly appreciate your kind help in figuring out what's wrong.
--
With kindest regards,

Dick Smith
SmithRMS@Comcast.net
Anonymous
December 31, 2004 2:54:41 AM

When you unplugged the power cord from the power supply, is
it possible you tripped a circuit break, voltage switch or a
fuse?

Are you sure the wall socket is powered,too?

If you have a multimeter, check the PSU voltages.

"AA Smith" <SmithRMS@Comcast.net> wrote in message
|I have built and upgraded quite a number of PCs in the IBM
ATX
| architecture.
|
| Today, I moved the internals of a computer that has been
successfully
| running Windows XP Pro for 2-1/2 years. That computer's
internals include
| an ASUS P3V4X Motherboard, 3 ATA-100 hard drives (all
controlled by an
| ATA/100 Promise PCI controller,) a CD-RW drive, 3 CD-ROM
drives, a 3COM NIC,
| a SoundBlaster PCI card, an AGP video card, and a 3 1/2"
floppy drive.

| After transferring all internals from my old cabinet to a
new one, I powered
| the computer up. It booted and started WindowsXP Pro
successfully, though
| prior to starting Windows XP Pro, the motherboard boot
process indicated
| that a problem existed with the floppy drive, which I
bypassed by pressing
| F1. The problem was easy enough to diagnose; somehow the
power cable for
| the floppy disk drive had come loose from its
connector/socket. After WinXP
| Pro finished its startup process successfully, I exited
Windows by selecting
| Start | Power Off | Power Off. The computer powered down
normally.

| After disconnecting the power cord from the back of the
computer, I replaced
| the power cable on the floppy drive's power connector.
Then, I plugged the
| power cord into the back of the computer and pressed the
Power button.
| However, nothing happened. I checked to be sure that the
small wire from
| the Power button was still plugged into the proper
location on the
| motherboard. It was. Nevertheless, the computer will not
boot up.

| For the moment, I'm not sure what's wrong. I don't know
if the 300 Watt
| power supply just happened to become defective at that
time, or if something
| is wrong with the motherboard.
|
| So, I shall greatly appreciate your kind help in figuring
out what's wrong.
| --
| With kindest regards,
|
| Dick Smith
| SmithRMS@Comcast.net

Anonymous
December 31, 2004 3:26:08 AM

Hi, Jim!

Thanks for your feedback. I sincerely appreciate your interest.

The wall socket is definitely powered.

I am not aware of any circuit breaker or fuse in the 300-watt power supply.
There is a red volt setting switch; it's set to 115. If there's a fuse or
circuit breaker of some sort on the ASUS P3V4X motherboard, I'm not aware of
it.
--
With kindest regards,

Dick Smith
SmithRMS@Comcast.net

news:o woY70v7EHA.3596@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> When you unplugged the power cord from the power supply, is
> it possible you tripped a circuit break, voltage switch or a
> fuse?
>
> Are you sure the wall socket is powered,too?
>
> If you have a multimeter, check the PSU voltages.

> "AA Smith" <SmithRMS@Comcast.net> wrote in message
> |I have built and upgraded quite a number of PCs in the IBM
> ATX
> | architecture.
> |
> | Today, I moved the internals of a computer that has been
> successfully
> | running Windows XP Pro for 2-1/2 years. That computer's
> internals include
> | an ASUS P3V4X Motherboard, 3 ATA-100 hard drives (all
> controlled by an
> | ATA/100 Promise PCI controller,) a CD-RW drive, 3 CD-ROM
> drives, a 3COM NIC,
> | a SoundBlaster PCI card, an AGP video card, and a 3 1/2"
> floppy drive.
> |
> | After transferring all internals from my old cabinet to a
> new one, I powered
> | the computer up. It booted and started WindowsXP Pro
> successfully, though
> | prior to starting Windows XP Pro, the motherboard boot
> process indicated
> | that a problem existed with the floppy drive, which I
> bypassed by pressing
> | F1. The problem was easy enough to diagnose; somehow the
> power cable for
> | the floppy disk drive had come loose from its
> connector/socket. After WinXP
> | Pro finished its startup process successfully, I exited
> Windows by selecting
> | Start | Power Off | Power Off. The computer powered down
> normally.
> |
> | After disconnecting the power cord from the back of the
> computer, I replaced
> | the power cable on the floppy drive's power connector.
> Then, I plugged the
> | power cord into the back of the computer and pressed the
> Power button.
> | However, nothing happened. I checked to be sure that the
> small wire from
> | the Power button was still plugged into the proper
> location on the
> | motherboard. It was. Nevertheless, the computer will not
> boot up.
> |
> | For the moment, I'm not sure what's wrong. I don't know
> if the 300 Watt
> | power supply just happened to become defective at that
> time, or if something
> | is wrong with the motherboard.
> |
> | So, I shall greatly appreciate your kind help in figuring
> out what's wrong.
> | --
> | With kindest regards,
> |
> | Dick Smith
> | SmithRMS@Comcast.net

December 31, 2004 3:29:07 AM

Hello, again, Jim;

I forgot to mention that I don't have a multimeter or volt meter of any
kind.
--
With kindest regards,

Dick Smith
SmithRMS@Comcast.net
news:o woY70v7EHA.3596@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> When you unplugged the power cord from the power supply, is
> it possible you tripped a circuit break, voltage switch or a
> fuse?
>
> Are you sure the wall socket is powered,too?
>
> If you have a multimeter, check the PSU voltages.

