I'm running windows XP home edition with service pack 2. I'm trying to
install a canon digital camera powershot A95. When the plug & play balloon
pops up it says error, device will not work properly. When I open the device
manager and click on the yellow exclamation mark over the canon camera I get
the following message;
'Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware because a previous
instance of the device driver is still in memory. ( Code 38 ). I've tried
updating the driver and uninstalling it and even trying to delete the driver
but still can't get the camera to work. Please any advice will be appreciated?

A possible solution - did you install the Canon software as per
instructions? - ie don't connect the camera until installing software
from the ...Solution disk. If this is the reason, maybe try a system
restore to before you did that and try again

John Allen

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 17:03:01 -0800, Warren
<Warren@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I'm running windows XP home edition with service pack 2. I'm trying to
>install a canon digital camera powershot A95. When the plug & play balloon
>pops up it says error, device will not work properly. When I open the device
>manager and click on the yellow exclamation mark over the canon camera I get
>the following message;
>'Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware because a previous
>instance of the device driver is still in memory. ( Code 38 ). I've tried
>updating the driver and uninstalling it and even trying to delete the driver
>but still can't get the camera to work. Please any advice will be appreciated?

Dev

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2001

/Warren/ said:

> I'm running windows XP home edition with service pack 2. I'm trying to
> install a canon digital camera powershot A95. When the plug & play balloon
> pops up it says error, device will not work properly. When I open the device
> manager and click on the yellow exclamation mark over the canon camera I get
> the following message;
> 'Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware because a previous
> instance of the device driver is still in memory. ( Code 38 ). I've tried
> updating the driver and uninstalling it and even trying to delete the driver
> but still can't get the camera to work.

Hold down the Windows key (the one with the flag) and then press PAUSE key.
Click the HARDWARE tab.
Press the DEVICE MANAGER button.
Click the VIEW menu and click SHOW HIDDEN DEVICES.

Expand each branch of the tree and look for a warning or question mark.
Right-click|UNINSTALL each errant device.

Then attempt to install the camera driver once again - _exactly_ per the
instructions.

If no happiness, buy an inexpensive card reader (for the type of card used
by that camera). It saves on batteries, and ends the camera cable hookup
hassle.

--
For most XP answers and tweaks...
http://dougknox.com http://aumha.org

Thanks for the reply John. But I did install as per instuctions. I even tried
a system restore and tried to install again as per canon's instuctions, and I
am getting the same error.
Please any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Warren

"John A" wrote:

> A possible solution - did you install the Canon software as per
> instructions? - ie don't connect the camera until installing software
> from the ...Solution disk. If this is the reason, maybe try a system
> restore to before you did that and try again
>
> John Allen
>
> On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 17:03:01 -0800, Warren
> <Warren@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I'm running windows XP home edition with service pack 2. I'm trying to
> >install a canon digital camera powershot A95. When the plug & play balloon
> >pops up it says error, device will not work properly. When I open the device
> >manager and click on the yellow exclamation mark over the canon camera I get
> >the following message;
> >'Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware because a previous
> >instance of the device driver is still in memory. ( Code 38 ). I've tried
> >updating the driver and uninstalling it and even trying to delete the driver
> >but still can't get the camera to work. Please any advice will be appreciated?

dsue

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2005

This is the same problem described under "Device Driver Cannot Load" 8/22/04
and "Help ME!!! headset problem" 11/14/04, which I am also having with regard
to my video capture device (K-World USB 2.0 Combo TV Box). I tried
reinstalling again for the umpteenth time, after following the instructions
from "dev" (which I had done for each of the previous uninstalls with the
exception of showing Hidden Devices). There are two items with my device
that I wonder if they could be contributing to the problem under XP Home: 1)
the driver is not digitally signed and 2) I don't have USB 2, just USB 1 ---
but the device previously worked fine under Windows ME. PLEASE . . . CAN
SOMEONE HELP US????