GA-81915P Duo (Pro) - IDE2 CD-ROM Not showing up?

GA-81915P Duo (Pro)
How do I set the bios settings to find my two IDE Hard Drives and one CD-ROM
Drive

My Hard Drives jumper settings are set to Master and Slave on IDE1 Connector
My CD-ROM Drive is set to Master on IDE2 Connector

When both are plugged in, I only see what is on IDE1 only?

I've swapped over the IDE1 and IDE2 ribbon cables (supplied) and it will
boot on IDE1 only and not recognise what is on IDE2. i.e. it will boot from
CD-ROM on IDE1 and not see the Hard Drives on IDE2 or it will boot from the
Hard Drive on IDE1 and not see the CD-ROM on IDE2

I've set boot sequence to FDD - CDROM - HDD but this still doesn't help. It
just can't see IDE2

Is it perhaps a bios setting I don't understand that somebody could help me
with?
11 answers Last reply
More about 81915p ide2 showing

    Been looking around and apparently this is a common problem that a lot of
    people have been having:
    http://www.techsupportforum.com/computer/topic/40632-1.html <--see
    Short answer... CD-ROM has to be master on IDE1 and C: Drive has to be Slave
    on IDE1.. no apparent solution to accessing other ATA on IDE2. Bios is an
    abyss of settings people have never seen before. If anyone can suggest how
    to access other ATA HDDs on IDE2 I would love to know as would many others.
    TIA

    Andy wrote:
    > GA-81915P Duo (Pro)
    > How do I set the bios settings to find my two IDE Hard Drives and one
    > CD-ROM Drive
    >
    > My Hard Drives jumper settings are set to Master and Slave on IDE1
    > Connector My CD-ROM Drive is set to Master on IDE2 Connector
    >
    > When both are plugged in, I only see what is on IDE1 only?
    >
    > I've swapped over the IDE1 and IDE2 ribbon cables (supplied) and it
    > will boot on IDE1 only and not recognise what is on IDE2. i.e. it
    > will boot from CD-ROM on IDE1 and not see the Hard Drives on IDE2 or
    > it will boot from the Hard Drive on IDE1 and not see the CD-ROM on
    > IDE2
    >
    > I've set boot sequence to FDD - CDROM - HDD but this still doesn't
    > help. It just can't see IDE2
    >
    > Is it perhaps a bios setting I don't understand that somebody could
    > help me with?

    Although I always cry "hardware fault" only as a last resort (I usually
    believe something must be set wrong!) I gotta admit I'm leaning towards your
    IDE2 connector being screwed. Having said that, there IS a BIOS setting to
    enable each IDE channel, which is the only possibility that occurs to me. I
    am not familiar with your board, but this is usually a hidden setting that
    you access by pressing ctrl-f1 at the BIOS setup screen. Does the POST
    screen when you boot show it searching on Secondary IDE or does it skip that
    altogether? If it skips, that also suggests my BIOS tip may be your answer.

    This subject has been covered in some depth many times.
    Do a google & set it to search "groups" to find old threads about it.
    To be VERY brief.............
    Technically there is NO IDE 2 or 3.
    It supports only one TRUE IDE channel.
    Put your optical drives on the IDE 1.
    Put your IDE HD's on IDE2 or 3.
    Install your Raid drivers.
    Setup a raid (which will be on IDE2 & IDE3) & if you don't want a "raid"
    then just set to "JBOD" in the raid setup.(just a bunch of ordinary disks).
    Set to boot from SCSI. (don't ask?)(bios setup)
    Set your HD boot order. (bios setup)
    If you think it's going to be easy then forget it & go buy an old socket 370
    board......... lol
    If you want three or more optical drives like internal zip100 etc then I
    suggest you get one of those PCI ide Raid boards?
    Hope that helps a bit?

