Frustrating wireless networking problem.....please help.

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
March 12, 2005 3:53:36 AM

I have two pc's connected via usb wireless network adapters in adhoc
mode....both running Windows 98.
My pc is the host and connects to the net via a bradband usb modem and I
dont have any problems.
My daughters pc which is new will not connect to the internet through the
network even though both pc's can see each other and transfer files without
any problems.
My daughters pc is new and her old pc found the internet connection straight
away.
So I know that the problem isnt with my pc as I havent changed any settings.
I have checked and double checked all available settings in network
properties and everything seems fine.
I have ICS installed on my pc.
I have tried disabling Zonealarm even though her pc is in the trusted zone.
I have disabled Trend Micro Pccillin antivirus but still no connection.
I am hoping that someone with more knowledge than me can spare some time to
help me with this problem as its really stressing me out.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
March 12, 2005 3:53:37 AM

Is the new PC running Windows XP?

If it is, Start->Run...->type "cmd"->type "ipconfig /all" and post the
results.

If the new PC is running Windows 98, you want to run "winipcfg" (or similar;
the last time I did this was many years ago) in order to see the settings.
Compare what you see on the old and new PC.

Does the new PC have TCP/IP enabled for the network card (check the device
settings)? You can transfer files on a LAN using IPX/SPX and other
protocols but those protocols will not work for accessing the internet.

-Yves

"Drummerboy" <steve.wicks@"nospam"dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message

> I have two pc's connected via usb wireless network adapters in adhoc
> mode....both running Windows 98.
> My pc is the host and connects to the net via a bradband usb modem and I
> dont have any problems.
> My daughters pc which is new will not connect to the internet through the
> network even though both pc's can see each other and transfer files
> without
> any problems.
> My daughters pc is new and her old pc found the internet connection
> straight
> away.
> So I know that the problem isnt with my pc as I havent changed any
> settings.
> I have checked and double checked all available settings in network
> properties and everything seems fine.
> I have ICS installed on my pc.
> I have tried disabling Zonealarm even though her pc is in the trusted
> zone.
> I have disabled Trend Micro Pccillin antivirus but still no connection.
> I am hoping that someone with more knowledge than me can spare some time
> help me with this problem as its really stressing me out.

March 12, 2005 3:57:17 PM

Ok I've run winipcfg but I am not quite sure what to do with the
information.
I have 4 items in the drop down menu on my pc.
1:BT Voyager USB adapter.
2:ICS share adapter.
3:Microsoft TV/Video connection.
4:VIA Rhine 11ethernet adapter.

And on the problem pc there are 2 items.
1:VIA Rhine 11 fast ethernet adapter.
2:BT Voyager USB adapter.

"Yves Konigshofer" <ykoniREMOVEgshofer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o yeVVcsJFHA.616@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Is the new PC running Windows XP?
>
> If it is, Start->Run...->type "cmd"->type "ipconfig /all" and post the
> results.
>
> If the new PC is running Windows 98, you want to run "winipcfg" (or
similar;
> the last time I did this was many years ago) in order to see the settings.
> Compare what you see on the old and new PC.
>
> Does the new PC have TCP/IP enabled for the network card (check the device
> settings)? You can transfer files on a LAN using IPX/SPX and other
> protocols but those protocols will not work for accessing the internet.
>
> -Yves
>
> "Drummerboy" <steve.wicks@"nospam"dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
> >
> > I have two pc's connected via usb wireless network adapters in adhoc
> > mode....both running Windows 98.
> > My pc is the host and connects to the net via a bradband usb modem and I
> > dont have any problems.
> > My daughters pc which is new will not connect to the internet through
the
> > network even though both pc's can see each other and transfer files
> > without
> > any problems.
> > My daughters pc is new and her old pc found the internet connection
> > straight
> > away.
> > So I know that the problem isnt with my pc as I havent changed any
> > settings.
> > I have checked and double checked all available settings in network
> > properties and everything seems fine.
> > I have ICS installed on my pc.
> > I have tried disabling Zonealarm even though her pc is in the trusted
> > zone.
> > I have disabled Trend Micro Pccillin antivirus but still no connection.
> > I am hoping that someone with more knowledge than me can spare some time
> > help me with this problem as its really stressing me out.

