DVD Drive Questions

Hello. I am very new to computers and I would appreciate any help. I just
bought this product:

A Dell 8X/4X/12X DVD+RW and 32X/16X/40X CD-RW Internal Combo Drive for Dell
Dimension 2350 / 2400 and 4600 System

My two questions are 1) What program do you recommend purchasing so I can
copy DVD's and my 2nd is what type of blank DVD's do I buy? THanks

RJP

There are many products available to author DVD's. Since it is illegal ATT
to copy DVD's you will not find a commercially available retail product that
will copy DVD's. You will have to rely on products that are only available
for download, and many of them are malware included bundles. You are going
to have to do some research, as I know of no single "program" that will
successfully copy all DVD's. It really is too much trouble to even try. If
you search eBay, you can find DVD's for a fraction of their retail cost.
Commercially produced DVD's will be of higher quality and higher data
density than you can produce on your computer.

Bobby

"RJP" <RJP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello. I am very new to computers and I would appreciate any help. I
> just
> bought this product:
>
> A Dell 8X/4X/12X DVD+RW and 32X/16X/40X CD-RW Internal Combo Drive for
> Dell
> Dimension 2350 / 2400 and 4600 System
>
> My two questions are 1) What program do you recommend purchasing so I can
> copy DVD's and my 2nd is what type of blank DVD's do I buy? THanks
>
> RJP

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

You could do a Google search, www.google.com, for DVD and/or CD burning
software.

The drive manufacturer should have provided you with a list of compatible or
recommended blank media. Check any literature you got with the system or go
online to their web site.

"RJP" <RJP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello. I am very new to computers and I would appreciate any help. I
> just
> bought this product:
>
> A Dell 8X/4X/12X DVD+RW and 32X/16X/40X CD-RW Internal Combo Drive for
> Dell
> Dimension 2350 / 2400 and 4600 System
>
> My two questions are 1) What program do you recommend purchasing so I can
> copy DVD's and my 2nd is what type of blank DVD's do I buy? THanks
>
> RJP

Software: www.nero.com

Blank Media: Contacting the drive manufacturer is the most reliable way.
Check out Dell's website as well.

r.

"RJP" <RJP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello. I am very new to computers and I would appreciate any help. I
> just
> bought this product:
>
> A Dell 8X/4X/12X DVD+RW and 32X/16X/40X CD-RW Internal Combo Drive for
> Dell
> Dimension 2350 / 2400 and 4600 System
>
> My two questions are 1) What program do you recommend purchasing so I can
> copy DVD's and my 2nd is what type of blank DVD's do I buy? THanks
>
> RJP

map

"RJP" wrote:

> Hello. I am very new to computers and I would appreciate any help. I just
> bought this product:
>
> A Dell 8X/4X/12X DVD+RW and 32X/16X/40X CD-RW Internal Combo Drive for Dell
> Dimension 2350 / 2400 and 4600 System
>
> My two questions are 1) What program do you recommend purchasing so I can
> copy DVD's and my 2nd is what type of blank DVD's do I buy? THanks
>
> RJP

I have backed up over 100 DVD movies of mine using this free program with no
problems at all.Works best with Nero but any DVD burning software will work.
http://www.snapfiles.com/freeware/gmm/fwdvdripping.html

"RJP" <RJP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| Hello. I am very new to computers and I would appreciate any help. I
just
| bought this product:
|
| A Dell 8X/4X/12X DVD+RW and 32X/16X/40X CD-RW Internal Combo Drive for
Dell
| Dimension 2350 / 2400 and 4600 System
|
| My two questions are 1) What program do you recommend purchasing so I can
| copy DVD's and my 2nd is what type of blank DVD's do I buy? THanks
|
| RJP

Your drive or computer should have come with some sort of DVD authoring and
CD burning programs. What do you mean by "copy DVDs"? Do you mean
commercial, encrypted disks? There is free software available that will do
that. The most popular is called DVD Shrink and you can find it with a
Google search. Be aware that defeating copy protection encryption on DVDs is
considered illegal, even if it's just for your own archiving purposes. As
for blank DVDs, don't buy cheap. From the description you've given, it
appears that your burner will only do the + variety, so buy DVD+R as opposed
to DVD-R.