> "AA Smith" <SmithRMS@Comcast.net> wrote in message
> |I have built and upgraded quite a number of PCs in the IBM
> ATX
> | architecture.
> |
> | Today, I moved the internals of a computer that has been
> successfully
> | running Windows XP Pro for 2-1/2 years. That computer's
> internals include
> | an ASUS P3V4X Motherboard, 3 ATA-100 hard drives (all
> controlled by an
> | ATA/100 Promise PCI controller,) a CD-RW drive, 3 CD-ROM
> drives, a 3COM NIC,
> | a SoundBlaster PCI card, an AGP video card, and a 3 1/2"
> floppy drive.
> |
> | After transferring all internals from my old cabinet to a
> new one, I powered
> | the computer up. It booted and started WindowsXP Pro
> successfully, though
> | prior to starting Windows XP Pro, the motherboard boot
> process indicated
> | that a problem existed with the floppy drive, which I
> bypassed by pressing
> | F1. The problem was easy enough to diagnose; somehow the
> power cable for
> | the floppy disk drive had come loose from its
> connector/socket. After WinXP
> | Pro finished its startup process successfully, I exited
> Windows by selecting
> | Start | Power Off | Power Off. The computer powered down
> normally.
> |
> | After disconnecting the power cord from the back of the
> computer, I replaced
> | the power cable on the floppy drive's power connector.
> Then, I plugged the
> | power cord into the back of the computer and pressed the
> Power button.
> | However, nothing happened. I checked to be sure that the
> small wire from
> | the Power button was still plugged into the proper
> location on the
> | motherboard. It was. Nevertheless, the computer will not
> boot up.
> |
> | For the moment, I'm not sure what's wrong. I don't know
> if the 300 Watt
> | power supply just happened to become defective at that
> time, or if something
> | is wrong with the motherboard.
> |
> | So, I shall greatly appreciate your kind help in figuring
> out what's wrong.
> | --
> | With kindest regards,
> |
> | Dick Smith
> | SmithRMS@Comcast.net

Anonymous
December 31, 2004 6:37:39 AM

Don't change the subject line, put the questions and answers
in the body, please.

PSU do have internal circuit protection, if you're sure the
wall outlet has power and nothing happens when you press the
power switch, some failure, perhaps a fuse, broken wire or
such is the likely problem.
Do any fans or lights work? Any beeps?

You can buy a simple tester/meter for the power supply for
$10-20, it might be a good investment and it can be used to
check many other things too. Radio Shack has a nice little
book on how to use a multimeter Google for "multimeter book
radio shack" or "how to use a multimeter."

| Hello, again, Jim;
|
| I forgot to mention that I don't have a multimeter or volt
meter of any
| kind.
| --
| With kindest regards,
|
| Dick Smith
| SmithRMS@Comcast.net
in message
| news:o woY70v7EHA.3596@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
| > When you unplugged the power cord from the power supply,
is
| > it possible you tripped a circuit break, voltage switch
or a
| > fuse?
| >
| > Are you sure the wall socket is powered,too?
| >
| > If you have a multimeter, check the PSU voltages.
| >