a b F Wireless
March 12, 2005 3:57:18 PM

> Ok I've run winipcfg but I am not quite sure what to do with the
> information.
> I have 4 items in the drop down menu on my pc.
> 1:BT Voyager USB adapter.
> 2:ICS share adapter.
> 3:Microsoft TV/Video connection.
> 4:VIA Rhine 11ethernet adapter.
>
> And on the problem pc there are 2 items.
> 1:VIA Rhine 11 fast ethernet adapter.
> 2:BT Voyager USB adapter.

Not sure if I understand what you are trying to do, but it looks like you
are not using the on-board NIC's (i.e. VIA Rhine 11 fast ethernet adapter).
If this is the case try disabling this in the BIOS of the problem computer.

Kerry
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
March 12, 2005 8:12:04 PM

Can you post the IP and Gateway addresses that you get on the computer that
works and the one that does not?

-Yves

"Drummerboy" <steve.wicks@"nospam"dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
> Ok I've run winipcfg but I am not quite sure what to do with the
> information.
> I have 4 items in the drop down menu on my pc.
> 1:BT Voyager USB adapter.
> 2:ICS share adapter.
> 3:Microsoft TV/Video connection.
> 4:VIA Rhine 11ethernet adapter.
>
> And on the problem pc there are 2 items.
> 1:VIA Rhine 11 fast ethernet adapter.
> 2:BT Voyager USB adapter.
>

> "Yves Konigshofer" <ykoniREMOVEgshofer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:o yeVVcsJFHA.616@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> Is the new PC running Windows XP?
>>
>> If it is, Start->Run...->type "cmd"->type "ipconfig /all" and post the
>> results.
>>
>> If the new PC is running Windows 98, you want to run "winipcfg" (or
> similar;
>> the last time I did this was many years ago) in order to see the
>> settings.
>> Compare what you see on the old and new PC.
>>
>> Does the new PC have TCP/IP enabled for the network card (check the
>> device
>> settings)? You can transfer files on a LAN using IPX/SPX and other
>> protocols but those protocols will not work for accessing the internet.
>>
>> -Yves
>>
>> "Drummerboy" <steve.wicks@"nospam"dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > I have two pc's connected via usb wireless network adapters in adhoc
>> > mode....both running Windows 98.
>> > My pc is the host and connects to the net via a bradband usb modem and
>> > dont have any problems.
>> > My daughters pc which is new will not connect to the internet through
> the
>> > network even though both pc's can see each other and transfer files
>> > without
>> > any problems.
>> > My daughters pc is new and her old pc found the internet connection
>> > straight
>> > away.
>> > So I know that the problem isnt with my pc as I havent changed any
>> > settings.
>> > I have checked and double checked all available settings in network
>> > properties and everything seems fine.
>> > I have ICS installed on my pc.
>> > I have tried disabling Zonealarm even though her pc is in the trusted
>> > zone.
>> > I have disabled Trend Micro Pccillin antivirus but still no connection.
>> > I am hoping that someone with more knowledge than me can spare some
>> > time
>> > help me with this problem as its really stressing me out.

March 13, 2005 10:58:07 PM

Yes I could if I new how to find that information.
Can you help me with that?

> Can you post the IP and Gateway addresses that you get on the computer
that
> works and the one that does not?
>
> -Yves
>
> "Drummerboy" <steve.wicks@"nospam"dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
> > Ok I've run winipcfg but I am not quite sure what to do with the
> > information.
> > I have 4 items in the drop down menu on my pc.
> > 1:BT Voyager USB adapter.
> > 2:ICS share adapter.
> > 3:Microsoft TV/Video connection.
> > 4:VIA Rhine 11ethernet adapter.
> >
> > And on the problem pc there are 2 items.
> > 1:VIA Rhine 11 fast ethernet adapter.
> > 2:BT Voyager USB adapter.
> >

