W98se - Client for Windows

Hi,

Friend has MS Client for windows and File and printer sharing on his
system and he does not connect to any other computers on a network.

He does use cable Internet but no network nor file and printer sharing.

Can we remove those two in order to speed up his boot time - I believe
those items are slowing things down and might not be needed at leat for now.

If we remove MS Client for Windows and File/printer sharing will that
have any effect on being able to use the cable Internet service?

Thanks, Fred

Fred S" <"Fred S wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Friend has MS Client for windows and File and printer sharing on his
> system and he does not connect to any other computers on a network.
>
> He does use cable Internet but no network nor file and printer
> sharing.
>
> Can we remove those two in order to speed up his boot time - I believe
> those items are slowing things down and might not be needed at leat
> for now.
>
> If we remove MS Client for Windows and File/printer sharing will that
> have any effect on being able to use the cable Internet service?
>
> Thanks, Fred

No, but it's highly unlikely that this will do anything for his boot speed
issues. I wouldn't bother.

Note that this is a group for hardware issues relating to Windows XP - I
suggest you post in a group for Windows 98 (there are several) and perhaps
that will help.

In addition, run msconfig (start | run) and see what's in his startup, and
run AdAware and Spybot (latest versions *only*) to scan for malware/spyware.

I also used this client before. I was using it to store the passwords when
accessing the Internet, with dial-up.

You can also set up which "client" to automatcially start in the Control
Panel --> Network..., so that you do not have the "login" prompt.

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"