| > --
| >

| > "AA Smith" <SmithRMS@Comcast.net> wrote in message
| > |I have built and upgraded quite a number of PCs in the
IBM
| > ATX
| > | architecture.
| > |
| > | Today, I moved the internals of a computer that has
been
| > successfully
| > | running Windows XP Pro for 2-1/2 years. That
computer's
| > internals include
| > | an ASUS P3V4X Motherboard, 3 ATA-100 hard drives (all
| > controlled by an
| > | ATA/100 Promise PCI controller,) a CD-RW drive, 3
CD-ROM
| > drives, a 3COM NIC,
| > | a SoundBlaster PCI card, an AGP video card, and a 3
1/2"
| > floppy drive.
| > |
| > | After transferring all internals from my old cabinet
to a
| > new one, I powered
| > | the computer up. It booted and started WindowsXP Pro
| > successfully, though
| > | prior to starting Windows XP Pro, the motherboard boot
| > process indicated
| > | that a problem existed with the floppy drive, which I
| > bypassed by pressing
| > | F1. The problem was easy enough to diagnose; somehow
the
| > power cable for
| > | the floppy disk drive had come loose from its
| > connector/socket. After WinXP
| > | Pro finished its startup process successfully, I
exited
| > Windows by selecting
| > | Start | Power Off | Power Off. The computer powered
down
| > normally.
| > |
| > | After disconnecting the power cord from the back of
the
| > computer, I replaced
| > | the power cable on the floppy drive's power connector.
| > Then, I plugged the
| > | power cord into the back of the computer and pressed
the
| > Power button.
| > | However, nothing happened. I checked to be sure that
the
| > small wire from
| > | the Power button was still plugged into the proper
| > location on the
| > | motherboard. It was. Nevertheless, the computer will
not
| > boot up.
| > |
| > | For the moment, I'm not sure what's wrong. I don't
know
| > if the 300 Watt
| > | power supply just happened to become defective at that
| > time, or if something
| > | is wrong with the motherboard.
| > |
| > | So, I shall greatly appreciate your kind help in
figuring
| > out what's wrong.
| > | --
| > | With kindest regards,
| > |
| > | Dick Smith
| > | SmithRMS@Comcast.net
| > |
| > |

Anonymous
December 31, 2004 7:34:41 AM

Hello, again, Jim,

Nothing happens when I press the Power button; no fans, no beeps, nothing
whatsoever.

I will pickup a tester at Radio Shack today.

I don't understand the initials "PSU". What do they stand for?
--
With kindest regards,

Dick Smith
SmithRMS@Comcast.net

> [...]
> meter of any
> | kind.
> | --
> | With kindest regards,
> |
> | Dick Smith
> | SmithRMS@Comcast.net
> | "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote
> in message
> | news:o woY70v7EHA.3596@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> | > When you unplugged the power cord from the power supply,
> is
> | > it possible you tripped a circuit break, voltage switch
> or a
> | > fuse?
> | >
> | > Are you sure the wall socket is powered,too?
> | >
> | > If you have a multimeter, check the PSU voltages.
> | >

> | > --
> | > The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
> | > But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.

Anonymous
December 31, 2004 8:59:07 AM

Try the simple first.
It was working before and you only switched the floppy cable.
Perhaps you pulled or bumped a wire lose from the motherboard connections.
Like the ........Power button wiring to the motherboard........Check all
your connections.

"AA Smith" wrote:

> I have built and upgraded quite a number of PCs in the IBM ATX
> architecture.
>
> Today, I moved the internals of a computer that has been successfully
> running Windows XP Pro for 2-1/2 years. That computer's internals include
> an ASUS P3V4X Motherboard, 3 ATA-100 hard drives (all controlled by an
> ATA/100 Promise PCI controller,) a CD-RW drive, 3 CD-ROM drives, a 3COM NIC,
> a SoundBlaster PCI card, an AGP video card, and a 3 1/2" floppy drive.
>
> After transferring all internals from my old cabinet to a new one, I powered
> the computer up. It booted and started WindowsXP Pro successfully, though
> prior to starting Windows XP Pro, the motherboard boot process indicated
> that a problem existed with the floppy drive, which I bypassed by pressing
> F1. The problem was easy enough to diagnose; somehow the power cable for
> the floppy disk drive had come loose from its connector/socket. After WinXP
> Pro finished its startup process successfully, I exited Windows by selecting
> Start | Power Off | Power Off. The computer powered down normally.
>
> After disconnecting the power cord from the back of the computer, I replaced
> the power cable on the floppy drive's power connector. Then, I plugged the
> power cord into the back of the computer and pressed the Power button.
> However, nothing happened. I checked to be sure that the small wire from
> the Power button was still plugged into the proper location on the
> motherboard. It was. Nevertheless, the computer will not boot up.
>
> For the moment, I'm not sure what's wrong. I don't know if the 300 Watt
> power supply just happened to become defective at that time, or if something
> is wrong with the motherboard.
>
> So, I shall greatly appreciate your kind help in figuring out what's wrong.
> --
> With kindest regards,
>
> Dick Smith
> SmithRMS@Comcast.net

Anonymous
December 31, 2004 4:37:48 PM

Thanks stonekeyboards for your feedback.

