Mainboard or Video Problem?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.asus (More info?)

Please help me to troubleshoot my video or mainboard problem.
The monitor screen in sequence from starting boot to win98SE desktop.

1. Bootup, 256 color screen, bright vertical lines, difficult to read "Award
Modular Bios........"
2. "Verifying DMI Pool Data... "(DOS, monitor screen, OK).
3. MS Splash Screen, vertical black-dot-dash-dot lines across monitor screen (in
256 colors).
4. Win98SE desktop... (in 1024X768 Hi resolution color, OK).

I believe 256 color screens, there is something wrong. When I reinstall OS,
Win98SE I could not see the monitor screen clearly in 256 colors. It's fuzzy
whenever I move the mouse's pointer.

Should I replace the mainboard or the video board?

Thank everyone in advance.

Mainboard - Gigabyte 7VT600-RZ (8 mths)
Video Board - ATI AIW-8500 DV Edition. (3 yrs)
OS - Win98SE

Ian

Dave Smith wrote:
> Please help me to troubleshoot my video or mainboard problem.
> The monitor screen in sequence from starting boot to win98SE desktop.
>
> 1. Bootup, 256 color screen, bright vertical lines, difficult to read
> "Award Modular Bios........"
> 2. "Verifying DMI Pool Data... "(DOS, monitor screen, OK).
> 3. MS Splash Screen, vertical black-dot-dash-dot lines across monitor
> screen (in 256 colors).
> 4. Win98SE desktop... (in 1024X768 Hi resolution color, OK).
>
> I believe 256 color screens, there is something wrong. When I
> reinstall OS, Win98SE I could not see the monitor screen clearly in
> 256 colors. It's fuzzy whenever I move the mouse's pointer.
>
> Should I replace the mainboard or the video board?
>
> Thank everyone in advance.
>
> Mainboard - Gigabyte 7VT600-RZ (8 mths)
> Video Board - ATI AIW-8500 DV Edition. (3 yrs)
> OS - Win98SE

Since you get his problem in and out of Windows either video card or
monitor. More likely monitor actually. Can you test with another?

Is your monitor analogue or digital? This problem does not sound like a CRT
display fault. If you have a good 'ole CRT chances are it's the video board.
See if you can change it out for another board.

"Dave Smith" <daves@smithville.com> wrote in message

> Please help me to troubleshoot my video or mainboard problem.
> The monitor screen in sequence from starting boot to win98SE desktop.
>
> 1. Bootup, 256 color screen, bright vertical lines, difficult to read
> "Award
> Modular Bios........"
> 2. "Verifying DMI Pool Data... "(DOS, monitor screen, OK).
> 3. MS Splash Screen, vertical black-dot-dash-dot lines across monitor
> screen (in
> 256 colors).
> 4. Win98SE desktop... (in 1024X768 Hi resolution color, OK).
>
> I believe 256 color screens, there is something wrong. When I reinstall
> OS,
> Win98SE I could not see the monitor screen clearly in 256 colors. It's
> fuzzy
> whenever I move the mouse's pointer.
>
> Should I replace the mainboard or the video board?
>
> Thank everyone in advance.
>
> Mainboard - Gigabyte 7VT600-RZ (8 mths)
> Video Board - ATI AIW-8500 DV Edition. (3 yrs)
> OS - Win98SE

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 00:48:13 +0100, "Adrian Stuart"
<Adrian.stuart@nospamthanks.com> wrote:

>Is your monitor analogue or digital? This problem does not sound like a CRT
>display fault. If you have a good 'ole CRT chances are it's the video board.
>See if you can change it out for another board.

I am using an analogue monitor. I will swap monitor and test it tonight.
The problem occurs only in low resolution 256 color mode and not hi resolution.
This mobo is less than a yr-old, my last Gigabyte mobo failed after two years.
Which boards (ATI or Gigabyte) control the low resolution?

Thanks

> On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 00:48:13 +0100, "Adrian Stuart"
> <Adrian.stuart@nospamthanks.com> wrote:
>
>>Is your monitor analogue or digital? This problem does not sound like a
>>CRT
>>display fault. If you have a good 'ole CRT chances are it's the video
>>board.
>>See if you can change it out for another board.
>
> I am using an analogue monitor. I will swap monitor and test it tonight.
> The problem occurs only in low resolution 256 color mode and not hi
> resolution.
> This mobo is less than a yr-old, my last Gigabyte mobo failed after two
> years.
> Which boards (ATI or Gigabyte) control the low resolution?

Chances are it's the ATI graphics card. I had a similar fault when some
video memory failed. If you can, I would swap this before anything else.

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 19:48:35 +0100, "Adrian Stuart"
<Adrian.stuart@nospamthanks.com> wrote:

I had swapped monitor and I still get vertical lines in 256 color mode. I don't
have a spare or unused graphic card to test. The problem is either the or
mainboard. Can some please help?

BTW what is the warranty for Gigabyte mobo?

Thanks