Help! Windows 7 installation problem

timw86

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2008
Hey all. I've recently installed windows 7 on a partition of my hard drive, drive c. But most of my programs were installed on the other partition, drive d. It was my first time doing a windows installations, when I installed windows 7, I reformatted my drive c because i wanted a clean install, but I forgot to back up the drive or create restore points.

So now, all of the preferences, desktop layout, star menu shortcuts I had were all gone. Those didn't bother me too much because I can just redo them. But the most annoying thing is that all the programs I had installed in drive D no longer appear in the "programs and features" panel so I cannot uninstall or do anything to them. The programs themselves work just fine. I realize this probably has something to do with the registry. Like when I reformated drive c and installed windows, all of my registry values were erased or changed.

The only way I know to fix this problem is just to manually delete all the programs on drive D, or just reformat the entire drive, and reinstalling everything. But I really prefer not to do that if I can help it because I have sooo many programs on drive D.

My question is, is there anything I can do to fix this, maybe go in to the registry and type in some values, so the computer recognizes the programs as being installed?

Thanks so much in advance!

edmond419

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Don't delete the programs in drive D. Just navigate to their folders and create shortcuts to them.

Keep in mind some of them might not run. Create a list of those that doens't run, delete those and reinstall those (Make sure you have the original installation before pressing the delete key!!)