I have double-checked all wiring connections to th motherboard; all are
properly connected, including the Power Switch connector and the ATX Power
supply connection to the ASUS P3V4X motherboard.
--
With kindest regards

Dick Smith

"stonekeyboards" <stonekeyboards@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D C217BF7-DB7A-4965-B278-FC279EB7EA47@microsoft.com...
> Try the simple first.
> It was working before and you only switched the floppy cable.
> Perhaps you pulled or bumped a wire lose from the motherboard connections.
> Like the ........Power button wiring to the motherboard........Check all
> your connections.
>
> "AA Smith" wrote:
>
>> I have built and upgraded quite a number of PCs in the IBM ATX
>> architecture.
>>
>> Today, I moved the internals of a computer that has been successfully
>> running Windows XP Pro for 2-1/2 years. That computer's internals
>> include
>> an ASUS P3V4X Motherboard, 3 ATA-100 hard drives (all controlled by an
>> ATA/100 Promise PCI controller,) a CD-RW drive, 3 CD-ROM drives, a 3COM
>> NIC,
>> a SoundBlaster PCI card, an AGP video card, and a 3 1/2" floppy drive.
>>
>> After transferring all internals from my old cabinet to a new one, I
>> powered
>> the computer up. It booted and started WindowsXP Pro successfully,
>> though
>> prior to starting Windows XP Pro, the motherboard boot process indicated
>> that a problem existed with the floppy drive, which I bypassed by
>> pressing
>> F1. The problem was easy enough to diagnose; somehow the power cable for
>> the floppy disk drive had come loose from its connector/socket. After
>> WinXP
>> Pro finished its startup process successfully, I exited Windows by
>> selecting
>> Start | Power Off | Power Off. The computer powered down normally.
>>
>> After disconnecting the power cord from the back of the computer, I
>> replaced
>> the power cable on the floppy drive's power connector. Then, I plugged
>> the
>> power cord into the back of the computer and pressed the Power button.
>> However, nothing happened. I checked to be sure that the small wire from
>> the Power button was still plugged into the proper location on the
>> motherboard. It was. Nevertheless, the computer will not boot up.
>>
>> For the moment, I'm not sure what's wrong. I don't know if the 300 Watt
>> power supply just happened to become defective at that time, or if
>> something
>> is wrong with the motherboard.
>>
>> So, I shall greatly appreciate your kind help in figuring out what's
>> wrong.
>> --
>> With kindest regards,
>>
>> Dick Smith
>> SmithRMS@Comcast.net

Anonymous
December 31, 2004 4:52:32 PM

shorthand for power supply unit
mobo motherboard

"AA Smith" <SmithRMS@Comcast.net> wrote in message
news:o LplkRy7EHA.1296@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
| Hello, again, Jim,
|
| Nothing happens when I press the Power button; no fans, no
beeps, nothing
| whatsoever.
|
| I will pickup a tester at Radio Shack today.
|
| I don't understand the initials "PSU". What do they
stand for?
| --
| With kindest regards,
|
| Dick Smith
| SmithRMS@Comcast.net

in message
| > Don't change the subject line, put the questions and
answers
| > in the body, please.
| >
| > PSU do have internal circuit protection, if you're sure
the
| > wall outlet has power and nothing happens when you press
the
| > power switch, some failure, perhaps a fuse, broken wire
or
| > such is the likely problem.
| > Do any fans or lights work? Any beeps?
| >
| > You can buy a simple tester/meter for the power supply
for
| > $10-20, it might be a good investment and it can be used
| > check many other things too. Radio Shack has a nice
little
| > book on how to use a multimeter Google for "multimeter
book
| > radio shack" or "how to use a multimeter."
| >

| > "AA Smith" <SmithRMS@Comcast.net> wrote in message
| > | Hello, again, Jim;
| > |
| > | I forgot to mention that I don't have a multimeter or
volt
| > meter of any
| > | kind.
| > | --
| > | With kindest regards,
| > |
| > | Dick Smith
| > | SmithRMS@Comcast.net
| > | "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
wrote
| > in message
| > | news:o woY70v7EHA.3596@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
supply,
| > is
switch
| > or a

rights;
overcome.

the
| > IBM
| > | > |
has
| > been
| > computer's
(all
| > CD-ROM
3
| > 1/2"
| > | > |
cabinet
| > to a
Pro
boot
which I
somehow
| > the
| > exited
powered
| > down
| > | > |
of
| > the
connector.
pressed
| > the
that
| > the
will
| > not
| > | > |
don't
| > know
that
| > | > |
| > figuring
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |

| > |
| > |

Anonymous
December 31, 2004 5:03:28 PM

Hello, again, Jim;

This problem just gets curioser and curioser. I have double-checked all
wiring connections to the motherboard; all are properly connected, including
the Power Switch connector and the ATX Power supply connection to the ASUS
P3V4X motherboard.

I took your suggestion on getting the RS Multimeter. However, the folks
there were not aware of the How to Use book that you mentioned. So, I
checked Google and found guidelines for testing the 300 watt ATX Power
Supply. With the AC power cord from the wall socket plugged into the ATX
Power Supply, I set the Multimeter to 15 volts DC (the lowest setting
available on this Multimeter. I then used the black probe to probe one of
the black wires in an unused power connector coming from the power supply.
I used the red probe to probe the yellow wire in the power connector. I got
no reading at all. I then used the red probe to probe the red wire socket
on the power connector. Again, I got no reading. Incidentally, I did
install a good AAA battery in the Multimeter before getting started.

