Just added an ASUS p5p800 and now unable to boot XP

January 3, 2005 7:49:34 AM

Just added a new asus p5p800/p4-520 cpu. Computer makes it through POST
fine and recognizes HDDs and CD-RW, DVD-RW, but restarts itself when it
should be loading/starting win xp...? I am trying to avoid re-installing
xp. Anyone have an answer? After BIOS POST, screen displays the XP safe
mode selection screen. If normal start is selected, system immediately
restarts... If safe mode is selected, screen begins to display drivers being
loaded, and then restarts. Greatly appreciate any incite!!
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 7:49:35 AM

Did you attempt a repair install?

Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Find out about the MS MVP Program -

"Rob Larzelere" <rob.larzelere@att.net> wrote in message
> Just added a new asus p5p800/p4-520 cpu. Computer makes it through POST
> fine and recognizes HDDs and CD-RW, DVD-RW, but restarts itself when it
> should be loading/starting win xp...? I am trying to avoid re-installing
> xp. Anyone have an answer? After BIOS POST, screen displays the XP safe
> mode selection screen. If normal start is selected, system immediately
> restarts... If safe mode is selected, screen begins to display drivers
> being loaded, and then restarts. Greatly appreciate any incite!!

Anonymous
January 4, 2005 11:08:22 PM

Rob Larzelere wrote:
> Just added a new asus p5p800/p4-520 cpu. Computer makes it through POST
> fine and recognizes HDDs and CD-RW, DVD-RW, but restarts itself when it
> should be loading/starting win xp...? I am trying to avoid re-installing
> xp. Anyone have an answer? After BIOS POST, screen displays the XP safe
> mode selection screen. If normal start is selected, system immediately
> restarts... If safe mode is selected, screen begins to display drivers being
> loaded, and then restarts. Greatly appreciate any incite!!

Normally, and assuming a retail license (many OEM installations and
licenses, especially those of the branded, BIOS-locked variety, are not
transferable to a new motherboard - check yours *before* starting),
unless the new motherboard is virtually identical (same chipset, same
IDE controllers, same BIOS version, etc.) to the one on which the WinXP
installation was originally performed, you'll need to perform a repair
(a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation, at the very least:

http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=K...;EN-US;Q315341

The "why" is quite simple, really, and has nothing to do with
licensing issues, per se; it's a purely technical matter, at this point.
You've pulled the proverbial hardware rug out from under the OS. (If
you don't like -- or get -- the rug analogy, think of it as picking up a
Cape Cod style home and then setting it down onto a Ranch style
foundation. It just isn't going to fit.) WinXP, like Win2K before it,
is not nearly as "promiscuous" as Win9x when it comes to accepting any
old hardware configuration you throw at it. On installation it
"tailors" itself to the specific hardware found. This is one of the
reasons that the entire WinNT/2K/XP OS family is so much more stable
than the Win9x group.

important data before starting.

This will also probably require re-activation, unless you have a
Volume Licensed version of WinXP Pro installed. If it's been more
than 120 days since you last activated that specific Product Key,
you'll most likely be able to activate via the Internet without
problem. If it's been less, you might have to make a 5 minute phone
call.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
June 12, 2005 3:53:03 AM

Rob Larzelere Wrote:
> Just added a new asus p5p800/p4-520 cpu. Computer makes it through
> POST
> fine and recognizes HDDs and CD-RW, DVD-RW, but restarts itself when
> it
> should be loading/starting win xp...? I am trying to avoid
> re-installing
> xp. Anyone have an answer? After BIOS POST, screen displays the XP
> safe
> mode selection screen. If normal start is selected, system
> immediately
> restarts... If safe mode is selected, screen begins to display drivers
> being
> loaded, and then restarts. Greatly appreciate any incite!!

Was a solution ever found to this problem? I'm having the exact same
problem with my new P5P800 and would like to know if you found a
solution!

--
Rendar
Anonymous

Rendar wrote:
> Rob Larzelere Wrote:
>
>>Just added a new asus p5p800/p4-520 cpu. Computer makes it through
>>POST
>>fine and recognizes HDDs and CD-RW, DVD-RW, but restarts itself when
>>it
>>should be loading/starting win xp...? I am trying to avoid
>>re-installing
>>xp. Anyone have an answer? After BIOS POST, screen displays the XP
>>safe
>>mode selection screen. If normal start is selected, system
>>immediately
>>restarts... If safe mode is selected, screen begins to display drivers
>>being
>>loaded, and then restarts. Greatly appreciate any incite!!
>

> Was a solution ever found to this problem? I'm having the exact same
> problem with my new P5P800 and would like to know if you found a
> solution!

Have you tried a repair install? I ran the repair install after
upgrading to this board and everything worked fine afterwards. You do
have to reinstall all the "updates" from Microsoft though :(
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 8:20:34 AM

You'll almost certainly need to do a repair install.

See here for instructions on how to do this.

"Rendar" <Rendar.1qhs5t@news.xpbanter.com> wrote in message

> Rob Larzelere Wrote:
>> Just added a new asus p5p800/p4-520 cpu. Computer makes it through
>> POST
>> fine and recognizes HDDs and CD-RW, DVD-RW, but restarts itself when
>> it
>> should be loading/starting win xp...? I am trying to avoid
>> re-installing
>> xp. Anyone have an answer? After BIOS POST, screen displays the XP
>> safe
>> mode selection screen. If normal start is selected, system
>> immediately
>> restarts... If safe mode is selected, screen begins to display drivers
>> being
>> loaded, and then restarts. Greatly appreciate any incite!!
>
> Was a solution ever found to this problem? I'm having the exact same
> problem with my new P5P800 and would like to know if you found a
> solution!
>

> --
> Rendar
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 5:55:05 AM

I ended up just formating the drive and doing a clean install. Things
weren't working very well after a repair install so I went the whole
sha-bang. This solved everything, and now I'm running with a lovely
800FSB and a P4 320 :)

Thanks to everyone who offered help.

BTW, to document what initially happened in a bit more detail, this is
what happened. Upon putting the new stuff in, Windows would not go to
the 'WINDOWS XP' flash screen at all, but reboot just after the whole
POST routine was run. After the repair install, I could get into Win
once but then it would always hang upon signing in at the 'loading
personal preference' point.

--
Rendar
April 29, 2006 4:18:53 AM

Suddenly, after a few months of working fine.. my ASUS P5P800 will not boot to Windows XP Home.. not even "safe" mode. Pretty much tried everything.. including a clean install.. Even a clean install of Windows 2000 fails to boot. (including swapped out memory chips and video card.)

In "safe mode".. I get as far as "l_intl.nls".. and the system hangs for a number of seconds.. and then, the hard drive will spin (light on) indefinately.

Curiously, Debian Linux and Knoppix will boot and run fine!

Any ideas would be welcome!

// Brian
!