Does this system have what it takes to run Mame?

I asked this a couple weeks ago here but I'm having some trouble running
some games in my cabinet. I've got an Athlon 500 with 256mb RAM and some
games are REALLY choppy. So far NBA Hangtime and Hangtime Extreme are
completely unplayable. Strangely enough so is P-47 which is odd because its
just a little side-scrolling shooter, nothing fancy about it whatsoever.
Anyways, I'm using Mamewah 161 with command-line Mame .91. I'm hoping it is
a problem with my setup rather than my hardware. Any ideas?
7 answers Last reply
More about does system takes mame

    On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 11:39:21 -0600, "MikeC" <someone@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >I asked this a couple weeks ago here but I'm having some trouble running
    >some games in my cabinet. I've got an Athlon 500 with 256mb RAM and some
    >games are REALLY choppy. So far NBA Hangtime and Hangtime Extreme are
    >completely unplayable. Strangely enough so is P-47 which is odd because its
    >just a little side-scrolling shooter, nothing fancy about it whatsoever.
    >Anyways, I'm using Mamewah 161 with command-line Mame .91. I'm hoping it is
    >a problem with my setup rather than my hardware. Any ideas?

    The apparent visual complexity of a game is no indication of what CPU
    speed is required to run it adequately. Your hardware is much to
    limited to run the games you mention. As Roman says, go for 3Ghz+ for
    better emulation.

    Cheers,
    Terra Cresta

    PC Arcade
    http://www.pcarcade.tv

    MikeC schrieb:
    > I asked this a couple weeks ago here but I'm having some trouble running
    > some games in my cabinet. I've got an Athlon 500 with 256mb RAM and some
    > games are REALLY choppy. So far NBA Hangtime and Hangtime Extreme are
    > completely unplayable. Strangely enough so is P-47 which is odd because its
    > just a little side-scrolling shooter, nothing fancy about it whatsoever.
    > Anyways, I'm using Mamewah 161 with command-line Mame .91. I'm hoping it is
    > a problem with my setup rather than my hardware. Any ideas?

    Get a CPU somewhere around 3GHz.

    Roman Scherzer thought about it a bit, then said...
    > MikeC schrieb:
    > > I asked this a couple weeks ago here but I'm having some trouble running
    > > some games in my cabinet. I've got an Athlon 500 with 256mb RAM and some
    > > games are REALLY choppy. So far NBA Hangtime and Hangtime Extreme are
    > > completely unplayable. Strangely enough so is P-47 which is odd because its
    > > just a little side-scrolling shooter, nothing fancy about it whatsoever.
    > > Anyways, I'm using Mamewah 161 with command-line Mame .91. I'm hoping it is
    > > a problem with my setup rather than my hardware. Any ideas?
    >
    > Get a CPU somewhere around 3GHz.

    My general recommendation is that a 1Ghz system is the "minimum specs" -
    it'll run most of the 80's games at close to 100% speed. Higher
    processor speeds can allow use of 90's games, but after that, however,
    there isn't a processor fast enough.

    --
    Kevin Steele
    RetroBlast! Retrogaming News and Reviews

    On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 18:14:57 GMT, Terra Cresta <t

    >The apparent visual complexity of a game is no indication of what CPU
    >speed is required to run it adequately. Your hardware is much to
    >limited to run the games you mention. As Roman says, go for 3Ghz+ for
    >better emulation.
    >
    >Cheers,
    >Terra Cresta
    >
    >PC Arcade
    >http://www.pcarcade.tv

    Even my system with 3.4 GHZ P4-HT and 1 Gig RAM isn´t fast enough to
    play the Games you mentioned smoothly...
    Excample: Gauntlet Legends at 10 FPS...forget it!

    MikeC wrote:
    > I asked this a couple weeks ago here but I'm having some trouble running
    > some games in my cabinet. I've got an Athlon 500 with 256mb RAM and some
    > games are REALLY choppy. So far NBA Hangtime and Hangtime Extreme are
    > completely unplayable. Strangely enough so is P-47 which is odd because its
    > just a little side-scrolling shooter, nothing fancy about it whatsoever.
    > Anyways, I'm using Mamewah 161 with command-line Mame .91. I'm hoping it is
    > a problem with my setup rather than my hardware. Any ideas?

    Grab a copy of fastmame. ( www.geoshock.com ) Email the author if you
    really need a DOS compile.

    --
    Thnik about it!
    Dead_Dad

    Kevin Steele wrote on 24. February 2005:

    > Roman Scherzer thought about it a bit, then said...
    >> MikeC schrieb:
    >> > I asked this a couple weeks ago here but I'm having some trouble running
    >> > some games in my cabinet. I've got an Athlon 500 with 256mb RAM and some
    >> > games are REALLY choppy. So far NBA Hangtime and Hangtime Extreme are
    >> > completely unplayable. Strangely enough so is P-47 which is odd because its
    >> > just a little side-scrolling shooter, nothing fancy about it whatsoever.
    >> > Anyways, I'm using Mamewah 161 with command-line Mame .91. I'm hoping it is
    >> > a problem with my setup rather than my hardware. Any ideas?
    >>
    >> Get a CPU somewhere around 3GHz.
    >
    > My general recommendation is that a 1Ghz system is the "minimum specs" -
    > it'll run most of the 80's games at close to 100% speed.

    Have a 233 Mhz here. Most of the early 80s games run nice.
    --
    By(e) Andreas

    MikeC wrote:

    > Strangely enough so is P-47 which is odd because its
    > just a little side-scrolling shooter, nothing fancy about it whatsoever.

    Your 'little side-scrolling shooter' has two 68k processors, running at 12
    and 7MHz respectively, and *3* sound chips! It's no wonder your 500MHz
    machine can't handle it!

    Also, hangtime has a 6MHz DSP, whose instruction set is a lot more complex
    and hence more costly to emulate than its 6MHz would imply. There also seems
    to be some pretty serious graphics moving around there so again, don't be
    surprised.

    I've got an 800MHz laptop that I use for playing around on and I don't
    expect to get much more than Frogger, Pacman, Space Invaders etc running on it.

    Regards,

    --
    | Mark McDougall | "Electrical Engineers do it
    | <http://members.iinet.net.au/~msmcdoug> | with less resistance!"

Games Command Line Video Games