According to the guidelines I found on the article, that meant that the
power supply was dead and needed replacement.

So, I replaced it with as 400 watt, unswitched power supply and made all of
the appropriate connections to the motherboard and floppy drive, hard drives
and CD-ROMs

However, the computer still wouldn't start. Absolutely nothing happens
when I press the power button. No beep, no fans whirring, no lights flash.
Nada!

So I used the Multimeter to probe the 400 watt power supply's power
connector's black, yellow, and red wires with the Multimeter set to 15 DCV.
However, the needle did not budge from zero. It produced no reading
whatsoever.

Though it may be the case, I find it hard to believe that both power
supply's are defective.

I shall very greatly appreciate ay further ideas as to what might be keeping
this computer from starting.
--
With kindest regards

Dick Smith

> [...]
> meter of any
> | kind.
> | --
> | With kindest regards,
> |
> | Dick Smith
> | SmithRMS@Comcast.net
> | "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote
> in message
> | news:o woY70v7EHA.3596@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> | > When you unplugged the power cord from the power supply,
> is
> | > it possible you tripped a circuit break, voltage switch
> or a
> | > fuse?
> | >
> | > Are you sure the wall socket is powered,too?
> | >
> | > If you have a multimeter, check the PSU voltages.
> | >

> | > --
> | > The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
> | > But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.

Anonymous
December 31, 2004 5:45:37 PM

You need to have a resistor/jumper to "turn the PSU ON"
before it will provide voltage to the system.

You do need to be sure that you're making metal to metal
commotions inside the connectors.

I will be busy with the New Year celebrations, so take your
time, read the instructions and be careful not to damage
your hardware or injure yourself.
I would suggest that you double check everything, from using
the meter on a 120 volt setting to check that the power cord
is making power avail;able to the PSU and then check on each
connector for rated voltage.

Just be careful.

> [...]
| > Don't change the subject line, put the questions and
answers
| > in the body, please.
| >
| > PSU do have internal circuit protection, if you're sure
the
| > wall outlet has power and nothing happens when you press
the
| > power switch, some failure, perhaps a fuse, broken wire
or
| > such is the likely problem.
| > Do any fans or lights work? Any beeps?
| >
| > You can buy a simple tester/meter for the power supply
for
| > $10-20, it might be a good investment and it can be used
| > check many other things too. Radio Shack has a nice
little
| > book on how to use a multimeter Google for "multimeter
book
| > radio shack" or "how to use a multimeter."

| > |
| > | I forgot to mention that I don't have a multimeter or
volt
| > meter of any
| > | kind.
| > | --
| > | With kindest regards,
| > |
| > | Dick Smith
| > | SmithRMS@Comcast.net
| > | "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
wrote
| > in message
| > | news:o woY70v7EHA.3596@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
supply,
| > is
switch
| > or a

rights;
overcome.

the
| > IBM
| > | > |
has
| > been
| > computer's
(all
| > CD-ROM
3
| > 1/2"
| > | > |
cabinet
| > to a
Pro
boot
which I
somehow
| > the
| > exited
powered
| > down
| > | > |
of
| > the
connector.
pressed
| > the
that
| > the
will
| > not
| > | > |
don't
| > know
that
| > | > |
| > figuring
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |

| > |
| > |

Anonymous
December 31, 2004 6:20:03 PM

Thanks, again, Jim! I greatly appreciate your help.

Where and how would I place a jumper to turn the PSU ON? The Power Switch?

I'll try the tests again and be sure to make metal-to-metal contact with the
Multimeter.

Are you suggesting that I probe the female socket on the power cord with the
Multimeter set on 120 volts DC while the power cord is plugged into the wall
socket?
The settings on the dial for this Multimeter are limited to 15 volts, 150
volts, and 500 volts. The same holds true for AC voltage settings on the
Multimeter dial.
--
With kindest regards

Dick Smith

> [...]
> | > Don't change the subject line, put the questions and
> answers
> | > in the body, please.
> | >
> | > PSU do have internal circuit protection, if you're sure
> the
> | > wall outlet has power and nothing happens when you press
> the
> | > power switch, some failure, perhaps a fuse, broken wire
> or
> | > such is the likely problem.
> | > Do any fans or lights work? Any beeps?
> | >
> | > You can buy a simple tester/meter for the power supply
> for
> | > $10-20, it might be a good investment and it can be used
> | > check many other things too. Radio Shack has a nice
> little
> | > book on how to use a multimeter Google for "multimeter
> book
> | > radio shack" or "how to use a multimeter."

