When installing XPpro in my Dell4600, I encountred problem in the USB ports.
When cable was plugged into port1 USB View software can identify it as high
speed, how come when cable was plugged into Port3 it says " NO DEVICE
CONNECTED"? Is there a separate driver in every ports?

Check in the device manager to see if there are any
conflicts or even to see if they show up. On the desktop,
right click on My Computer, go down to properties, click
on Hardware, then device manager.

Look for Universal Serial Bus Connectors, should be a the
bottom. Click on the plus, are there any yellow
exclamation marks? If not, then thats good. If there are,
then you have conflicts.

There should be a Host Controller for each port as well
as a USB Root Hub for each. Mine shows two Host
Controllers and two USB Root Hubs since I have only two
USB ports.

It sounds like you have four or six USB ports? You should
show four/six controllers and four/six Root Hubs.

It almost sounds like they aren't physically connected.
All four of the USB ports on on the back? Or are there
two in the front?

Did you have this problem BEFORE the install?

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Anne" <Anne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When installing XPpro in my Dell4600, I encountred problem in the USB
> ports.
> When cable was plugged into port1 USB View software can identify it as
> high
> speed, how come when cable was plugged into Port3 it says " NO DEVICE
> CONNECTED"? Is there a separate driver in every ports?

Check this our: Start > Control panel > System > Hardware > Device manager

expand Universal serial bus controllers > double click USB root hub > select
power management ????see if allow the computer to turn off this
device.......
is checked.