Installing two hard drives with Windows XP on one computer.

I have an old Gateway computer that no longer works. I wanted to take the
hard drive out of the old computer and install it in my new computer so I can
get all my important documents. Can I install this in my new computer which
currently has XP on the exisiting hard drive and the old drive I want to
install has XP as well? I've been told to use the files and settings transfer
but can not because the my older computer is no longer working.

Melissa,

Yes you can install it. Just make sure that the current drive is set as
master and old drive is set as slave. Then go into disk management (start,
run, type diskmgmt.msc and press enter) and assign it a drive letter.

"Melissa" <Melissa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have an old Gateway computer that no longer works. I wanted to take the
> hard drive out of the old computer and install it in my new computer so I
can
> get all my important documents. Can I install this in my new computer
which
> currently has XP on the exisiting hard drive and the old drive I want to
> install has XP as well? I've been told to use the files and settings
transfer
> but can not because the my older computer is no longer working.

You certainly can. Just make sure to set the jumper on the old disk
to the "Slave" position.