Anonymous
December 31, 2004 6:50:12 PM

"AA Smith" <SmithRMS@Comcast.net> wrote in message
> Hello, again, Jim;
>
> This problem just gets curioser and curioser. I have double-checked
> all wiring connections to the motherboard; all are properly connected,
> including the Power Switch connector and the ATX Power supply
> connection to the ASUS P3V4X motherboard.
>
> I took your suggestion on getting the RS Multimeter. However, the
> folks there were not aware of the How to Use book that you mentioned.
> So, I checked Google and found guidelines for testing the 300 watt ATX
> Power Supply. With the AC power cord from the wall socket plugged
> into the ATX Power Supply, I set the Multimeter to 15 volts DC (the
> lowest setting available on this Multimeter. I then used the black
> probe to probe one of the black wires in an unused power connector
> coming from the power supply. I used the red probe to probe the yellow
> wire in the power connector. I got no reading at all. I then used
> the red probe to probe the red wire socket on the power connector.
> Again, I got no reading. Incidentally, I did install a good AAA
> battery in the Multimeter before getting started.

> According to the guidelines I found on the article, that meant that
> the power supply was dead and needed replacement.
>
> So, I replaced it with as 400 watt, unswitched power supply and made
> all of the appropriate connections to the motherboard and floppy
> drive, hard drives and CD-ROMs
>
> However, the computer still wouldn't start. Absolutely nothing
> happens when I press the power button. No beep, no fans whirring, no
> lights flash. Nada!
>
> So I used the Multimeter to probe the 400 watt power supply's power
> connector's black, yellow, and red wires with the Multimeter set to 15
> DCV. However, the needle did not budge from zero. It produced no
> reading whatsoever.
>
> Though it may be the case, I find it hard to believe that both power
> supply's are defective.

Me too, though it could be so. You did have the meter set to read DC
voltages, not AC or Resistance? I've done that more times than I would
care to admit.

Also, the little black switch on the back of the PSU, if it has one as
most new ones do, is ON not OFF I guess. I've done that too.

> I shall very greatly appreciate ay further ideas as to what might be
> keeping this computer from starting.
> --
> With kindest regards
>
> Dick Smith
>
> "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote in message
>> Don't change the subject line, put the questions and answers
>> in the body, please.
>>
>> PSU do have internal circuit protection, if you're sure the
>> wall outlet has power and nothing happens when you press the
>> power switch, some failure, perhaps a fuse, broken wire or
>> such is the likely problem.
>> Do any fans or lights work? Any beeps?
>>
>> You can buy a simple tester/meter for the power supply for
>> $10-20, it might be a good investment and it can be used to
>> check many other things too. Radio Shack has a nice little
>> book on how to use a multimeter Google for "multimeter book
>> radio shack" or "how to use a multimeter."
>>

>> "AA Smith" <SmithRMS@Comcast.net> wrote in message
>> | Hello, again, Jim;
>> |
>> | I forgot to mention that I don't have a multimeter or volt
>> meter of any
>> | kind.
>> | --
>> | With kindest regards,
>> |
>> | Dick Smith
>> | SmithRMS@Comcast.net
>> | "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote
>> in message
>> | news:o woY70v7EHA.3596@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> is
>> or a

>> IBM
>> | > |
>> been
>> computer's
>> CD-ROM
>> 1/2"
>> | > |
>> to a
>> the
>> exited
>> down
>> | > |
>> the
>> the
>> the
>> not
>> | > |
>> know
>> | > |
>> figuring
>> | > |
>> | > |
>> | > |

Anonymous
December 31, 2004 6:50:13 PM

Hi, Jack! Thanks for your interest.

Yes I did have the Multimeter set to 15 volts DC (DCV). My 300 watt power
supply has a switch on the back with off & on symbols O and I. I can never
remember which is off and which is on, so I tried it on both settings. The
400 watt PSU does not have a switch on the back other than the one that
selects voltage, which is set to 115.
This really is strange.
--
With kindest regards

Dick Smith
"Jack Gillis" <XXXXXXXX@widomaker.com> wrote in message

> [...]
>> keeping this computer from starting.
>> --
>> With kindest regards
>>
>> Dick Smith
>>
>> "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote in message
>>> Don't change the subject line, put the questions and answers
>>> in the body, please.
>>>
>>> PSU do have internal circuit protection, if you're sure the
>>> wall outlet has power and nothing happens when you press the
>>> power switch, some failure, perhaps a fuse, broken wire or
>>> such is the likely problem.
>>> Do any fans or lights work? Any beeps?
>>>
>>> You can buy a simple tester/meter for the power supply for
>>> $10-20, it might be a good investment and it can be used to
>>> check many other things too. Radio Shack has a nice little
>>> book on how to use a multimeter Google for "multimeter book
>>> radio shack" or "how to use a multimeter."