    "Andy" <notre@l.addy> wrote in message
    > GA-81915P Duo (Pro)
    > How do I set the bios settings to find my two IDE Hard Drives and one
    CD-ROM
    > Drive
    >
    > My Hard Drives jumper settings are set to Master and Slave on IDE1
    Connector
    > My CD-ROM Drive is set to Master on IDE2 Connector
    >
    > When both are plugged in, I only see what is on IDE1 only?
    >
    > I've swapped over the IDE1 and IDE2 ribbon cables (supplied) and it will
    > boot on IDE1 only and not recognise what is on IDE2. i.e. it will boot
    from
    > CD-ROM on IDE1 and not see the Hard Drives on IDE2 or it will boot from
    the
    > Hard Drive on IDE1 and not see the CD-ROM on IDE2
    >
    > I've set boot sequence to FDD - CDROM - HDD but this still doesn't help.
    It
    > just can't see IDE2
    >
    > Is it perhaps a bios setting I don't understand that somebody could help
    me
    > with?

  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    BruceM wrote:
    > This subject has been covered in some depth many times.
    > Do a google & set it to search "groups" to find old threads about it.
    > To be VERY brief.............
    > Technically there is NO IDE 2 or 3.
    > It supports only one TRUE IDE channel.
    > Put your optical drives on the IDE 1.
    > Put your IDE HD's on IDE2 or 3.
    > Install your Raid drivers.
    > Setup a raid (which will be on IDE2 & IDE3) & if you don't want a
    > "raid" then just set to "JBOD" in the raid setup.(just a bunch of
    > ordinary disks). Set to boot from SCSI. (don't ask?)(bios setup)
    > Set your HD boot order. (bios setup)
    > If you think it's going to be easy then forget it & go buy an old
    > socket 370 board......... lol
    > If you want three or more optical drives like internal zip100 etc
    > then I suggest you get one of those PCI ide Raid boards?
    > Hope that helps a bit?

    Bruce, you seem pretty certain about all that, so I won't argue! I based my
    answer on experience of other Gigabyte boards which featured IDE channels 1
    and 2 on a standard IDE controller and then a RAID controller which can
    operate optionally as an IDE controller, offering IDE channels 3 & 4. I
    respect your knowledge of the 81915 is greater than mine - i have never seen
    one! Best Wishes.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    http://groups.google.com.au/groups?q=author:BruceM&start=70&hl=en&lr=&selm=4
    223ec3f%241%40duster.adelaide.on.net&rnum=79
    Watch the wrap?

    "Ian" <ian@iano.net> wrote in message

    > Andy wrote:
    > > GA-81915P Duo (Pro)
    > > How do I set the bios settings to find my two IDE Hard Drives and one
    > > CD-ROM Drive
    > >
    > > My Hard Drives jumper settings are set to Master and Slave on IDE1
    > > Connector My CD-ROM Drive is set to Master on IDE2 Connector
    > >
    > > When both are plugged in, I only see what is on IDE1 only?
    > >
    > > I've swapped over the IDE1 and IDE2 ribbon cables (supplied) and it
    > > will boot on IDE1 only and not recognise what is on IDE2. i.e. it
    > > will boot from CD-ROM on IDE1 and not see the Hard Drives on IDE2 or
    > > it will boot from the Hard Drive on IDE1 and not see the CD-ROM on
    > > IDE2
    > >
    > > I've set boot sequence to FDD - CDROM - HDD but this still doesn't
    > > help. It just can't see IDE2
    > >
    > > Is it perhaps a bios setting I don't understand that somebody could
    > > help me with?
    >
    > Although I always cry "hardware fault" only as a last resort (I usually
    > believe something must be set wrong!) I gotta admit I'm leaning towards
    your
    > IDE2 connector being screwed. Having said that, there IS a BIOS setting
    > enable each IDE channel, which is the only possibility that occurs to me.
    > am not familiar with your board, but this is usually a hidden setting that
    > you access by pressing ctrl-f1 at the BIOS setup screen. Does the POST
    > screen when you boot show it searching on Secondary IDE or does it skip
    that
    > altogether? If it skips, that also suggests my BIOS tip may be your
    answer.

