How do I enable hyper threading ga-k8nxp-sli with amd64 fc55

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
April 8, 2005 1:25:28 AM

I have a GA-K8NXP-SLI mb along with an AMD64 FX55 processor.
I can't see a hyperthread option in the bios.
How do I set up?

Also any other hints for setting up this system?

TIA
Brian
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 8, 2005 1:25:29 AM

"Brian" <me@home> wrote in message news:425518ab@dnews.tpgi.com.au...
>I have a GA-K8NXP-SLI mb along with an AMD64 FX55 processor.
> I can't see a hyperthread option in the bios.
> How do I set up?
>
> Also any other hints for setting up this system?
>
> TIA
> Brian

Dear god, you go and spend top money for a top end CPU and motherboard. Yet
you don't have a clue about computers?...if you knew anything you'd know
that no AMD CPU even has Hyperthreading.

You can't enable it because it dosen't exist in any current AMD processor. I
strongly suggest you do alot of reading or sell me that FX-55 just to keep
it away from rookies, knowing you you'll overclock it way too high and blow
it up.

[rolls eyes]
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 8, 2005 1:25:29 AM

Hi dude

On my Gigabyte board it available after you press Ctrl-F1 on the BIOS
frontpage, then i think its under the second menu.

>I have a GA-K8NXP-SLI mb along with an AMD64 FX55 processor.
> I can't see a hyperthread option in the bios.
> How do I set up?
>
> Also any other hints for setting up this system?

I've got Ballistix matched memory in mine running dual channel and Hyper
threading.

--

(º·.¸(¨*·.¸ ¸.·*¨)¸.·º)
«.·°·. Steve .·°·.»

Richard Dower wrote:
> "Brian" <me@home> wrote in message news:425518ab@dnews.tpgi.com.au...
>
>>I have a GA-K8NXP-SLI mb along with an AMD64 FX55 processor.
>>I can't see a hyperthread option in the bios.
>>How do I set up?
>>
>>Also any other hints for setting up this system?
>>
>>TIA
>>Brian
>

> Dear god, you go and spend top money for a top end CPU and motherboard. Yet
> you don't have a clue about computers?...if you knew anything you'd know
> that no AMD CPU even has Hyperthreading.
>
> You can't enable it because it dosen't exist in any current AMD processor. I
> strongly suggest you do alot of reading or sell me that FX-55 just to keep
> it away from rookies, knowing you you'll overclock it way too high and blow
> it up.
>
> [rolls eyes]

I know - more money than sense. But I needed something good to run MS
Word. Just kidding but you are right I don't know much about PC's which
is why I'm asking the experts.
Maybe I'm getting confused between hyper threading and Hyper Transport
Technology which is what is written on the FX-55 box.

Can you enlighten me?? All newbie jokes, etc gladly taken along with info.

thanks Brian

I do know that I can play Half Life 2 at up to 300fps with no lag!!

Not game to overclock it at all - is that a waste as well??
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 8, 2005 2:38:08 AM

..
> Maybe I'm getting confused between hyper threading and Hyper Transport
> Technology which is what is written on the FX-55 box.
>
> Can you enlighten me?? All newbie jokes, etc gladly taken along with info.

Hyper transport is automatically enabled in BIOS. Your HTT is auto set to 5x
= 1000HTT.

> I do know that I can play Half Life 2 at up to 300fps with no lag!!
>
> Not game to overclock it at all - is that a waste as well??

LOL!!!....300fps in Half Life 2?, you must have SOME rig. Dude...there is
NOTHING on this planet that can produce 300fps on that game, unless you're
running at 800x600 with very low detail levels.

