Intel 10/100 lan driver

I recently enabled the onbard LAN port of my GA-8IEXP, installed
the LAN driver from the distribution CD, and installed a DSL
connection. The Intel 10/100 LAN driver on the distribution CD is
rev 6.1.3.0 from February 2002, whereas the latest version is
7.0.26 on the Giga-byte Web site. Is there a significant advantage
to the newer version? If so, is there anything special I should do
to install it over the earlier version? I am running Windows XP
Home SP1 with all of the updates before February 2005.

Russell May

Ian

Russell May wrote:
> I recently enabled the onbard LAN port of my GA-8IEXP, installed
> the LAN driver from the distribution CD, and installed a DSL
> connection. The Intel 10/100 LAN driver on the distribution CD is
> rev 6.1.3.0 from February 2002, whereas the latest version is
> 7.0.26 on the Giga-byte Web site. Is there a significant advantage
> to the newer version? If so, is there anything special I should do
> to install it over the earlier version? I am running Windows XP
> Home SP1 with all of the updates before February 2005.
>
> Russell May

To the best of my knowledge the Inter driver runs from a setup file and will
overwrite an older version successfully. I am surprised that Windows Update
hasn't already offered you a newer driver than the one you have.