unable to install new NVidia Unified chipset driver on Gig..

Hello. I've tried to install new NVidia Unified chipset drivers
downloaded from the NVidia website. The installer starts, creates a
folder, dumps the driver install files in it, pops up a window with a
picture of a computer and a progress bar. This stays up for about 1
second. When the progress bar reaches 100%, the window disappears, and
the installer quits with no feedback.

I also tried the drivers on teh Gigabyte website. Same problem.

Attempting to uninstall teh current drivers from add or remove programs
causes another open window to flash briefly on top of the add or remove
programs window, then to return to where it was. No drivers are
installed or uninstalled.

Configuration:
XP Pro SP2, latest security patches
Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro2 (Rev 2.x)
Soundblaster Live! XGamer
GForce2 Pro graphics card
Netgear FA311 ethernet
Athlon XP

Yes, I am running this as administrator. No, antivirus software is not
blocking the installation.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Michael

<nooneinparticular314159@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello. I've tried to install new NVidia Unified chipset drivers
> downloaded from the NVidia website. The installer starts, creates a
> folder, dumps the driver install files in it, pops up a window with a
> picture of a computer and a progress bar. This stays up for about 1
> second. When the progress bar reaches 100%, the window disappears, and
> the installer quits with no feedback.
>
> I also tried the drivers on teh Gigabyte website. Same problem.
>
> Attempting to uninstall teh current drivers from add or remove programs
> causes another open window to flash briefly on top of the add or remove
> programs window, then to return to where it was. No drivers are
> installed or uninstalled.
>
> Configuration:
> XP Pro SP2, latest security patches
> Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro2 (Rev 2.x)
> Soundblaster Live! XGamer
> GForce2 Pro graphics card
> Netgear FA311 ethernet
> Athlon XP
>
> Yes, I am running this as administrator. No, antivirus software is not
> blocking the installation.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Michael

Installing drivers from the chip set manufactures is not a good idea.

The down load drivers on the Gigabyte site will *not* install if they are
the same as the local drivers.

Add and remove programs is *not* the way to delete chip set drivers.

GH

Ian

henny wrote:
> <nooneinparticular314159@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Hello. I've tried to install new NVidia Unified chipset drivers
>> downloaded from the NVidia website. The installer starts, creates a
>> folder, dumps the driver install files in it, pops up a window with a
>> picture of a computer and a progress bar. This stays up for about 1
>> second. When the progress bar reaches 100%, the window disappears,
>> and the installer quits with no feedback.
>>
>> I also tried the drivers on teh Gigabyte website. Same problem.
>>
>> Attempting to uninstall teh current drivers from add or remove
>> programs causes another open window to flash briefly on top of the
>> add or remove programs window, then to return to where it was. No
>> drivers are installed or uninstalled.
>>
>> Configuration:
>> XP Pro SP2, latest security patches
>> Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro2 (Rev 2.x)
>> Soundblaster Live! XGamer
>> GForce2 Pro graphics card
>> Netgear FA311 ethernet
>> Athlon XP
>>
>> Yes, I am running this as administrator. No, antivirus software is
>> not blocking the installation.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Michael
>>
> Installing drivers from the chip set manufactures is not a good idea.
>
> The down load drivers on the Gigabyte site will *not* install if they
> are the same as the local drivers.
>
> Add and remove programs is *not* the way to delete chip set drivers.
>
> GH

I don't quite understand that. Reference drivers from Nvidia are fine.
Whether using Nvidia or Via chipsets or whatever I would never suggest
anyone to choose Microsoft Windows included drivers over the chipset maker's
drivers. Nvidia drivers use an installer (you run setup.exe!) and,
therefore, have an uninstaller which can be run from add/remove programs.
That is the way they are designed to be added or removed. However, it may
also be possile to manually pick up drivers using device manager, from an
expanded folder of the Nvidia setup files. I would ask the OP what drivers
he was running previously? If they were a previous version of the Nvidia
unified driver it would probably have been important to uninstall them
first. Try system restore back to that point and start again.