January 1, 2005 6:10:05 AM

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 23:44:36 -0600, "AA Smith" <SmithRMS@Comcast.net>
wrote:

>I have built and upgraded quite a number of PCs in the IBM ATX
>architecture.
>
>Today, I moved the internals of a computer that has been successfully
>running Windows XP Pro for 2-1/2 years. That computer's internals include
>an ASUS P3V4X Motherboard, 3 ATA-100 hard drives (all controlled by an
>ATA/100 Promise PCI controller,) a CD-RW drive, 3 CD-ROM drives, a 3COM NIC,
>a SoundBlaster PCI card, an AGP video card, and a 3 1/2" floppy drive.
>
>After transferring all internals from my old cabinet to a new one, I powered
>the computer up. It booted and started WindowsXP Pro successfully, though
>prior to starting Windows XP Pro, the motherboard boot process indicated
>that a problem existed with the floppy drive, which I bypassed by pressing
>F1. The problem was easy enough to diagnose; somehow the power cable for
>the floppy disk drive had come loose from its connector/socket. After WinXP
>Pro finished its startup process successfully, I exited Windows by selecting
>Start | Power Off | Power Off. The computer powered down normally.
>
>After disconnecting the power cord from the back of the computer, I replaced
>the power cable on the floppy drive's power connector. Then, I plugged the
>power cord into the back of the computer and pressed the Power button.
>However, nothing happened. I checked to be sure that the small wire from
>the Power button was still plugged into the proper location on the
>motherboard. It was. Nevertheless, the computer will not boot up.

Try unplugging the power cable to the floppy power connector, and see
if the computer goes on.

>For the moment, I'm not sure what's wrong. I don't know if the 300 Watt
>power supply just happened to become defective at that time, or if something
>is wrong with the motherboard.
>
>So, I shall greatly appreciate your kind help in figuring out what's wrong.
January 1, 2005 8:02:18 AM

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 14:03:28 -0600, "AA Smith" <SmithRMS@Comcast.net>
wrote:

>Hello, again, Jim;
>
>This problem just gets curioser and curioser. I have double-checked all
>wiring connections to the motherboard; all are properly connected, including
>the Power Switch connector and the ATX Power supply connection to the ASUS
>P3V4X motherboard.
>
>I took your suggestion on getting the RS Multimeter. However, the folks
>there were not aware of the How to Use book that you mentioned. So, I
>checked Google and found guidelines for testing the 300 watt ATX Power
>Supply. With the AC power cord from the wall socket plugged into the ATX
>Power Supply, I set the Multimeter to 15 volts DC (the lowest setting
>available on this Multimeter. I then used the black probe to probe one of
>the black wires in an unused power connector coming from the power supply.
>I used the red probe to probe the yellow wire in the power connector. I got
>no reading at all. I then used the red probe to probe the red wire socket
>on the power connector. Again, I got no reading. Incidentally, I did
>install a good AAA battery in the Multimeter before getting started.
>
>According to the guidelines I found on the article, that meant that the
>power supply was dead and needed replacement.
>
>So, I replaced it with as 400 watt, unswitched power supply and made all of
>the appropriate connections to the motherboard and floppy drive, hard drives
>and CD-ROMs
>
>However, the computer still wouldn't start. Absolutely nothing happens
>when I press the power button. No beep, no fans whirring, no lights flash.
>Nada!
>
>So I used the Multimeter to probe the 400 watt power supply's power
>connector's black, yellow, and red wires with the Multimeter set to 15 DCV.
>However, the needle did not budge from zero. It produced no reading
>whatsoever.
>
>Though it may be the case, I find it hard to believe that both power
>supply's are defective.
>
>I shall very greatly appreciate ay further ideas as to what might be keeping
>this computer from starting.

The first thing you should check is the standby voltage, 5Vsb. Without
it, the motherboard won't be able to turn on the power supply. If it's
+5 volts, which I'm guessing it is, then check power supply on, PS-On,
while you depress the case power button. PS-On should have positive
voltage (2 - 5 volts) when the computer is off, and be at ground (less
than 0.8 volts) when the case power button is depressed and when the
computer is running. If PS-On goes to ground when the case power
button is depressed, but the power supply does not run, then one or
more of the power supply outputs is probably shorted to ground.
January 1, 2005 10:55:47 AM

Check the motherboard mountings to the chassis don't include any 'spare'
supporters. These spare standoffs must be removed if they are the bare metal
types, since only one can short out a track on the motherboard, and the PC
will behave exactly as you describe, nothing happens.

