Gigabyte GA-8KNXP won't enter post

jreiter

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2003

I have a Gigabyte GA-8KNXP (Rev 1) board that after 2 years stopped
booting up. It will not even enter POST. It has always been on a APC,
battery backup.

The only thing I've done recently was back in December I upgraded to a
P4 3.2 Ghz (prescott) CPU from a P4 2.4Ghz CPU.

When it wouldn't boot, I assumed the CPU failed. I put the old one
back in, but the system still won't boot.

I swapped as much as I can with an older computer (PS, Graphics,
monitor, KB, etc) without any success. I've even changed the battery
for the BIOS/CMOS.

It seems that all that is left is to replace the motherboard. It was a
great game system.

Has anyone had a similiar failure?

I'm tempted to go to a ASUS board. What kind of issues should I
prepare for in changing a motherboard? This system has XP Pro
installed. Will I have to re-install the s/w as well?

Thanks.

> Has anyone had a similiar failure?

Yes.

Google in this newsgroup, and you'll find numerous other examples. Like
yours, my rev 1 board died randomly one day, after ~8 months of working
fine. I don't have an explanation why, but for my own curiosity,

- did you have the DPS2 plugged in?

- was your Northbridge fan working fine (or was it, possibly, overly
noisy)?

> I'm tempted to go to a ASUS board. What kind of issues should I
> prepare for in changing a motherboard? This system has XP Pro
> installed. Will I have to re-install the s/w as well?

Well, my 8KNXP has a 3yr warranty -- so, you might be able to replace
yours under warranty. But if I were buying new, I must admit, I too
would be leaning toward ASUS...

The need to reinstall software depends entirely on whether or not your
new board will have a different chipset (e.g., if you plan on staying w/
Intel, are you planning on going to the 915 series chipset, or going the
AMD route, etc.).

Kris

"jreiter" <johnreiter@comcast-dot-net.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
>I have a Gigabyte GA-8KNXP (Rev 1) board that after 2 years stopped
> booting up. It will not even enter POST. It has always been on a APC,
> battery backup.

The first thing to do when on a backup - unplug it and see if it works
without it.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0514-3, 10/04/2005
Tested on: 11/04/2005 12:46:03 PM

Tim

Make sure your system is virus and spyware free prior to this change.
Backup all data.

If you change motherboards - follow the instructions at the following link
for doing a repair install of XP.

www.michaelstevenstech.com

With a new motherboard, it is a good idea to make a memory tester floppy see
www.memtest86.org and follow instructions there. Checking the RAM has NO
faults is prudent - 1 fault and no OS can run correctly. Let the test run
for a minimum of say 3 cycles.

Refrain from booting your computer from the HDD with the new motherboard
until you have done a repair install.

"jreiter" <johnreiter@comcast-dot-net.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
>I have a Gigabyte GA-8KNXP (Rev 1) board that after 2 years stopped
> booting up. It will not even enter POST. It has always been on a APC,
> battery backup.
>
> The only thing I've done recently was back in December I upgraded to a
> P4 3.2 Ghz (prescott) CPU from a P4 2.4Ghz CPU.
>
> When it wouldn't boot, I assumed the CPU failed. I put the old one
> back in, but the system still won't boot.
>
> I swapped as much as I can with an older computer (PS, Graphics,
> monitor, KB, etc) without any success. I've even changed the battery
> for the BIOS/CMOS.
>
> It seems that all that is left is to replace the motherboard. It was a
> great game system.
>
> Has anyone had a similiar failure?
>
> I'm tempted to go to a ASUS board. What kind of issues should I
> prepare for in changing a motherboard? This system has XP Pro
> installed. Will I have to re-install the s/w as well?
>
> Thanks.

jreiter

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2003

Thanks for the suggestions, especially the one regarding a XP Repair.
I would have just plugged the drive in and hoped for the best.

I ordered a ASUS. The Gigabyte was a great board, but the support and
documentation will lead me to pass on them in the future. I had
struggled with setting up a single SATA drive when I first built this
system. I also had to guess, alot, when configuring BIOS. Their latest
suggestion was to remove the memory cards.

