Nvidia Pushes Kepler for Cloud Gaming With GeForce Grid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Youngmind

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011
Hopefully, this will help to drive videogame development and bring the focus back to the PC because it'll help to attract some of the mainstream gamers because of its cheapness. Then, because of that focus on the PC games and their graphics, should help to fuel video card innovation.

alxianthelast

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
I think an important question is HOW this could impact actual nexgen console experiences, including MMOs, IF servers are supported by 3rd parties to begin with.

An argument could be made for encouraging Microsoft to invest in a cloud gaming service for their next evolution of Xbox and Xbox Live. If it means justifying $15 a month or more for an Xbox Live subscription.. AND for developers that their games can't be pirated AND they can push updates whenever they wanted..

Asking if someone wants an overkill $1000 toaster to get that much more performance from a directx 9.0c game because Devs 'can't afford PC game development, and whatever more the computer will cost to run, versus Xbox 3, Xbox LIVE, and games powered by a cloud service.. the console seems much more appealing especially if you can pay to scale up your games performance.. or split it into even more processes running on each GPU when you're idling in a lobby or not doing anything not very intensive.

cumi2k4

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011
with the bandwidth throttling trend nowadays...not only you will not be able to browse comfortably, watch streaming movie, now you can't even play your game? great move to push people to go back reading books again.....

IndignantSkeptic

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
I think I will get a cloud server supercomputer in my house to play games directly on. Sure all my bills would be huge but I'll be making a profit because when I'm not playing games on it then it can automatically rent itself out to other users over the internet to use for their computationally intensive work or whatever.

Plasmid

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
[citation][nom]crapfacednoob[/nom]So we are paying more for 100+ ping in just our local network.....[/citation]

I don't know how this will be a pleasant gaming experience with such ping. For me 150 ping is pretty mediocre despite their praise.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
network ping is not a fixed factor, also, faster hardware does not improve ping times. Furthermore, ping times increase as the network becomes more saturated.

then you run into issues of shared internet connections which is very popular today

overall, most of their response time claims are based on assuming a fixed nature of factors that are historically random and heavily influenced by the actions of your neighbors, distance from the server, and random issues or bandwidth management on the ISP's backbone

based on their claims, just having your ping go over 30ms, sends you over their proposed delays offered by current gen consoles (which seem a bit exaggerated (most likely a word case scenario since a 166ms delay is very noticable

anything above 20ms is very noticeable, ant 166ms for you to see a response to user input will be felt as extreme sluggishness

(you ever run a game that your system cant handle properly and the mouse cursor feels very sluggish but is still able to move smoothly (that sluggish feeling comes from the a noticeable delay in how it responds to your movement. When using the mouse, you are constantly adjusting your movement speed and direction and getting something like even a 50ms delay would cause a sense of sluggishness as you will constantly adjust your movements either too late or too soon

When you game your PC or console and it is running very smoothly, those delays are most likely well under 20ms

(PS understand that human reaction time is different from the amount if time delta needed for detecting a delay)

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Big "console lag" is BS.
TVs (many of them) do typically add 40-80ms of lag due to post processing, but only if you use HDMI input.

arlandi

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2007
good idea!
i can see this catching on very quick!
internet connections in every part of the world are very fast and there are no bandwidth cap.
great! sign me up!

EDVINASM

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
I like the idea though if masses move to this there will be fek all on the market to buy for those who don't want to game this way. Also, to those who have crappy internet (i.e. me where ping is 50ms to my next door neighbour) this is not an option. Am a bit scared where this 'cloud' is taking us. Though this is kind of future..

goodguy713

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
it will fail .. to much network interferance .. at least here in my state.. US is actually behind significantly compaired to other countries .. internet costs for 24Mbit is around 60 a month plus you have to buy the modem.. comcast is about the same I got a 1 year deal were i pay 39.99 a month for 18Mbit service .. im just saying and i wont play on any server with a ping higher than 60 i just wont do it.. typically i look for 20, to 30 which usually means chicago or cininatti texas usually pings around 50 ... just saying i couldnt imagine adding another 30 to 60 to that ping it just wouldnt be worth it to me .. especially for something like battle field 3... and fyi theres still people who use dial up.. because they cant get access and typical dsl here is only good for 3-6Mbit and most only have 12Mbit.. just saying .. its the most common

unionoob

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2011
Well, this sounds good to keep Consoles up to date for all time, but then again, I don't think such console is going to cost only ~250$ + I am sure monthly fee will be higher then 15$, and at same time considering what connection speed most people have it just won't work, we can look at Onlive, how well it works.

-Sorry about my English -.-

PsiCoRe

Distinguished
May 18, 2009
One thing I don't see coming up is the bandwidth consumption per stream as this also affects power consumption at the end of the day since ISP's may need to upgrade their network to deal with the increased volumes from these servers and taking into account that it's going to be literally millions of users. There isn't just a cable between you and the server - There's DSLAMs, fibre nodes, wireless towers all requiring servers and routers to get your traffic to their servers and they use a LOT of power. For best latency these GRID servers will have to be widely distributed across the globe. I'm not saying nay to this technology but if you look at the big picture is this really being more power efficient than a home PC/console?

Status
Not open for further replies.