"AA Smith" <SmithRMS@Comcast.net> wrote in message
>I have built and upgraded quite a number of PCs in the IBM ATX
>architecture.
>
> Today, I moved the internals of a computer that has been successfully
> running Windows XP Pro for 2-1/2 years. That computer's internals include
> an ASUS P3V4X Motherboard, 3 ATA-100 hard drives (all controlled by an
> ATA/100 Promise PCI controller,) a CD-RW drive, 3 CD-ROM drives, a 3COM
> NIC, a SoundBlaster PCI card, an AGP video card, and a 3 1/2" floppy
> drive.
>
> After transferring all internals from my old cabinet to a new one, I
> powered the computer up. It booted and started WindowsXP Pro
> successfully, though prior to starting Windows XP Pro, the motherboard
> boot process indicated that a problem existed with the floppy drive, which
> I bypassed by pressing F1. The problem was easy enough to diagnose;
> somehow the power cable for the floppy disk drive had come loose from its
> connector/socket. After WinXP Pro finished its startup process
> successfully, I exited Windows by selecting Start | Power Off | Power
> Off. The computer powered down normally.
>
> After disconnecting the power cord from the back of the computer, I
> replaced the power cable on the floppy drive's power connector. Then, I
> plugged the power cord into the back of the computer and pressed the Power
> button. However, nothing happened. I checked to be sure that the small
> wire from the Power button was still plugged into the proper location on
> the motherboard. It was. Nevertheless, the computer will not boot up.
>
> For the moment, I'm not sure what's wrong. I don't know if the 300 Watt
> power supply just happened to become defective at that time, or if
> something is wrong with the motherboard.
>
> So, I shall greatly appreciate your kind help in figuring out what's
> wrong.
> --
> With kindest regards,
>
> Dick Smith
> SmithRMS@Comcast.net

Anonymous
January 1, 2005 7:48:16 PM

Hi, Gary! Happy New Year!

Sorry I haven't gotten back to you folks sooner. Last night was quite a
to-do here and I'm just getting going today.

The problem is solved thanks to the generous help of those in this newsgroup
that have taken an interest. I wound up removing the power supply to one
component at a time, starting with the floppy, and checking to see if the
PSU would start the computer after each removal. After everything was
removed and still no perceptible juice came forth from the PSU, I removed
the motherboard to check its mountings as you had suggested. I then found a
screw laying under the mobo in such a way that it had to press against the
mobo when it was mounted. Oddly enough, I couldn't visually detect any
damage to the mobo. So, I removed the screw, remounted the mobo and hooked
everything back up. When I pressed the Power button, the computer started
and seems to run ok. So, I guess the screw did no permanent damage.

Thanks again for your kind and generous help. I sincerely appreciate it.
--
With kindest regards

Dick Smith

"Gary" <cc@dd.com> wrote in message
> Check the motherboard mountings to the chassis don't include any 'spare'
> supporters. These spare standoffs must be removed if they are the bare
> metal types, since only one can short out a track on the motherboard, and
> the PC will behave exactly as you describe, nothing happens.
>
> "AA Smith" <SmithRMS@Comcast.net> wrote in message
>>I have built and upgraded quite a number of PCs in the IBM ATX
>>architecture.
>>
>> Today, I moved the internals of a computer that has been successfully
>> running Windows XP Pro for 2-1/2 years. That computer's internals
>> include an ASUS P3V4X Motherboard, 3 ATA-100 hard drives (all controlled
>> by an ATA/100 Promise PCI controller,) a CD-RW drive, 3 CD-ROM drives, a
>> 3COM NIC, a SoundBlaster PCI card, an AGP video card, and a 3 1/2"
>> floppy drive.
>>
>> After transferring all internals from my old cabinet to a new one, I
>> powered the computer up. It booted and started WindowsXP Pro
>> successfully, though prior to starting Windows XP Pro, the motherboard
>> boot process indicated that a problem existed with the floppy drive,
>> which I bypassed by pressing F1. The problem was easy enough to
>> diagnose; somehow the power cable for the floppy disk drive had come
>> loose from its connector/socket. After WinXP Pro finished its startup
>> process successfully, I exited Windows by selecting Start | Power Off |
>> Power Off. The computer powered down normally.
>>
>> After disconnecting the power cord from the back of the computer, I
>> replaced the power cable on the floppy drive's power connector. Then, I
>> plugged the power cord into the back of the computer and pressed the
>> Power button. However, nothing happened. I checked to be sure that the
>> small wire from the Power button was still plugged into the proper
>> location on the motherboard. It was. Nevertheless, the computer will
>> not boot up.
>>
>> For the moment, I'm not sure what's wrong. I don't know if the 300 Watt
>> power supply just happened to become defective at that time, or if
>> something is wrong with the motherboard.
>>
>> So, I shall greatly appreciate your kind help in figuring out what's
>> wrong.
>> --
>> With kindest regards,
>>
>> Dick Smith