Try set everything to 1600x1200 and max out all the visual settings, now
report back on fps.
April 8, 2005 3:11:53 AM

Richard Dower wrote:
> .
>
>>Maybe I'm getting confused between hyper threading and Hyper Transport
>>Technology which is what is written on the FX-55 box.
>>
>>Can you enlighten me?? All newbie jokes, etc gladly taken along with info.
>

> Hyper transport is automatically enabled in BIOS. Your HTT is auto set to 5x
> = 1000HTT.
>

>>I do know that I can play Half Life 2 at up to 300fps with no lag!!
>>
>>Not game to overclock it at all - is that a waste as well??
>

> LOL!!!....300fps in Half Life 2?, you must have SOME rig. Dude...there is
> NOTHING on this planet that can produce 300fps on that game, unless you're
> running at 800x600 with very low detail levels.
>
> Try set everything to 1600x1200 and max out all the visual settings, now
> report back on fps.

minimum 60fps with heaps of bots. I have a 19" screen. All details set
to max - except one that wouldn't allow me to change. Haven't gone for
dual cards yet - have to save up again for that. . .

I'll do some research on hyper transport vs hyper threading

thanks for responding. I was reading your messages on sata drives. I've
ordered a single 250GB drive. Is it plug and play or will I have problems??
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 8, 2005 3:11:54 AM

"Brian" <me@home> wrote in message news:42553198$1@dnews.tpgi.com.au...

> thanks for responding. I was reading your messages on sata drives. I've
> ordered a single 250GB drive. Is it plug and play or will I have
> problems??

Plug & Play, it auto detects your drive. Just remember to format the drive
when you're within Windows, under Computer Management - Disc Management.
April 9, 2005 1:28:52 AM

Steve Sweet wrote:
> Hi dude
>
> On my Gigabyte board it available after you press Ctrl-F1 on the BIOS
> frontpage, then i think its under the second menu.
>
>> I have a GA-K8NXP-SLI mb along with an AMD64 FX55 processor.
>> I can't see a hyperthread option in the bios.
>> How do I set up?
>>
>> Also any other hints for setting up this system?
>
> I've got Ballistix matched memory in mine running dual channel and
> Hyper threading.

No you haven't.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 9, 2005 1:43:21 AM

"Ian" <ian@iano.net> wrote in message

> Steve Sweet wrote:
>> Hi dude
>>
>> On my Gigabyte board it available after you press Ctrl-F1 on the BIOS
>> frontpage, then i think its under the second menu.
>>
>>> I have a GA-K8NXP-SLI mb along with an AMD64 FX55 processor.
>>> I can't see a hyperthread option in the bios.
>>> How do I set up?
>>>
>>> Also any other hints for setting up this system?
>>
>> I've got Ballistix matched memory in mine running dual channel and
>> Hyper threading.
>
> No you haven't.

Exactly, there is no option for Hyper Threading on the SLI Giga board. There
is an option for HTT = Hyper transport.
April 9, 2005 4:50:30 AM

Careful Richard. You nearly crashed the HDD on my laptop with that :)

"Richard Dower" <richarddower@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:D 3391u$310$1@reader01.news.esat.net...

> "Brian" <me@home> wrote in message news:425518ab@dnews.tpgi.com.au...
>>I have a GA-K8NXP-SLI mb along with an AMD64 FX55 processor.
>> I can't see a hyperthread option in the bios.
>> How do I set up?
>>
>> Also any other hints for setting up this system?
>>
>> TIA
>> Brian
>
> Dear god, you go and spend top money for a top end CPU and motherboard.
> Yet you don't have a clue about computers?...if you knew anything you'd
> know that no AMD CPU even has Hyperthreading.
>
> You can't enable it because it dosen't exist in any current AMD processor.
> I strongly suggest you do alot of reading or sell me that FX-55 just to
> keep it away from rookies, knowing you you'll overclock it way too high
> and blow it up.
>
> [rolls eyes]

April 9, 2005 6:22:58 AM

Richard Dower wrote:
> "Ian" <ian@iano.net> wrote in message
>>

>> Steve Sweet wrote:
>>> Hi dude
>>>
>>> On my Gigabyte board it available after you press Ctrl-F1 on the
>>> BIOS frontpage, then i think its under the second menu.

>>> I've got Ballistix matched memory in mine running dual channel and
>>> Hyper threading.
>>
>> No you haven't.
>>

> Exactly, there is no option for Hyper Threading on the SLI Giga
> board. There is an option for HTT = Hyper transport.

Yes, hyper-threading (AKA "HT Technology" - marketing term) is absolutely
exclusively a feature of Intel.
!