> > "Yves Konigshofer" <ykoniREMOVEgshofer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > news:o yeVVcsJFHA.616@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> >> Is the new PC running Windows XP?
> >>
> >> If it is, Start->Run...->type "cmd"->type "ipconfig /all" and post the
> >> results.
> >>
> >> If the new PC is running Windows 98, you want to run "winipcfg" (or
> > similar;
> >> the last time I did this was many years ago) in order to see the
> >> settings.
> >> Compare what you see on the old and new PC.
> >>
> >> Does the new PC have TCP/IP enabled for the network card (check the
> >> device
> >> settings)? You can transfer files on a LAN using IPX/SPX and other
> >> protocols but those protocols will not work for accessing the internet.
> >>
> >> -Yves
> >>
> >> "Drummerboy" <steve.wicks@"nospam"dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message

> > the

March 13, 2005 11:15:56 PM

I did it.
Here goes.
My computer.

Windows 98 IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . : ELLIS AND DAD
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . : 62.241.162.200
158.43.240.3
Node Type . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
NetBIOS Scope ID. . . . . . :
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . : Yes
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . : No
NetBIOS Resolution Uses DNS : No

0 Ethernet adapter :

Description . . . . . . . . : BT Voyager 1010 USB Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . : 00-90-96-6C-FC-04
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . :
Primary WINS Server . . . . :
Secondary WINS Server . . . :
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . :
Lease Expires . . . . . . . :

1 Ethernet adapter :

Description . . . . . . . . : ICSHARE Adapter.
Physical Address. . . . . . : 44-45-53-54-00-00
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 81.178.78.14
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 255.0.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . : 81.178.78.14
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
Primary WINS Server . . . . :
Secondary WINS Server . . . :
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . : 01 01 80 12:00:00 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . : 01 01 80 12:00:00 AM
My daughters machine.

Windows 98 IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . : GRACE
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2
192.168.0.1
Node Type . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
NetBIOS Scope ID. . . . . . :
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . : No
NetBIOS Resolution Uses DNS : No

0 Ethernet adapter :

Description . . . . . . . . : Microsoft TV/Video Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 2.0.0.1
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
Primary WINS Server . . . . :
Secondary WINS Server . . . :
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . :
Lease Expires . . . . . . . :

1 Ethernet adapter :

Description . . . . . . . . : VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . : 00-11-D8-2E-09-55
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.85
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2
Primary WINS Server . . . . : 192.168.0.2
Secondary WINS Server . . . :
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . : 03 13 05 11:40:33
Lease Expires . . . . . . . : 03 27 05 11:40:33

2 Ethernet adapter :

Description . . . . . . . . : BT Voyager 1010 USB Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . : 00-90-96-77-3F-BB
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
Primary WINS Server . . . . :
Secondary WINS Server . . . :
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . : 03 13 05 11:40:45
Lease Expires . . . . . . . : 03 14 05 11:40:45
> Yes I could if I new how to find that information.
> Can you help me with that?
>

> "Yves Konigshofer" <ykoniREMOVEgshofer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Can you post the IP and Gateway addresses that you get on the computer
> that
> > works and the one that does not?
> >
> > -Yves
> >
> > "Drummerboy" <steve.wicks@"nospam"dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
> > > Ok I've run winipcfg but I am not quite sure what to do with the
> > > information.
> > > I have 4 items in the drop down menu on my pc.
> > > 1:BT Voyager USB adapter.
> > > 2:ICS share adapter.
> > > 3:Microsoft TV/Video connection.
> > > 4:VIA Rhine 11ethernet adapter.
> > >
> > > And on the problem pc there are 2 items.
> > > 1:VIA Rhine 11 fast ethernet adapter.
> > > 2:BT Voyager USB adapter.
> > >

> > > "Yves Konigshofer" <ykoniREMOVEgshofer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > news:o yeVVcsJFHA.616@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

> > > similar;

> and
> > > the
> connection.

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
March 14, 2005 4:38:00 PM

Weird. You have a lot of network adapters.