  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    "Ian" wrote:
    > BruceM wrote:
    > > This subject has been covered in some depth many times.
    > > Do a google & set it to search "groups" to find old threads
    > about it.
    > > To be VERY brief.............
    > > Technically there is NO IDE 2 or 3.
    > > It supports only one TRUE IDE channel.
    > > Put your optical drives on the IDE 1.
    > > Put your IDE HD's on IDE2 or 3.
    > > Install your Raid drivers.
    > > Setup a raid (which will be on IDE2 & IDE3) & if you don't
    > want a
    > > "raid" then just set to "JBOD" in the raid setup.(just a
    > bunch of
    > > ordinary disks). Set to boot from SCSI. (don't ask?)(bios
    > setup)
    > > Set your HD boot order. (bios setup)
    > > If you think it's going to be easy then forget it & go buy
    > an old
    > > socket 370 board......... lol
    > > If you want three or more optical drives like internal
    > zip100 etc
    > > then I suggest you get one of those PCI ide Raid boards?
    > > Hope that helps a bit?
    > >

    > Bruce, you seem pretty certain about all that, so I won't
    > argue! I based my
    > answer on experience of other Gigabyte boards which featured
    > IDE channels 1
    > and 2 on a standard IDE controller and then a RAID controller
    > which can
    > operate optionally as an IDE controller, offering IDE channels
    > 3 & 4. I
    > respect your knowledge of the 81915 is greater than mine - i
    > have never seen
    > one! Best Wishes.

    Hi Andy,

    I’m keen to know if you tried Bruce’s suggestions and whether they
    worked OK or not. If it DID work, I’d like to try it but I’d need a
    lot more procedural detail as I have a limited amount of experience
    with computers.

    Thanx!

    Poisson.

    PS Has anyone tried writing to and received a reply from Gigabyte
    themselves?

    Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Gigabyte-GA-81915P-Duo-Pro-IDE2-CD-ROM-showing-ftopict51526.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=257260
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    I have/had the same situation so I followed the instructions I gained
    from this forum. I set my optical drive as master and a hdd as slave
    until I could decide what exactly I wanted to do , what my options
    really were and there were some I could explore but one I did'nt want
    was to set up a Raid so that was at the very bottom of the list .
    What I did was this- I got hold of a "sata to ide adapter"
    which allowed me to connect a ide hdd (or optical drive ) to the sata
    0 connection on the mobo . I then checked bios to make any necessary
    changes-rebooted and whallah the hdd was there as a sata connection .
    Yippeee! Hooray !
    I then connected 2 optical drives to ide 1 and had my hdd as a
    sata setup - yippeee! yay & hurrah for that option .
    That's another thing you could do - buy yourself a sata hdd.
    The other thing I did was use a software utility( that came as
    part or the package)that allowed me to upgrade my bios. The package
    came with a bios with version no. f5 and so when I activated the
    utility it downloaded for me version f6 . I installed this - rebooted
    went into bios and I found a nice surprise . There it was under
    INTERGRATED PERIPHERALS - "ON CHIP SECONDARY PCI IDE [ ENABLED]"
    size=24]HOORAY
    Because my setup exists with the sata to ide adapter I have
    at this time not explored wether I am able to set up drives in to the
    secondary pci ide channel without too many dramas but I'm betting
    that I can .
    I hope these pointers and tips may've helped some of you out
    there .
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    "Ian" wrote:
    > BruceM wrote:
    > > This subject has been covered in some depth many times.
    > > Do a google & set it to search "groups" to find old threads
    > about it.
    > > To be VERY brief.............
    > > Technically there is NO IDE 2 or 3.
    > > It supports only one TRUE IDE channel.
    > > Put your optical drives on the IDE 1.
    > > Put your IDE HD's on IDE2 or 3.
    > > Install your Raid drivers.
    > > Setup a raid (which will be on IDE2 & IDE3) & if you don't
    > want a
    > > "raid" then just set to "JBOD" in the raid setup.(just a
    > bunch of
    > > ordinary disks). Set to boot from SCSI. (don't ask?)(bios
    > setup)
    > > Set your HD boot order. (bios setup)
    > > If you think it's going to be easy then forget it & go buy
    > an old
    > > socket 370 board......... lol
    > > If you want three or more optical drives like internal
    > zip100 etc
    > > then I suggest you get one of those PCI ide Raid boards?
    > > Hope that helps a bit?
    > >

    > Bruce, you seem pretty certain about all that, so I won't
    > argue! I based my
    > answer on experience of other Gigabyte boards which featured
    > IDE channels 1
    > and 2 on a standard IDE controller and then a RAID controller
    > which can
    > operate optionally as an IDE controller, offering IDE channels
    > 3 & 4. I
    > respect your knowledge of the 81915 is greater than mine - i
    > have never seen
    > one! Best Wishes.

