GA-K8NF-9 Faulty board?

miffy

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2004

Need help to determine if this board is faulty.

Here's the setup:
CPU - Amd Newcastle 64 bit 3500
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9
Hdds - 1x Seagate 250gb Sata, 1x Seagate 120gb ata
Graphics - Leadtek 6600GT Extreme Pci Express
Memory - 1 Gig Corsair CMX512-3200C2 as Dual Channel
1x DVD-RW
PSU - 420 Topower
Latest Nvidia nforce and video drivers
Windows XP Pro

The main problems:
1.
Data corruption in sets of rar files. I download a set of 20 files. Test
the archive. Test says files 3,7,11,18 corrupt, crc errors. Test again, now
says 2,9,14 corrupt. Test again, now all OK.
Same thing if set tests OK first time, test it later and I get some corrupt
files. Copy files to same and between drives gives corrupt errors when
tested. No problem with read or write to disk error messages.

2.
Random BSOD crashes.
Messages say:
SPECIAL POOL DETECTED MEMORY CORRUPTION
PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA
Fault in Win32k.sys
Fault in NTFS.sys
and others.

3.
Random failure on program installs, says file faulty - try again. Say yes
and it installs and runs correctly.

What I've tried.
Run Seagate full diagnostic on drives several times - OK
Checked memory serveral times with memtest as per Corsairs recomended
timings, one memory stick on board at a time. - OK
Run various benchmark and test routines without fault.
Changed sata cable, changed ports, wiped and reinstalled operating system
too many times.
No sharing of power cables to drives or dvd.

Thoughts on this problem please while I still have some hair I haven't
pulled out yet.

If, by the latest set of drivers you've used the 6.53 chipset drivers then
that might be your problem. When I installed those drivers I ended up with
having to clear CMOS and reformat the windows partition. 6.39 is as far as
I'd go using this mobo.

Apart from the driver, and assuming your not overclocking, I can only
suggest four other options:

Faulty memory, even though it has passed a test it may fail under random
load - also try reseating the sticks.

Hard disk error, try using only one of your drives for the whole windows &
data setup, if the faults occurs then start again with the other.

CPU - the memory controller is on die, so make sure the CPU isn't getting
too hot and is seated correctly.

Virus - format & install a clean windows set, don't use any of your existing
data until you can replicate the errors.

After this your looking at swaping each component until you find the
responsible item, eg. ram, disk, PSU, CPU, mobo. With a fault like yours it
can be very hard to pinpoint the culprit, I've had a similar problem, on a
different PC, which turned out to be caused by a static damaged memory
stick.

RM schrieb:
> [...]
>>Messages say:
>>SPECIAL POOL DETECTED MEMORY CORRUPTION
>>PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA
>>Fault in Win32k.sys
>>Fault in NTFS.sys
>>and others.
>>
>>3.
>>Random failure on program installs, says file faulty - try again. Say yes
>>and it installs and runs correctly.
>>

>>What I've tried.
>>Run Seagate full diagnostic on drives several times - OK
>>Checked memory serveral times with memtest as per Corsairs recomended
>>timings, one memory stick on board at a time. - OK
>>Run various benchmark and test routines without fault.
>>Changed sata cable, changed ports, wiped and reinstalled operating system
>>too many times.
>>No sharing of power cables to drives or dvd.
>>
>>Thoughts on this problem please while I still have some hair I haven't

Mine runs with the Corsair Value Twin Pack Ram, no problems. I tried to
install the new 6.53 NForce4 driver, but it didnt work. So I keep the
older one, which runs without problems.

Michael

miffy wrote:
> Need help to determine if this board is faulty.

Sounds like bad memory. Since you've already tried pulling one of the
modules and the problem still exists, I'd try swapping it (them) out for
another brand.

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 16:19:31 GMT, Travis Jordan wrote:

> miffy wrote:
>> Need help to determine if this board is faulty.
>
> Sounds like bad memory. Since you've already tried pulling one of the
> modules and the problem still exists, I'd try swapping it (them) out for
> another brand.

I have the samo mobo and graphic card and I also had a lot of problems, but
as i found out try not to install nvidia firewall and try to downclock your
graphic card to a lower speed i put my from 550/1120 to 500/1000 and as for
now it runs all ok !! Before that a got a lot of bsod and it would freeze
sometime for non particular reason ! In past 15 days a formated disk and
installed windows i think 15 times!

Goxy

It is in 6.53. I didn't find out which part of 6.53 make corruption,
but i suspect on nV firewall. But keep away from 6.53. It isn't
important what you get with them, important is what you lose with
them. I have 10 times formated windows because of 6.53. Dude, don't
make mine mistake.