The one thing I notice is that on "GRACE" the DNS servers are configured as
192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.1. The "BT Voyager 1010 USB Adapter" on that
computer has the IP address of 192.168.0.2 and thus DNS lookups on that
computer might be sent to itself. On "ELLIS AND DAD" the DNS servers are
62.241.162.200 and 158.43.240.3 and similar numbers should appear on "GRACE"
unless ICS also sets up a DNS server on "ELLIS AND DAD" in which case only
192.168.0.1 should appear (not 192.168.0.2).

On "GRACE," if you ping 171.67.1.1 do you get a reply? (open up a command
prompt and type "ping 171.67.1.1"; I think that ping should be in Windows
98) If you get a reply but cannot otherwise access the internet, then it's
a DNS issue.

Also, on "GRACE," is the "VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter" connected to
something?

You might want to look into replacing the broadband USB modem with one that
could be connected to a computer through ethernet. That way you can connect
a router to it and simplify the network a bit. By putting a router between
the internet and your network, you also have an effective way to keep a
large number of worms from reaching your computers.

> [...]
> Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
> Default Gateway . . . . . . :
> Primary WINS Server . . . . :
> Secondary WINS Server . . . :
> Lease Obtained. . . . . . . :
> Lease Expires . . . . . . . :
>
> 1 Ethernet adapter :
>
> Description . . . . . . . . : ICSHARE Adapter.
> Physical Address. . . . . . : 44-45-53-54-00-00
> DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
> IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 81.178.78.14
> Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 255.0.0.0
> Default Gateway . . . . . . : 81.178.78.14
> DHCP Server . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
> Primary WINS Server . . . . :
> Secondary WINS Server . . . :
> Lease Obtained. . . . . . . : 01 01 80 12:00:00 AM
> Lease Expires . . . . . . . : 01 01 80 12:00:00 AM
> My daughters machine.
>
> Windows 98 IP Configuration
>
> Host Name . . . . . . . . . : GRACE
> DNS Servers . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2
> 192.168.0.1
> Node Type . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
> NetBIOS Scope ID. . . . . . :
> IP Routing Enabled. . . . . : No
> WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . : No
> NetBIOS Resolution Uses DNS : No
>
> 0 Ethernet adapter :
>
> Description . . . . . . . . : Microsoft TV/Video Connection
> Physical Address. . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00
> DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
> IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 2.0.0.1
> Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
> Default Gateway . . . . . . :
> Primary WINS Server . . . . :
> Secondary WINS Server . . . :
> Lease Obtained. . . . . . . :
> Lease Expires . . . . . . . :
>
> 1 Ethernet adapter :
>
> Description . . . . . . . . : VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter
> Physical Address. . . . . . : 00-11-D8-2E-09-55
> DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
> IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.85
> Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
> Default Gateway . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
> DHCP Server . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2
> Primary WINS Server . . . . : 192.168.0.2
> Secondary WINS Server . . . :
> Lease Obtained. . . . . . . : 03 13 05 11:40:33
> Lease Expires . . . . . . . : 03 27 05 11:40:33
>
> 2 Ethernet adapter :
>
> Description . . . . . . . . : BT Voyager 1010 USB Adapter
> Physical Address. . . . . . : 00-90-96-77-3F-BB
> DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
> IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2
> Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
> Default Gateway . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
> DHCP Server . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
> Primary WINS Server . . . . :
> Secondary WINS Server . . . :
> Lease Obtained. . . . . . . : 03 13 05 11:40:45
> Lease Expires . . . . . . . : 03 14 05 11:40:45
> "Drummerboy" <steve.wicks@"nospam"dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
>> Yes I could if I new how to find that information.
>> Can you help me with that?
>>

>> "Yves Konigshofer" <ykoniREMOVEgshofer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Can you post the IP and Gateway addresses that you get on the computer

March 15, 2005 10:47:28 AM

Hello
I've got it working.
Someone advised me to remove TCP/IP settings for anything but Wireless
network adapter and hey presto its working.
Thankyou very much for the help you gave me.
If it wasn't for people like you then people like me wouldn't be able to
enjoy computers so much.
Regards
Steve.

!