    In regards to IDE 2 & 3 here is what you do:
    When installing Win 2000 or Win Xp press F6 to "Install third party
    drivers" in the setup process. Now, where are these drivers? On the
    Gigabyte cd that came with the board or go to their web site. The
    EXACT ones you want are "IAA RAID" drivers. On the CD they are in
    the BOOTDRV folder. There is a file in there called "Menu.exe".
    Click on it and a dos window will appear. Select the letter of the
    driver you want. It will copy them to the disk. Now....connect ONLY a
    CD Rom drive and a HDD to IDE 1 ONLY. This is what you HAVE TO DO in
    setup. I have done this and it works !!! MOST important. Durring setup
    F6 to setup those raid drivers (even though I’m not running a Raid
    Array) and then when you reboot after Windows setup IDE 2 & 3 will
    "appear". I now have my secondary HDD on IDE 2. I have gone through
    hell to figure this out, but, guys like you in a comp forum told me
    this so I pass on this vital "setup" info. Best of luck my friends !

    Warren (Houston, Texas...USA)

    Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Gigabyte-GA-81915P-Duo-Pro-IDE2-CD-ROM-showing-ftopict51526.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=290344
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    "Zibig" wrote:
    > In regards to IDE 2 & 3 here is what you do:
    > When installing Win 2000 or Win Xp press F6 to "Install third
    > party drivers" in the setup process. Now, where are these
    > drivers? On the Gigabyte cd that came with the board or go to
    > their web site. The EXACT ones you want are "IAA RAID"
    > drivers. On the CD they are in the BOOTDRV folder. There is a
    > file in there called "Menu.exe". Click on it and a dos window
    > will appear. Select the letter of the driver you want. It will
    > copy them to the disk. Now....connect ONLY a CD Rom drive and
    > a HDD to IDE 1 ONLY. This is what you HAVE TO DO in setup. I
    > have done this and it works !!! MOST important. Durring setup
    > F6 to setup those raid drivers (even though I'm not running a
    > Raid Array) and then when you reboot after Windows setup IDE 2
    > & 3 will "appear". I now have my secondary HDD on IDE 2. I
    > have gone through hell to figure this out, but, guys like you
    > in a comp forum told me this so I pass on this vital "setup"
    > info. Best of luck my friends !
    > Warren (Houston, Texas...USA)

    One thing I forgot to say in direct regards to your question ! If you
    read the MOBO manual they state this ! Optical drives will ONLY work
    on IDE 1. I’m not kidding...really it’s’ on page 21. Very suttle and
    effed up way they say this. So the skinny is and I don’t know why,
    but, in the end you can only have optical drives on IDE 1.
    Warren
  10. OK, after struggling with this problem myself on the GA-8I945P Pro I was able to figure out the solution. You do not need to install special RAID drivers with the XP install as mentioned above (unless you're installing your OS on a drive hooked up to IDE2 or IDE3 - Get at least one SATA drive to install your OS for God's sake - especially if you're running this board, why waste the speed), you just need to set up the RAID in the right way in the BIOS. Here's what I did that worked:

    Under the Integrated Peripherals Menu:

    1. Make sure On-Chip Primary/Secondary PCI IDE are set to enabled
    2. Enable Onboard H/W GigaRAID
    3. Change the GigaRAID Function from the default "RAID" to read "ATA"

    This will use the Integrated RAID function of the motherboard to sense any ATA drives on IDE2 and IDE3. It still won't sense non-ATA drives, so use IDE1 for your optical drives.

    Also of note, it does this process in a RAID bios after the initial system bios so don't get freaked out if it doesn't show up in your CMOS or the power on screen, just wait a few seconds.

    However, the best way to alleviate this problem is to run SATA drives (which are much nicer anyway). Though you've got to know how to update the bios for too many of those too.

    ---Colin
  11. Seacolin is spot on, Ive had the same problem, only other way around it has already been mentiond. Use a SATA to PATA converter.
    Done it both ways, Works fine :D

Gigabyte Boot CD-Rom Hard Drives Motherboards