Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

GA-8KNXP rev 2 CMOS forgets some settings

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 17, 2005 2:10:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

I'm having a bad week with my Gigabyte Mobo pcs!

On three occasions recently my revision 2 GA-8KNXP halts on startup with the
message CMOS checksum failure, loading defaults. Then gives the option to
carry on or go into the BIOS to modify the defaults. (This does not happen
every day when I first switch on, but apparently randomly).

As I'm using the Silicon image RAID, I usually go into the BIOS and switch
off the other RAIDS, and on-screen branding etc. This is a pain, especially
when in a hurry!

My first thought is that the CMOS battery could be at fault, but it is only
a year old, and the date and time remain correct, which suggests that the
battery is O.K.

After shutting down the PC, which is plugged into a Belkin surge protecting
plug board, I unplug the mains lead from the plug board to the wall each
night. Could this cause a spike which affects the BIOS checksum? (If so, I
could switch off at the plug board first).

Under frequency/voltage control I have selected 'Racing' as the speed
setting. Anything faster fails to boot.

Finally, I'm not using the latest (Beta) BIOS, but the one before.

I have no instability while the computer is switched on and running.

I'd be interested to read your comments.

John.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 17, 2005 2:10:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

> On three occasions recently my revision 2 GA-8KNXP halts on startup with the
> message CMOS checksum failure, loading defaults. Then gives the option to
> carry on or go into the BIOS to modify the defaults. (This does not happen
> every day when I first switch on, but apparently randomly).


I've had the same message. Either your battery is old, or your battery
is not seated properly. In any case, remove the battery, re-seat it,
and if that doesn't fix the problem, buy a new one.


> Under frequency/voltage control I have selected 'Racing' as the speed
> setting. Anything faster fails to boot.

That's a completely separate issue... I find my 8KNXP's "top
performance" mode to be rather unstable, so I manually overclock/tweak
things by hand.


Kris
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 17, 2005 3:55:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

"Bioboffin" <Reply_to_Group_please@zzz.invalid> wrote in message
news:QCq8e.5658$v82.2838@newsfe5-gui.ntli.net...
> I'm having a bad week with my Gigabyte Mobo pcs!
>
> On three occasions recently my revision 2 GA-8KNXP halts on startup with
> the message CMOS checksum failure, loading defaults. Then gives the option
> to carry on or go into the BIOS to modify the defaults. (This does not
> happen every day when I first switch on, but apparently randomly).
>
> As I'm using the Silicon image RAID, I usually go into the BIOS and switch
> off the other RAIDS, and on-screen branding etc. This is a pain,
> especially when in a hurry!
>
> My first thought is that the CMOS battery could be at fault, but it is
> only a year old, and the date and time remain correct, which suggests that
> the battery is O.K.
>
> After shutting down the PC, which is plugged into a Belkin surge
> protecting plug board, I unplug the mains lead from the plug board to the
> wall each night. Could this cause a spike which affects the BIOS checksum?
> (If so, I could switch off at the plug board first).
>
> Under frequency/voltage control I have selected 'Racing' as the speed
> setting. Anything faster fails to boot.
>
> Finally, I'm not using the latest (Beta) BIOS, but the one before.
>
> I have no instability while the computer is switched on and running.
>
> I'd be interested to read your comments.
>
> John.
>

Try reflashing the BIOS, clear the CMOS and then load the default settings.
Leave all options at default and see if it happens again. If it still
happens then I'd guess you have a faulty BIOS chip.

I unplug my PC when not in use, to protect against transient voltages, all
it means is CMSO battery lasts 3 years instead of 5.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 17, 2005 5:01:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

RM wrote:
> "Bioboffin" <Reply_to_Group_please@zzz.invalid> wrote in message
> news:QCq8e.5658$v82.2838@newsfe5-gui.ntli.net...
>> I'm having a bad week with my Gigabyte Mobo pcs!
>>
>> On three occasions recently my revision 2 GA-8KNXP halts on startup
>> with the message CMOS checksum failure, loading defaults. Then gives
>> the option to carry on or go into the BIOS to modify the defaults.
>> (This does not happen every day when I first switch on, but
>> apparently randomly). As I'm using the Silicon image RAID, I usually go
>> into the BIOS and
>> switch off the other RAIDS, and on-screen branding etc. This is a
>> pain, especially when in a hurry!
>>
>> My first thought is that the CMOS battery could be at fault, but it
>> is only a year old, and the date and time remain correct, which
>> suggests that the battery is O.K.
>>
>> After shutting down the PC, which is plugged into a Belkin surge
>> protecting plug board, I unplug the mains lead from the plug board
>> to the wall each night. Could this cause a spike which affects the
>> BIOS checksum? (If so, I could switch off at the plug board first).
>>
>> Under frequency/voltage control I have selected 'Racing' as the speed
>> setting. Anything faster fails to boot.
>>
>> Finally, I'm not using the latest (Beta) BIOS, but the one before.
>>
>> I have no instability while the computer is switched on and running.
>>

>
> Try reflashing the BIOS, clear the CMOS and then load the default
> settings. Leave all options at default and see if it happens again.
> If it still happens then I'd guess you have a faulty BIOS chip.
>
> I unplug my PC when not in use, to protect against transient
> voltages, all it means is CMSO battery lasts 3 years instead of 5.

Yes, good advice. I'll try reflashing the BIOS.

John.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 17, 2005 8:58:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

Kris Vorwerk wrote:
>> On three occasions recently my revision 2 GA-8KNXP halts on startup
>> with the message CMOS checksum failure, loading defaults. Then gives
>> the option to carry on or go into the BIOS to modify the defaults.
>> (This does not happen every day when I first switch on, but
>> apparently randomly).
>
>
> I've had the same message. Either your battery is old, or your
> battery is not seated properly. In any case, remove the battery,
> re-seat it, and if that doesn't fix the problem, buy a new one.
>
>> Under frequency/voltage control I have selected 'Racing' as the speed
>> setting. Anything faster fails to boot.
>
> That's a completely separate issue... I find my 8KNXP's "top
> performance" mode to be rather unstable, so I manually overclock/tweak
> things by hand.

O.K. I've removed the battery and put it back in. I recalled that although I
said it happened randomly, the last two times were after the PC had been
turned on all day. (Rather than just in the evening.) I guess that if the
battery was a bit loose, the heat produced from an all day session might
cause enough expansion and then contraction for it to lose contact with the
socket when the PC is turned off at night.

As it happens I have a spare battery (yes I know I'm sad), so I'll try that
if the reseating thing doesn't work.

Thanks for your help, Kris.
!