authenticate as guest when computer or user information is..

would anyone be able to give any more detail on the wireless connection
setting;

"authenticate as guest when computer or user information is unavailable" ?

under what scenarios would neither be available -

does it relate to the configuration of a machine not being in a domain , in
which i assume no machine creds are available, and so the authentication has
to wait for user logon to initiate ??
5 answers Last reply
More about authenticate guest computer user information

    Graham Turner wrote:
    > would anyone be able to give any more detail on the wireless
    > connection setting;
    >
    > "authenticate as guest when computer or user information is
    > unavailable" ?

    If you use IAS/radius, (in domain or workgroup environment) you could enable
    the guest account and set a Remote access policy, which give limited network
    access for that connection.
    Bye!

    --
    Stefano FIO - stefano.fio@securityarchitect.it
    MCSE Security Windows Server 2K/2K3

    stefano, thanks for post response

    i agreed with your scenario in which guest access would be useful

    what i am trying to get to the bottom of is why my XP / SP2 client is
    apparently generating requests for Guest access to a radius server, given
    that this setting is not enabled

    thanks

    GT

    Graham Turner wrote:
    > stefano, thanks for post response
    >
    > i agreed with your scenario in which guest access would be useful
    >
    > what i am trying to get to the bottom of is why my XP / SP2 client is
    > apparently generating requests for Guest access to a radius server,
    > given that this setting is not enabled
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > GT

    mmmH! the "authenticate as guest when computer or user information is
    unavailable" is not checked.. right?
    What access point have you got? Cisco Aironet?

    > "Stefano Fio" <fiostefano@tiscali.it> wrote in message
    >> Graham Turner wrote:
    >>> would anyone be able to give any more detail on the wireless
    >>> connection setting;
    >>>
    >>> "authenticate as guest when computer or user information is
    >>> unavailable" ?
    >>
    >> If you use IAS/radius, (in domain or workgroup environment) you could
    >> enable
    >> the guest account and set a Remote access policy, which give limited
    >> network
    >> access for that connection.
    >> Bye!
    >>

    >> --
    >> Stefano FIO - stefano.fio@securityarchitect.it
    >> MCSE Security Windows Server 2K/2K3
    >> MCT - CWNA
    >> -This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties,
    >> and confers no rights
    >> - Le informazioni fornite in questo messaggio sono fornite
    >> senza vincolo di garanzia e senza responsabilità alcuna

    Stefano FIO - stefano.fio@securityarchitect.it
    MCSE Security Windows Server 2K/2K3
    MCT - CWNA
    -This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties,
    and confers no rights
    - Le informazioni fornite in questo messaggio sono fornite
    senza vincolo di garanzia e senza responsabilità alcuna

    you sound surprised - would you elaborate ??

    the AP is linksys wap54g

    "Graham Turner" <ipcomputers@btconnect.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
    > you sound surprised - would you elaborate ??
    >
    > the AP is linksys wap54g

    The Guest account on the client is active?

    > GT
    >
    > "Stefano Fio" <fiostefano@tiscali.it> wrote in message
    > > Graham Turner wrote:
    > >> stefano, thanks for post response
    > >>
    > >> i agreed with your scenario in which guest access would be useful
    > >>
    > >> what i am trying to get to the bottom of is why my XP / SP2 client is
    > >> apparently generating requests for Guest access to a radius server,
    > >> given that this setting is not enabled
    > >>
    > >> thanks
    > >>
    > >> GT
    > >>
    > > mmmH! the "authenticate as guest when computer or user information is
    > > unavailable" is not checked.. right?
    > > What access point have you got? Cisco Aironet?
    > >

    > >> "Stefano Fio" <fiostefano@tiscali.it> wrote in message

    > > --
    > > Stefano FIO - stefano.fio@securityarchitect.it
    > > MCSE Security Windows Server 2K/2K3
    > > MCT - CWNA
    > > -This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties,
    > > and confers no rights
    > > - Le informazioni fornite in questo messaggio sono fornite
    > > senza vincolo di garanzia e senza responsabilità alcuna

Wireless Computers Wireless Networking