GA-K8NXP-9 SATA help

Hi folks,

I've just bought a GA-K8NXP-9 and I'm having trouble actually getting
the BIOS to recognise the drive. The drive is a SATA Maxtor
DiamondMax Plus 9 80GB. When I try to install Win2k, the CD is
recognised, the drive is partitioned and then the WINNT folder
created and then the pc restarts to continue the process. Problem is
it never sees the drive outside of the win2k initial install. If this
all sounds familiar its because others have this problem too:
http://www.howtofixcomputers.com/bb/ftopic81189.html but I've tried
all the advice on that page to no avail. I'm reasonably sure its all
connected up right, and ive tried plugging the SATA cable into all of
the 4 slots on the motherboard with the same result.

I think the problem seems to stem from the BIOS not being able to see
the drive in the Advanced BIOS Features > Hard Disk Boot Priority
menu. The only option there is Bootable Add-On Cards. Does this mean
that the drive is not connected up properly? But then why can the
Win2k install see and write to it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

"dpattiso" <dpattiso@cis.strath.ac-dot-uk.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> Hi folks,
>
> I've just bought a GA-K8NXP-9 and I'm having trouble actually getting
> the BIOS to recognise the drive. The drive is a SATA Maxtor
> DiamondMax Plus 9 80GB. When I try to install Win2k, the CD is
> recognised, the drive is partitioned and then the WINNT folder
> created and then the pc restarts to continue the process. Problem is
> it never sees the drive outside of the win2k initial install. If this
> all sounds familiar its because others have this problem too:
> http://www.howtofixcomputers.com/bb/ftopic81189.html but I've tried
> all the advice on that page to no avail. I'm reasonably sure its all
> connected up right, and ive tried plugging the SATA cable into all of
> the 4 slots on the motherboard with the same result.
>
> I think the problem seems to stem from the BIOS not being able to see
> the drive in the Advanced BIOS Features > Hard Disk Boot Priority
> menu. The only option there is Bootable Add-On Cards. Does this mean
> that the drive is not connected up properly? But then why can the
> Win2k install see and write to it?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

First update to the latest BIOS, this should cure SATA detection problems.
If it still doesn't work then disable RAID detection and all SATA/IDE
channels that aren't being used. Reset and the drive should be detected at
BIOS post.

If all the above fails, which it shouldn't, then as a last resort setup the
drive as a single JBOD spanning array, loading the RAID drivers with F6
during XP setup. But the BIOS update should fix the issue.

During setup make sure to format drive again, as NTFS table will be bad.