I'll post my results.

jreiter wrote:
> I have a Gigabyte GA-8KNXP (Rev 1) board that after 2 years stopped
> booting up. It will not even enter POST. It has always been on a APC,
> battery backup.
>
> The only thing I've done recently was back in December I upgraded to
> P4 3.2 Ghz (prescott) CPU from a P4 2.4Ghz CPU.
>
> When it wouldn't boot, I assumed the CPU failed. I put the old one
> back in, but the system still won't boot.
>
> I swapped as much as I can with an older computer (PS, Graphics,
> monitor, KB, etc) without any success. I've even changed the battery
> for the BIOS/CMOS.
>
> It seems that all that is left is to replace the motherboard. It was
> great game system.
>
> Has anyone had a similiar failure?
>
> I'm tempted to go to a ASUS board. What kind of issues should I
> prepare for in changing a motherboard? This system has XP Pro
> installed. Will I have to re-install the s/w as well?
>
> Thanks.

When the Dual power regulator goes bad the board wont post. remove the
plug in module and it should work if thats the problem. it happened to
my INXP board and i removed the module and it works fine. DOUG

jreiter

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2003

:cry:

I've gotten as far as doing the XP Repair. What happens is that as
part of the XP repair install, the install process gets to the screen
where you see "Press any key to boot from CD ...". Once that times
out, the system should reboot from the hard drive and finish the
install. Mine does not.

I see the Windows splash screen for just a second, and then the screen
comes up where you can select modes, such as safe mode and last known
good. None of these work.

When I boot from CD and go into the Repair Console, "map" shows all
the original partitions, which is some good news. "bootcfg" shows
only one install of Windows and the boot.ini seems to have all the
right parameters set.

I haven't done anything else as I'm not ready to do a clean install
and lose all the programs and data. I'll at least try and think of a
way to copy the data from the other partitions on the drive.

I seem so close.

BTW - I haven't found the Support from ASUS any better then from
Gigabyte. Very sad. It's always "re-seat" and/or "re-install".

"G MAN" <courseyauto@aol.com> wrote in message

> jreiter wrote:

>> I have a Gigabyte GA-8KNXP (Rev 1) board that after 2 years stopped
>> booting up. It will not even enter POST. It has always been on a APC,
>> battery backup.
>>
>> The only thing I've done recently was back in December I upgraded to
>> P4 3.2 Ghz (prescott) CPU from a P4 2.4Ghz CPU.
>>
>> When it wouldn't boot, I assumed the CPU failed. I put the old one
>> back in, but the system still won't boot.
>>
>> I swapped as much as I can with an older computer (PS, Graphics,
>> monitor, KB, etc) without any success. I've even changed the battery
>> for the BIOS/CMOS.
>>
>> It seems that all that is left is to replace the motherboard. It was
>> great game system.
>>
>> Has anyone had a similiar failure?
>>
>> I'm tempted to go to a ASUS board. What kind of issues should I
>> prepare for in changing a motherboard? This system has XP Pro
>> installed. Will I have to re-install the s/w as well?
>>
>> Thanks.
>

> When the Dual power regulator goes bad the board wont post. remove the
> plug in module and it should work if thats the problem. it happened to
> my INXP board and i removed the module and it works fine. DOUG

OTOH, I just purchased a new OEM 8KNXP Rev. 1 board and it would not POST,
and it didn't have the DPS2 thingie installed and never did. It would power
up with fans and lights, but nothing else.

jreiter

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2003

I went ahead and replaced the Gigabyte with a ASUS.

I then tried a XP Repair install, which failed. The repair process
worked just fine, it's just that the drivers needed for SATA without
RAID were not being installed (ASUS board does not support RAID). I
quickly reached the point were I would be doing more damage, so I
went with a clean install.

I purchased a 2nd SATA drive and installed XP on it. The install was
painless, and all the data on the original drive was intacted. I
needed to contact Microsoft to get a new "license", but it's an
automated process and took all of 5 minutes. I just need to
re-install the programs and applications.

So I have way too much disk space, but a clean, updated, system. Not
sure how well it will handle FarCry compared to the Gigabyte system.

I did contact Gigabyte and they emailed me the RMA forms. Hopefully
they will repair the board. Not sure what I'll do with it, but I'm
sure I'll think of something. :twisted: