GA-7N400-L Ram and USB problems

Hi

I'll get right to it ... I had 1 gig of ram (Kingston 2x512 meg DS
PC-3200) and went out and bought 2 more Kingston 2x512 meg SS PC-3200.
Placed them in order in which the manual told me to dealing with DS and
SS ... Anyways with all 4 Dimm slots filled the computer will boot and
will read 2 gigs yet won't go to the XP start up screen. It just kind
of hangs. If I take out the last one (DIMM 4) It will work fine, no
problems. I tired changing voltage to +1 and +2 and still with all 4 no
go. I have tested all 4 pieces of Ram and they all work perfect alone. I
have both SP 1 and 2 updates. Also have the latest in Bios updates F11.
So Where to now?
Also i installed a new harddrive and now all my usb ports are reading
1.1 when they should all be 2.0. I uninstalled them in hopes on a
reboot it will pick it up but no go. I also Downloaded USB 2 stuff from
the gigibyte web site but no dice. Same error all the time "This USB
device can perform faster if you connect to a USB 2.0 port click here
for the list of open ports" and i go there and well its all my ports
that are open anyways ... BLAH BLAH BLAH.
Anyways if anyone has any advice that would be great!
Thanx

--
Eyezie

dacman61

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2007

[...]

I had this problem and discovered that my motherboard would not handle 4 x 512MB sticks. The most it would allow was 1.5GB of RAM and to keep the Dual Channel config, I had to install the 3 RAM sticks in slots 1,2, and 4.... Odd isn't it?

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi there,

Couple of things to note and try:
Sometimes when you combine RAM that's not matched in timing exactly they won't work together properly no matter what you do. However go into your BIOS and make sure all are set to 2.6 Volts, and the timings are all the same for all 4 sticks. Also did you pull out stick #3, to see if possibly the 4th RAM socket might be defective.
Finally, conside downloading Memtest+ 86 as the ISO, burn it to a CD, set your CD player in the BIOS to load first, and run the memory testing with all 4 sticks in place. See if there is any problem.

Funny regarding the USB 2 compatability.
Might download the Microsoft XP USB 2 drivers and install. That might work rather than the GB driver. Here's the link

http://xpdrivers.com/usb/microsoft/_3_2548.cfm?gclid=CKnxu6CB2akCFRVggwodixWcWg

Hope that's helpful.